PDA

View Full Version : coots and common snipes.

SimilkameenSlayer
06-24-2011, 02:21 PM
does anyone hunt them to eat?

:mrgreen:

Bow Walker
06-24-2011, 03:07 PM
Shot and eaten them when hunting with a buddy up in Aspen Grove and they were just as good as any other duck I've ever had. :-D

Wouldn't (and won't) do the same down here on the coast though....:wink:

Big Lew
06-24-2011, 03:41 PM
Not a whole lot of meat on them, but they're not that bad....they are vegetarian eaters like widgeon, in fact, widgeon hang out around coots and pick up titbits dislodged by their diving cousins. Snipe are very small, but have a large breast in comparison to their body. I have found them very tasty.

fowlweather
06-24-2011, 04:23 PM
in the early season i often find them in freshly cut grass, well thats where i find them on the farm i hunt at

Long bow
06-24-2011, 05:17 PM
While I was posted to Germany...before the normal game seasons opened up, rabbits and pheasants and huns..we would get an invite to shoot coots from the estate (revier) owners. These hunts were used to excercise the dogs also. The game keepers would break away with a bunch of coots...which they would breast, then mix with pork and grind up....some of the best burgers on the BBQ I can ever remember having..an afternoon of shooting, good dog work and good eats..dosent get any better.

GreatWhitePopogeebo
06-24-2011, 05:21 PM
Then you'll love ladner pheasants,coots and a zillion ducks/geese oh yeah coots I eat em very nice and cool looking to maybe I'll stuff one this year.

06-24-2011, 05:40 PM
Snipe hunting....:) I had to chuckle.

SimilkameenSlayer
06-25-2011, 05:22 AM
thanks guys, for the education.

how do coots rate against grouse in flavor?

Fisher-Dude
06-25-2011, 09:11 AM
Snipe are very small, but have a large breast in comparison to their body.

Anything with large breasts in comparison to the rest of their body is a good thing! :wink:

ROEBUCK
06-25-2011, 09:30 AM
Anything with large breasts in comparison to the rest of their body is a good thing! :wink:

good one LOL :-D:-D

Foxton Gundogs
06-25-2011, 09:54 AM
Shot and eaten them when hunting with a buddy up in Aspen Grove and they were just as good as any other duck I've ever had. :-D

Wouldn't (and won't) do the same down here on the coast though....:wink:

YEP X2 I have eaten LOTS of coots mostly in soups and stews. We used to sluce them "on the run" for camp meat station a guy at each end of a slough they were in and theyed just "run" back and forth till we had all we wanted.

SimilkameenSlayer
06-25-2011, 12:16 PM
cool

sounds like coots are underrated in the flavor department and easier to hunt than ducks ....

edit, found this recipe.

4 coot breasts (8 if using snipe, woodcock, rail)
1/2 cup flour
salt and pepper
3 tbsp butter
1/8 cup water
2 tsp prepared mustard
1 tsp Worchester sauce

Combine flour, salt, and pepper and coat boned breasts. Saute in 2 tbsp butter for 12-15 minutes, check for doneness.

Combine water, mustard, Worchester sauce and 1 tbsp butter. Warm slowly and stir while heating. Pour sauce over breasts and serve with toast points if desired.

walks with deer
07-07-2011, 12:01 AM
My buddy shot one coot once i had 7 mallards and he still could not pull a bird out of the air so the sitting coot was a grab price.

it was okay but small.

we still have not let him live it down i call him every time I see a coot

07-07-2011, 08:21 AM
Some people take snipe hunting very serious
http://www.thesnipehunter.com/

And it sure sounds fun enough. Kinda like quail, do it for the sport of it.

lorneparker1
07-07-2011, 02:47 PM
eating coots is gross

Sako 75
07-07-2011, 09:22 PM
Mud Hens .......coots that what I called them......taste like mud/fishy. That is what some of desperate duck hunter buddies of mine told me.

walks with deer
07-07-2011, 10:10 PM
Sako 75 \I agree.

Bow Walker
07-08-2011, 10:16 AM
eating coots is gross

Mud Hens .......coots that what I called them......taste like mud/fishy. That is what some of desperate duck hunter buddies of mine told me.
I used to agree with the above opinions - until I tried eating the ones that my buddy shot. He lives in Aspen Grove. The ones that he cooked up tasted just slightly different than the mallards. Not worse, not better....just different, and certainly not muddy or fishy.

MichelD
07-08-2011, 10:31 AM
Don't forget that Boundary Bay is closed to snipe hunting.

Foxton Gundogs
07-08-2011, 12:58 PM
I used to agree with the above opinions - until I tried eating the ones that my buddy shot. He lives in Aspen Grove. The ones that he cooked up tasted just slightly different than the mallards. Not worse, not better....just different, and certainly not muddy or fishy.

X 2 as I said previously I have eaten lots of them (never on the coast/Island) and they wern't either muddy or fishy, we eat a lot of soup/stew in camp when hunting big game and seem to just keep adding to it. duck, grouse, rabbit, whatever but we always keep our eyes open for the long nerrow sloughs and return to them to shoot coots as described earlier when we are bored and in need of stew meat for the pot I've always figgured they were as good as any of the other critters that grace our "Chilcotin Slumgulyon