PDA

View Full Version : I must be the unluckiest SOB on the planet!!!!!

willyqbc
06-24-2011, 06:50 PM
Ok....just gotta vent for a moment. Now we all know it sucks not to get your moose draw, but given the odds on that kind of draw I accept that I won't get drawn very often and its a bonus if I do. HOWEVER, the reults just came out for Wyoming pronghorn that both Tank and I put in for this year. Now this draw is as close to a certainty as you are going to find. Last year there were something like 800 tags for the area we wanted and somewhere in the neighbourhood of 787 people got their tags....for those of you doin the math in their heads....thats a 98.3% success rate for the draw. In addition it works like our group draws where as long as 1 of you draws you both get tags. Based on the rant I'm sure you can see where this is going...........with 98.3% odds, neither Tank or I got drawn:confused::cry:
HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE??????????
Good Grief.......I'm gonna go pout now and try and figure out what to do instead this year.....un-freakin-believeable!!!

Chris

P.S. reply to this post at your own peril as some of my luck may rub off if you get too close!!!!!:?

LYKTOHUNT
06-24-2011, 06:57 PM
maybe its Canuck unfriendly,just sayin, you and James would not have fun anyways, what with no packing a few hundred pounds of critters out of the bush and steep stuff, it would hardly be a challenge.

nature girl
06-24-2011, 06:58 PM
Maybe go and buy yourself something that you always wanted. Since you arent going to wyoming now you have more $$$$. Or maybe Gatehouse and Proguide will get there new business up and you can plan a hunt with you and Tank.
I feel your pain I put in for 5 LEh draws this year and I never got any. But British Columbia has so much to offer for hunting so we shouldnt complain to much.

Riverratz
06-24-2011, 07:00 PM
I can reply because I never get drawn either, your bad luck karma is of no consequence to me.

Obviously you and your partner were two of the 802 people that applied for 800 tags.

kuiu
06-24-2011, 07:01 PM
Sorry, but I really can't feel sorry for a guy that can afford a Wyoming hunt.

Steeleco
06-24-2011, 07:03 PM
How is it that there's 13 more tags than estimated applicants and you two guys didn't get at least one? Sounds like that lottery is ran by the same people that do ours!!
No risk posting mind you Chris, I got a NIL for my moose tag too. Be consoled with the fact that you live in the best parts of the best place on earth!!

dana
06-24-2011, 07:17 PM
IIRC Montana has speedgoats over the counter. Shorter drive too. ;)

Blainer
06-24-2011, 07:38 PM
I'm in the Montana lottery for pronghorn,which is drawn in July.
I hope I have better luck and I'm wondering if you can still enter?

06-24-2011, 07:45 PM
Good Grief.......I'm gonna go pout now and try and figure out what to do instead this year.....un-freakin-believeable!!!

What do you mean? You call home an a area some of us would give various body parts to call our home hunting turf!! LOL Don't feel too bad, I applied for a goat
draw this year at even odds........nada!!

emerson
06-24-2011, 08:12 PM
I tried an elk draw this year that had 0.3 odds last year. No go.

Gunner
06-24-2011, 08:28 PM
I'm in the Montana lottery for pronghorn,which is drawn in July.
I hope I have better luck and I'm wondering if you can still enter?
Too late,the Montana draw is closed and no over the counter tags this year because of two very severe winters in a row.This past winter was brutal.Numbers of speed goats are way down and so are the number of tag authorizations.I didn't put in the Montana draw this year for that reason. Gunner

Marc
06-24-2011, 08:50 PM
Hey Chris,

I feel your pain man, you know I've been trying for several years to get the moose draw, hell I even jinxed you the time I came up and we went to an any bull area and didn't see jack shit for moose. I've seen the kind of hunting that can be had in your neck of the woods and I'll be up there again sometime to make another visit. It sux when a plan doesn't go together but there is still lots to do up in your neck of the woods with great eats.

willyqbc
06-24-2011, 09:53 PM
Sorry, but I really can't feel sorry for a guy that can afford a Wyoming hunt.

You'd be surprised how cheap these hunts can be had! I spend darn near as much on 1 fishing trip to rupert and 1 week chasing elk up north!

How is it that there's 13 more tags than estimated applicants and you two guys didn't get at least one? Sounds like that lottery is ran by the same people that do ours!!
No risk posting mind you Chris, I got a NIL for my moose tag too. Be consoled with the fact that you live in the best parts of the best place on earth!!

HAHA!! sorry, got my numbers backwards there steeleco, I can't recall the exact numbers from last year but I do remember there were only 13 applicants who didn't get drawn!

As many have said at least there are plenty of other options living here in B.C. and once I get over pouting i will figure out what to do instead.......any suggestions????

Chris

06-25-2011, 01:39 AM
Ok....just gotta vent for a moment. Now we all know it sucks not to get your moose draw, but given the odds on that kind of draw I accept that I won't get drawn very often and its a bonus if I do. HOWEVER, the reults just came out for Wyoming pronghorn that both Tank and I put in for this year. Now this draw is as close to a certainty as you are going to find. Last year there were something like 800 tags for the area we wanted and somewhere in the neighbourhood of 787 people got their tags....for those of you doin the math in their heads....thats a 98.3% success rate for the draw. In addition it works like our group draws where as long as 1 of you draws you both get tags. Based on the rant I'm sure you can see where this is going...........with 98.3% odds, neither Tank or I got drawn:confused::cry:
HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE??????????

Chris

P.S. reply to this post at your own peril as some of my luck may rub off if you get too close!!!!!:?

Wyoming has a 20% cap on non-resident antelope tags, 8% go to outfitters and 12% go in the draw to be awarded to self-outfitterd non-residents. That's only 96 tags that are available for non-residents and once they're given out no more non-residents are awarded tags (limit is 12% of 800). Same in Montana except their cap is 10% of total tags available, when those tags are awarded no more non-resident tags are issued even though resident hunters often under-subscribe the antelope hunts.

With legislated percentages at least it's non-negotiable and they're free from the constant squabbling we endure here in BC regarding non-resident allocation. We in BC should perhaps give that system some thought...???

hunter1947
06-25-2011, 01:52 AM
Maybe its because you are a Canadian ???? who knows maybe your numbers came up and they dumped it ???.

willyqbc
06-25-2011, 08:23 AM
Wyoming has a 20% cap on non-resident antelope tags, 8% go to outfitters and 12% go in the draw to be awarded to self-outfitterd non-residents. That's only 96 tags that are available for non-residents and once they're given out no more non-residents are awarded tags (limit is 12% of 800). Same in Montana except their cap is 10% of total tags available, when those tags are awarded no more non-resident tags are issued even though resident hunters often under-subscribe the antelope hunts.

Hmmmmm....thats interesting, outfitter we were talking to takes lots of canadians every year and has never had any of them have a problem getting a tag. Is this a fairly new system for Wyoming? The fellow we were looking at hunting with seemed to think the draw was pretty much a formality, and its not like he was trying to fleece us as he wouldn't accept a deposit or anything until the draw was done......dunno, maybe he didn't have a clue what he was talking about.

Chris

06-25-2011, 09:58 AM
Hmmmmm....thats interesting, outfitter we were talking to takes lots of canadians every year and has never had any of them have a problem getting a tag. Is this a fairly new system for Wyoming? The fellow we were looking at hunting with seemed to think the draw was pretty much a formality, and its not like he was trying to fleece us as he wouldn't accept a deposit or anything until the draw was done......dunno, maybe he didn't have a clue what he was talking about.
Chris

Maybe it's likeGunner said and the number of tags is reduced making the odds greater.

In spite of the non-resident cap it's still usually relativelly easy to get that draw, 20% allocated to non-residents is twice as many as most other states allow. Even Montana capped at only 10% is usually fairly easy to draw. The non-resident allocation is usually over-subscribed so there are always those who don't get drawn. The resident allocation in most cases is under-subscribed so any resident who applies usually gets the draw. The fact that the draw for residents is under-utilized doesn't effect the non-resident success in drawing, non-residents are always limited by the cap even if there's un-used resident tags.

I don't know how the 8 and 12 non-resident percentages are divided up, maybe the outfitters get the tags assigned and their clients don't have to draw...????

Did you have to specify whether you were using an outfitter on your application, if so that segement of the allocation was limited to 8%. If you specified you were not using an outfitter that segement of the allocation was limited to 12%.

Last time I applied in Wyoming (around 2000) for an extra optional fee I was put in a preferred odds draw. Also there's a voluntary fund that you can contribute to that funds landowner access fees for landowners who join the hunter management area system. You get a sticker for your truck window when you contribute. I've heard that if you don't have that sticker some landowners are reluctant to allow access.

RiverOtter
06-25-2011, 10:56 AM
Haven't read all the posts in this thread, so it may have already been mentioned, but I did read on an American site that Wyoming had a major Mule deer/Antelope die off last winter.....