PDA

View Full Version : First Moose?

madrona sh
06-24-2011, 03:08 PM
I have never hunted Moose. So here is my moose hunting problem.
I want to hunt my first Moose solo by canoe and on foot.
Anyone on here ever do this and any tips?

Cheers

quadrakid
06-24-2011, 03:19 PM
I hunt solo quite often.Having said that its a really good idea to have a partner for moose.Trying to deal with a moose that drops in a bad spot solo can be a nightmare. Regardless, learn to call before you go,you don,t have to be an expert,moose in the rut can be silly. Solo or not i wish you good luck,nothing quite like getting your first bullwinkle.

LYKTOHUNT
06-24-2011, 03:29 PM
Nice way to hunt but be carefull, dont drop one of those big moose quarters through the bottom of the canoe that would put a damper on your trip

bforce750
06-24-2011, 03:38 PM
Loose the canoe and get a light zodiac....much safer..lol

madrona sh
06-24-2011, 03:49 PM
It's to do the BC Classics Solo Canoe Moose
Solo Down Hill Bear
Solo Mature Blacktail (No Button tops)

MuleyMadness
06-24-2011, 04:22 PM
Snatch block and come along would be my recommendation for a fairly lightweight help to assist you with moving the sucker around. 500-700lbs of dead weight is something to behold, even with 3 or 4 guys. I have found a small come along to be invaluable for helping move a moose around and even for getting it up on a meat pole for hanging.

You might also want to practice with your canoe with some sort of sloppy dead weight thing, like a trial run. A huge animal like that is going to blow your canoe's handing right away.

Kalum
06-24-2011, 04:28 PM
Dease river...

madrona sh
06-24-2011, 04:29 PM
I would be going for a Meat Moose. What do you think that would weight in at, deboned in field. With antlers for my dog?

emerson
06-24-2011, 04:40 PM
I'm going after a moose this year, often solo, but all I have to do is pack it back to the truck in pieces. After I do it once, I'll probably get over the idea of the solo moose trip stuff, but trying to do it with a canoe is a whole nother level of "holy shit, this is brutal".

MuleyMadness
06-24-2011, 05:21 PM
I would be going for a Meat Moose. What do you think that would weight in at, deboned in field. With antlers for my dog?

Well that's a good question, never really weighed any moose I have shot after deboning it...I would count on 250 or so, depending on what all you take, if just going for a smaller bull.... (remember you need to save the skull cap and the antlers). It's not so much the weight of it deboned that I'm thinking of, but rather GETTING it dressed, skinned, and deboned all by your lonesome. Good luck, that's a hell of an adventure.

M.Dean
06-24-2011, 05:21 PM
I hope your in way better shape than I!!! I shot lots of Deer alone, and one Moose that comes to mind! In 2007 I had a LEH for a Bull up here, I shot one alone, he was only about 200 yards off the road, but in a logging landing that had the stumps turned and deactivated! After the 3 shots, I walked up and cleaned the Moose, then pounded my 450 Yama up to him, winched him facing the road and tried to drag him out whole because of dirt and mud. Not on your life! I ended up running the winch cable out to the rocks I dug around to get the cable to bit in, and also to stumps that were level with the ground, I had to dig around them, then chain saw a grove in to hold the cable! It took me 8 hours to get that bull to the road. Thank God for chain saws! I cut his legs off, then the head, cut through the ribs with my knife and axe, then tried to load the halves into my small trailer. That is a story all of it's own! Your going to need a real good knife, a skinning Axe works great to help gut and to quarter the moose, or have a good meat saw of some type. Take 6 big game bags to put the quarters in, a decent pack in case your packing the quarters a ways and your good to go! Take a good camera, and Good Luck!!!

madrona sh
06-24-2011, 05:25 PM
I plan to do a video of the adventure.

buck nash
06-24-2011, 05:45 PM
It's pretty ambitious. You'll need a big and sturdy canoe and be sure to go in very light so you have capacity to carry it out. You're in for a tough paddle out if you're successful. Good suggestion by MuleyMadness about practicing with that much weight. Maybe get about 4 friends to sit in your canoe and see how it goes with just you doing the paddling. A canoe's pretty hard to control with that kind of weight. By no means impossile but you should try some sort of practice run so you aren't surprised. It'd be shame to scuttle a moose.

Ride Red
06-24-2011, 06:09 PM
Wow, your adventureous alright, maybe a little crazy. Depending on where your planning to hunt, south in the province or up north. If your up north those moose can weight up to 1500 lbs on the hoof and down south up to 900 lbs on the hoof. I've done solo trips before and they're tough enough, now throwing in the canoe option is another story. You won't be packing a whole moose out in one shot even with a freighter canoe. All I can say is good luck, be careful and watch for bears when your cleaning your game. I'd hate to see the news of a bear in a canoe with you draped over the middle. Again, good luck.

madrona sh
06-24-2011, 06:13 PM
Ha, that would be a sight.

Riverratz
06-24-2011, 06:26 PM
Not solo, but I have packed moose in a canoe.
Here's a story of one -
- while out in a small (14ft.) canoe, a buddy shot a moose right at last light on the lake shore. It was too big to handle, there was no way that little piss-pot of a canoe was going to carry anything other than him & his partner, so they came for help

I had an 18 ft. Clipper Expedition (freighter style/fiberglas-kevlar)
It carried one 2x3 bull moose, wife, me, 2 paddles, 5 hp o/b motor on the back end, day equipment/packs, rifles, chain saw, axe , fuel, come-along, ropes, etc. Total weight on board about 1100 - 1200 lb......definitely max'd out. (Canoe was rated up to 1200# as I recall).
The moose; 4 quarters-hide on, (no feet), one head/neck with 2x3 rack attached - about 550-600 lb. Could have lost some weight by skinning the quarters, de-boning, and leaving the head behind, but it was pitch black, and we were in a hurry to get going.
Loading quarters into a canoe is a grunt. Carrying them isn't the issue, it's getting them into the canoe without crushing it and breaking your back at the same time that is the problem.
(Dead lift 150 lb., walk/stumble across 75 yds. of real soft spongy ground, and then try to bend over and place it gently on the ground about two feet in front of you while you bend over a knee high barrier and you'll get the idea.)
Pulled the canoe onto shore, GENTLY loaded it, then GENTLY slid it back into the water. Didn't want the moose going thru the bottom of the canoe.
Only had about 4 inches of free-board in the center. Handled like a battleship in a mud puddle, we didn't even want to breathe hard or blink our eyes, absolutely no margin for error......one wrong move and it was "turtle-time".
Wife and I are very strong swimmers, 30+ years of canoeing and hunting experience, but we took our boots and jackets off in case we got deep-sixed, life-jackets on, traveled about 5-6 km. back to the opposite end of the lake, pitch black, nice and calm, motor at idle, very gentle, l-o-n-g turns. Not a game for the panicky, faint of heart types, the inexperienced or non-swimmers.
Unloading it was another story. Couldn't get it up the steep bank, and unloading it in the water was an exciting time.

If you're going to go it alone, cut that moose up into small manageable pieces before loading and spread the weight evenly. A completely boned out smaller bull moose is going to weigh roughly in the area of 200 - 300 lb. + you + all your gear. Make sure you and your canoe are up to the challenge. Practice and get sufficient experience with huge weights in the canoe before heading out.

Practice swimming with your heavy clothes and boots on.:mrgreen:

Have fun, good luck with your adventure

madrona sh
06-24-2011, 06:30 PM
Thats what I'm looking for. Thanks so much. I can't wait to go.

LYKTOHUNT
06-24-2011, 06:40 PM
Riverratz is right on I was not kidding when I said careful putting those quarters or whatever size pieces in the canoe, it would be easy to punch out the bottom, and imagine how much fun that would be walking back.
Not saying dont do it but I have wrasstled a few moose parts in my time, they are very heavy and awkward

bigshooter
06-25-2011, 10:39 PM
Try getting your first moose with a truck and quad first. When you see how much work it is you will second guess the canoe.

TheProvider
06-25-2011, 10:49 PM
A canoe will make for a great adventure. As for calling you definately don't need to be the best. Rut crazed moose have been known to come to the sounds of chain saws and outboard motors. A come-along is a great item. I could be wrong but I was once told a deboned animal will weigh half of the live weight. Not counting cape or antlers.

gunnie2008
06-25-2011, 11:27 PM
In my younger years, Ive done it solo, by 14ft river boat, but needed help packing it out of the boat up river, bear n wolfs cleaned the gut pile n blood shot drippings down to sprouting grass and no bones or hide to be seen, luckly head n antlers n all meat was hung up in trees. took me 4 trips , apprx 790lbs total recoverd meat. you'll be doing it the hard way. Buy a spot Gps locator, pack as lite as possible. Gitn it Don is half the fun, Good Luck!.
What area are you doing this hunt in?.

swampthing
06-26-2011, 07:55 AM
Sounds like an adventure. I always wanted to do a canoe hunt but never got to it. I have shot moose alone and had to deal with them myself. One I shot was so heavy I had to dismantle one side before I cold roll him over. Since you are on a river and probably hunting near it, pack a small pulley system. This will almost be like having a helper along. On one occasion, my two young sons [10,12] shot two moose in a lake, at the same time. I waded in and got them near shore but we couldnt pull them out. I had to completely bone out 2 moose, in a lake, in one day. I was on pain killers all day [back]. When this day was complete, I was a sore, but satisfied hunter. I mainly do solo trips. Be prepared, be confident and be careful.

Tuffcity
06-26-2011, 09:06 AM
Just a side note on CRAP (creature retreival and packing) gear. Invest in about 4 climbing pulleys (the ones mountain climbers use) , nylon straps, carabiners and a spool of good line. Except for the line all the pulleys, straps etc will fit into a small bag and not weigh very much. Working load strength is incredible in relation to size., and with the straps you can run a high lead system to get moose parts up and over blow down or easily pull up into trees.

Invest in a Swiftwater Rescue course. Not only could it save your bacon but the techniques taught also make one of the best "how to get a animal out of the bush " courses. :)

RC

madrona sh
06-26-2011, 10:35 AM
I am a rope rescue team member (SAR) and a swiftwater rescue tec. Ground search team leader. Track aware , avalanche etc.
I have climbed in Nepal. 8000 plus meter peaks.
I have tons of river experience. And ropes and haul systems are not a problem.
I even ran the steepest river in Nepal. The Boda Kosi

Boner
06-26-2011, 11:56 AM
Try getting your first moose with a truck and quad first. When you see how much work it is you will second guess the canoe.

Ditto. Not sure about your hunting experience Madrona, that wasn't made clear if you've gutted and quartered out any other ungalates. I know you haven't done moose, but it is very similar to deer.

madrona sh
06-26-2011, 01:10 PM
I have hunted Deer and Bear. And have skinned a lot of different animals. I am not to worried about the moose as I will cut up and debone it in the field.
I am really thinking of ordering a nice with the load sling.
I do not want my first moose by truck or quad. Thats one thing I will not budge on.

Cheers

Jelvis
06-26-2011, 01:43 PM
This is a great thread with inspiration way to go madrona, luv it.
An adventure in hunting, keep us updated with news ...............
Jelly Donut

dana
06-26-2011, 04:00 PM
I don't know why so many posts on this thread are of a worrying nature. It doesn't sound like he's planning on doing whitewater. LOL! A solo moose with a canoe is totally fine. I'd debone completely and cut into managable pieces and put in game sacks. Balance in the canoe is key. Having the game sacks a managable weight means they can easily be moved to keep the canoe balanced. Lots of rivers in this province that flow slowly through meadow complexes where this style of moose hunting is ideal. Sure it would be a lot of work. Even shooting a moose close to a road solo is a lot of work. But hard work brings a lot of satisfaction, and the memories made are unforgetable.

swampthing
06-26-2011, 04:32 PM
Pretty good resume you got there madrona sh. Your gonna have a hoot.

Jelvis
06-26-2011, 04:38 PM
Who says you can't make a couple trips to get the balance right, maybe you want all meat deboned and the organ meat which his huge on a moose, liver, heart for stuffing and brains and tung.
What if it's a bull and you want to keep the rack? You have to bring it back then so more weight. Or get a flatter wider canoe for lil extra balance.
Jp More Gun

madrona sh
06-26-2011, 07:14 PM
That's no were near my resume. I just posted that info so no one would worry about me doing this trip.
Cheers

Jelvis
06-26-2011, 09:06 PM
If you plan it out and give yourself time enough to start the hunt and finish it without making haste and feeling pushed to finish early, staying entertained and having a great experience, then I think the planning will be just as exciting as the actual hunt.
Jp .. Let's hear the plan Stan .. a plan to carry out your future moose hunt by canoe ..

madrona sh
06-26-2011, 10:12 PM
First of all I need to win the leh for moose.
Second, I am not in a hurry to go BUT I must be ready to go EVERY year. ( LEH )
Third, I am going to film it.
And Fourth...........There is no fourth.

Lets here your thoughts on canoe model & length?
Remember Solo Not 2 people.

moose2
06-26-2011, 10:52 PM
It can be done , but not easy you will need a come along and chain saw enough rope or cable to make the nearest tree. If anyone is expecting you home at dark that probably won't happen either. I shot one about 4km up a meandering beaver channel at 8am. I stood neck deep in pond water getting the guts out. Went back to get canoe, chain saw, come along and some help, was able to return with canoe ,saw and come along. Had to lift canoe over 6 + beaver dams before I got back to the 45" bull. I pulled the moose out with the come along and cut into quarters with saw. A large bull quarter thats water logged is to heavy for me to lift so I filled the canoe with water until it sunk just below the surface. Then I dragged all the quarters into the submerged canoe. Once all the meat was in I pushed it high enough on shore that the gunnels were just out of water , then I bailed the water out with a ice cream pail, until the canoe was floating again. This took along time but did work. The plan I had of unloading and reloading at each of the dams wasn't going to happen. So I took my saw and cut a 3 foot opening through the dam and floated the currernt through it I did this for each dam. I got back to my quad at dark and still had to get the quarters from the canoe on to the rack. So I tipped the canoe in the pond beside the bike and pulled the meat up on shore with the quad. I then flipped the canoe upside down behind the quad and rolled a quarter onto the canoe then onto the rack. I took the first load the 5 minutes too the truck and off loaded that on the second load a front leg swung around and took out my head light on the quad. I was in complete darkness with half a moose and and canoe still 500 yards in the timber from the truck. I managed to find my way out on foot so I started the truck and pointed the lights into the timber where the quad was. I was able to get the quad and the last load of meat out by driving towards the light. I was beat when I got to the truck so i opted to leave the canoe and return for it in a couple days. When I pulled into the drive way it was 4:45am I got a couple hours sleep and got up to deal with the meat. I thought the trip was pure hell until I ate the moose meat , then I knew it was , even the gravy was tough. Can it be done "sure" but I would not recommend it. Moose are big animals and a helping hand makes a world of difference. As far as deboneing I have done it but the meat always seems tougher using this method. Other people might have tender de-boned moose ,but I haven't. The canoe handled the load ok but I would not want to be in the current with it. It was an old frontersman 16' freighter I was using. Good luck on your trip.
Mike

emerson
06-27-2011, 10:03 AM
It can be done , but not easy you will need a come along and chain saw enough rope or cable to make the nearest tree. If anyone is expecting you home at dark that probably won't happen either. I shot one about 4km up a meandering beaver channel at 8am. I stood neck deep in pond water getting the guts out. Went back to get canoe, chain saw, come along and some help, was able to return with canoe ,saw and come along. Had to lift canoe over 6 + beaver dams before I got back to the 45" bull. I pulled the moose out with the come along and cut into quarters with saw. A large bull quarter thats water logged is to heavy for me to lift so I filled the canoe with water until it sunk just below the surface. Then I dragged all the quarters into the submerged canoe. Once all the meat was in I pushed it high enough on shore that the gunnels were just out of water , then I bailed the water out with a ice cream pail, until the canoe was floating again. This took along time but did work. The plan I had of unloading and reloading at each of the dams wasn't going to happen. So I took my saw and cut a 3 foot opening through the dam and floated the currernt through it I did this for each dam. I got back to my quad at dark and still had to get the quarters from the canoe on to the rack. So I tipped the canoe in the pond beside the bike and pulled the meat up on shore with the quad. I then flipped the canoe upside down behind the quad and rolled a quarter onto the canoe then onto the rack. I took the first load the 5 minutes too the truck and off loaded that on the second load a front leg swung around and took out my head light on the quad. I was in complete darkness with half a moose and and canoe still 500 yards in the timber from the truck. I managed to find my way out on foot so I started the truck and pointed the lights into the timber where the quad was. I was able to get the quad and the last load of meat out by driving towards the light. I was beat when I got to the truck so i opted to leave the canoe and return for it in a couple days. When I pulled into the drive way it was 4:45am I got a couple hours sleep and got up to deal with the meat. I thought the trip was pure hell until I ate the moose meat , then I knew it was , even the gravy was tough. Can it be done "sure" but I would not recommend it. Moose are big animals and a helping hand makes a world of difference. As far as deboneing I have done it but the meat always seems tougher using this method. Other people might have tender de-boned moose ,but I haven't. The canoe handled the load ok but I would not want to be in the current with it. It was an old frontersman 16' freighter I was using. Good luck on your trip.
Mike
What a saga! My father would call your experience "character building". A story like that helps with the "is this the place to shoot it?" questions.

pearljam
06-27-2011, 10:13 AM
First of all I need to win the leh for moose.
Second, I am not in a hurry to go BUT I must be ready to go EVERY year. ( LEH )
Third, I am going to film it.
And Fourth...........There is no fourth.

Lets here your thoughts on canoe model & length?
Remember Solo Not 2 people.

16"6" Clipper canoe Tripper-S

http://www.clippercanoes.com/boat_specs.php?model_id=106

It is a great canoe to paddle solo, has enough freeboard to fit all the meat from a moose in it. Light weight for easy transport, and Canadian made in BC. Can't go wrong!

Tuffcity
06-27-2011, 11:13 AM
I am a rope rescue team member (SAR) and a swiftwater rescue tec.

LOL Then disregard MY advise! :) You have that well covered!

RC

Albafly
06-27-2011, 12:01 PM
Very ambitious plans! All the best of luck. It is definitely more than I would attempt for the first time, but if you pull it off, it should make some story.

Good luck.

madrona sh
06-27-2011, 12:50 PM
You have to love a challenge. I am very comfortable in the outdoors I thrive.
But put me in the city or crowds of people I wither

swampthing
06-27-2011, 05:26 PM
Your hardcore emerson. You must have been pretty hungy.

madrona sh
06-27-2011, 05:44 PM
I main thing I have learned in this thread is only shoot one in a good spot.
And I'm thinking maybe two guys in two canoes?
What do you think?

dana
06-27-2011, 05:51 PM
You don't need to shoot one in a good spot. I've seen them die in hell holes and still got them out of there. Just a matter of a little hard work and sweat is all. Debone and backpack out managable portions and you will do just fine where ever you kill one.

madrona sh
06-27-2011, 06:02 PM
Thats true Dana, a dead moose is a dead moose wherever it is.

Ltbullken
06-27-2011, 06:13 PM
Make sure you buy a SPOT so the family knows where to join you to eat moose for the rest of the winter...

Ltbullken
06-27-2011, 06:16 PM
Mike

You in otherwords went on a rodeo!

Moose Guide
06-27-2011, 07:36 PM
You need a tag, good knife and a canoe, instead of ropes and come-a-longs just buy a cheap taymor pack with a moose bag (mine has lasted more than 10 years) Skin the top half and remove hip,shoulder, backstraps,neck and belly meat(all done without opening gut cavity) Flip moose and repeat and now remove tenderloins. You still havn't opened up the guts and you have 6 pack loads and it probably took 3 hours(Figure on about 500 lbs at this point) you can debone it more to lighten the load!!! You only open the chest or gut cavity if you want the heart and liver. Don't forget to leave evidence of sex and species attached to the meat.

CanuckShooter
06-27-2011, 10:19 PM
I main thing I have learned in this thread is only shoot one in a good spot.
And I'm thinking maybe two guys in two canoes?
What do you think?

If you have two, tie a couple of poles across the gunnels it kinda helps keep things upright.
Keep anything loose tied to the canoe in case you spill. ie. rifles, packs, thermos [and always a spare paddle]...more than a few have tipped and lost some pretty pricey gear.

Ghillie
06-27-2011, 10:44 PM
It's to do the BC Classics Solo Canoe Moose
Solo Down Hill Bear
Solo Mature Blacktail (No Button tops)
I am curious to what a Downhill bear, and what is a button top?
And whats this BC Classics? Do you mind explaining what these mean to an excited and intrigued fellow BC hunter? :D

moose2
06-29-2011, 12:16 AM
Hey Madrona sh
I found some old pictures in my scrap book of the solo moose I hauled out by canoe. The pictures are not the greatest , but they do show you how tough these large animals can be. They are the ones from the story I posted earlier. The two guys and two canoes would be your best bet I think. I shot this one 15 years ago when I was 30 I am sure I could do it now , but it would get de-boned this time. Handling those heavy quarters exhasted me even back then.

I saw this moose walking the edge of a beaver pond meadow after hunting hard for 16 days I decided to take him. I had a clean broadside lung shot. When I hit him he tipped over and I saw a large splash in my scope, this is what I saw when I got up to him.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/solo_moose_0001_Medium_.jpg

I was able to drag him to shore a little bit after climbing into neck deep water. I knew it would be too tough to pack the 4km to the truck and decided to go home and get my canoe and some other supplies. I tried to get help but all my buddies were working. (or at least said they were when I explaned to them where I shot it lol). It would take a few hours so I was forced to gut it in the pond . I couldn't see what I was doing in the murky water. So I gutted him from memory and by feeling around the cavity. It was neck deep in places and the early Sept water was already cooling down.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/solo_moose_0002_Medium_.jpg

I was able to use my come-a-long to get him high enough onto shore to quarter him with the chain saw.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/solo_moose_0003_Medium_.jpg

I was able to fit the whole moose in the canoe with the procedure I mentioned in my story. The old freighter handled the load really well I also had a chain saw and all my gear and there was still a spot for me to sit.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/solo_moose_0005_Medium_.jpg

This is back at buddies meat hanging pole the whole ordeal took over 24 hours from when I left until I got this moose home. We were able to skin and clean the meat really well here are the antlers 45" or 46" I can't remember for sure. The meat was very tough and not very enjoyable. I am not sure if being waterlogged for 3 hours made it tough or not.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/solo_moose_0006_Medium_.jpg

Good luck getting your draw and your solo canoe bull.
Mike

vortex hunter
06-29-2011, 12:41 AM
Hey Madrona sh
I found some old pictures in my scrap book of the solo moose I hauled out by canoe. The pictures are not the greatest , but they do show you how tough these large animals can be. They are the ones from the story I posted earlier. The two guys and two canoes would be your best bet I think. I shot this one 15 years ago when I was 30 I am sure I could do it now , but it would get de-boned this time. Handling those heavy quarters exhasted me even back then.

I saw this moose walking the edge of a beaver pond meadow after hunting hard for 16 days I decided to take him. I had a clean broadside lung shot. When I hit him he tipped over and I saw a large splash in my scope, this is what I saw when I got up to him.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/solo_moose_0001_Medium_.jpg

I was able to drag him to shore a little bit after climbing into neck deep water. I knew it would be too tough to pack the 4km to the truck and decided to go home and get my canoe and some other supplies. I tried to get help but all my buddies were working. (or at least said they were when I explaned to them where I shot it lol. It would take a few hours so I was forced to gut it in the pond . I couldn't see what I was doing in the murky water. So I gutted him from memory and by feeling around the cavity. It was neck deep in places and the early Sept water was already cooling down.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/solo_moose_0002_Medium_.jpg

I was able to use my come-a-long to get him high enough onto shore to quarter him with the chain saw.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/solo_moose_0003_Medium_.jpg

I was able to fit the whole moose in the canoe with the procedure I mentioned in my story. The old freighter handled the load really well I also had a chain saw and all my gear and there was still a spot for me to sit.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/solo_moose_0005_Medium_.jpg

This is back at buddies meat hanging pole the whole ordeal took over 24 hours from when I left until I got this moose home. We were able to skin and clean the meat really well here are the antlers 45" or 46" I can't remember for sure. The meat was very tough and not very enjoyable. I am not sure if being waterlogged for 3 hours made it tough or not.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/solo_moose_0006_Medium_.jpg

Good luck getting your draw and your solo canoe bull.
Mike

Now THATS A TRIP .......................10/10

moose2
06-29-2011, 09:47 AM
Yes it was a long day. I did learn alot though about how important it is to have a big animal in the right spot. Although I shot a young bull across a beaver pond in the August season a few years back. He took five steps and died in 3 feet of water about 100 yards away. So I stripped down to my underwear and left my boots on, then I swam a rope out to the bull and pulled him back hand over hand until it was close enough to use the quad winch. Once it was high and dry on the cut line it was easy to deal with. My main concern at that time was someone showing up in time to see me bent over a dead moose , holding a knife while only wearing my underwear and hunting boots lol.
Mike