PDA

View Full Version : How much spotting scope do i need?

BCBear
06-24-2011, 01:07 PM
Looking for opinions from goat and sheep guys who would know the recommended magnification parameteres for spotting scopes...aside from buying the 'best you can afford', what is the minimum magnification on a spotting scope that you would use for such a hunt? I got a fixed Leupold, but want to get something more useful for my goat draw. Thanks, BCB

Krico
06-24-2011, 01:46 PM
So long as the glass is quality (clear) min magnification at top end I'd want is around 45x. Mine goes to 60x, and I crank it up all the time-heat waves are an issue whether at 45x or 60x if it's hot out.

Your standard 15-45, 20-60, or even one of the newer 25-50 eyepieces will all do the job.

BiG Boar
06-24-2011, 01:49 PM
Personally I would get 20-60. I use it all the time, look around on 20 and then crank it up when you're inspecting some horns. There are times I am sure I would love 80! Just my opinion, but it saves you a lot of walking. Plus at the range you can see where you're punching paper at 300 yards.

270WIN
06-24-2011, 02:02 PM
As you know dave I got a gaot draw as well. I picked up a used spotter on craiglist 15-45 it a bushnell spacemaster. I know there probly better out there but with the reveiws i read about it an seen that some guys use to use the spacemaster on here and were happy with it I could not pass up the deal.

springpin
06-24-2011, 02:35 PM
Bought a Bushnell Spacemaster the other day as well. Worked well at the range this afternoon. Can't wait to get it out on the mountains scouting. It is 15x45x60.

GreatWhitePopogeebo
06-24-2011, 05:29 PM
I agree20x60 I have HD swarovsky I like it but like everything else mo money the difference is morning and night time any scope will work fine on a clear day

madrona sh
06-24-2011, 05:32 PM
Lieca 85 with the 25-50 eyepiece.

Elkaddict
06-24-2011, 07:44 PM
Max useable magnification will be governed somewhat by objective size. Anything smaller than 65mm the max I would look for would be 45x. Over 45 and the image will start to get dark and grainy on all but the brightest of days. 60x is useable with the larger objectives, but then you have to start thinking of how big a scope you want to pack up the mountain. Some of the larger scopes are pretty hefty. My two cents. Good luck with the goat.:-D

Ruger4
06-30-2011, 07:05 AM
I picked up a Nomad 20-60x60 recently and it suits my needs good, didnt want to spend (couldnt) $1000's on a spotter and after using this spotter on my recent grizz hunt , I'm very happy with it .........................just my 2bits worth , sure there are better as in most cases but very happy with my $400 spotter.

Phil
06-30-2011, 08:19 AM
60 power numbnutz. Go big or go home!

stoneguide
06-30-2011, 02:11 PM
Personaly the minimum I would carry is 15-45x. I carried this for many years guiding. Im not a big fan of big objectives. They get big, bulky and weigh more as a rule. I carry now a 20-60x scope in a 60mm objective. Just remember on them sunny days lots of the time anything above 50x is usless. Doesnt have to be a super hot day either. If you are looking low across much terrain or snow pack you will get extreme heat waves at the higher powers. With that said there are times when trying to see an antler point through trees or see growth rings on certain sheep that them higher powers are a big help but are far from a must.
I would stay away from fixed power scopes and get a variable for sure.
And guys dont wanna hear the "Get what you can afford" statment but that is a big thing with optics. The quality of the optics means alot more than the power does.
A good quality scope a 45x will pick out more detail than a lower quality scope at 60x. Get the best quality scope you can in either 15x45 or 20x60 and you will be set. As for objective pick what is in the size and weight that you are willing to carry.
Hope some of this may help.
SG