PDA

View Full Version : Moose 7-24 Any lay of the land tips?

Philcott
06-24-2011, 12:43 PM
I've been hunting moose for a number of years and have had reasonable success over the years. My Hunting partner and I decided to try a new spot this year so we put in for 7-24 and were lucky enough to have success in the LEH draw. I was hoping some of the good folks here might offer up some info on the lay of the land up there.

We were thinking of the Summit Lake area but have since heard it can be quite busy round there. Our camp takes quite a bit of time to set up so we are hoping to not have to tear it down and move mid hunt so if any of you all have knowledge of some areas we might set up in to explore it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, where is there gas and supplies along highway 97A. I'd love to get up there this summer to do some scouting but driving for two days each way to scout is not really in the cards.

If you're not able/willing to offer up any info that's alright we'll be ok. We've gone in blind before and will again.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help and we'd be happy to pour a couple stiff rum's in gratitude if you come knocking on the camp door.

PM's happily accepted. Happy hunting and straight shooting.

Phil

jml11
06-24-2011, 01:09 PM
7-24 can be very busy at certains times of the year (Cow & Calf season especially), but most of it is road hunting traffic on the main roads and most within the southern end close to PG. The farther away from PG you get the better as far as crowds go, but there are moose to be found all through the area and 7-24 is huge unit! As for lay of the land, it is all rolling eskers with small lakes everywhere. Good road access through most of it as there is still heavy logging going on. I wouldn t worry too much about driving all the way up to scout, you can scout it pretty well on google earth and like I said moose are found everywhere. Also, if you are going to setup close to bear lake, expect to run into a lot of logging trucks, especially the 200, 300 and 400 roads (teardrop and merton FSRs). If you decide to access by Bear Lake, there is a gas station and convenience store that can supply you with some stuff. If you go as far north as Mcleod Lake, very small store, no gas. Just find an areas you think looks good, setup shot and get at her for a few days and you should find success...there is a reason 7-24 is one of the toughest moose tags to draw in 7A!

Riverratz
06-24-2011, 01:20 PM
I suggest;
from PG head west on Chief Lk. Rd. and drive through the small community of Nukko Lake. Approx. 3 km. west of NL, take the first main logging road on your right called the 200 Road.....(large bill-board sized sign). Drive 18 km., (km's are well marked) - at 218 K. turn right onto the 600 Rd.. Less than 1 km. in on 600 Rd. you'll cross the Salmon River bridge and will be in 7-24.
Follow 600 Rd in a northerly direction, (20-30 km), lots of lakes, creeks, swamps, etc. to find campsites. Literally 100's of sq. km's of old and new logging roads, thousands of hectares of logging blocks, some newer, some old. Excellent moose habitat, lots of b/bears, grouse/waterfowl, some deer, chance of 6 pt. elk, occasional Grizzly.
No quad restrictions.

PG is approx. 45-60 min. drive from the top end of 600 Rd for supplies/fuel, etc. There is a small general store with gas/groceries (diesel ??) in Nukko Lk. comm.

There will most probably be active log truck traffic on the mainlines during weekdays, not a serious issue, main roads are solid, wide and good, just be mindful and watch out for large trucks. They are all radio equipped and call their km's, having a VHF in your truck helps. Loggers are cooperative and will tell you where the specific active logging sites are, which you can avoid easily.
Weekends the mains are busier with road hunters, day-trippers, and wood cutters from PG, etc. Week days much quieter.

Alternative plan: drive north of PG to Bear Lake, then head west into Merton / Weedon Lk's area, also very good, lots of country, lesser hunter pressure. Supplies/fuel available in Bear Lk.

Excellent zone, you won't get bored, lots of country, lots of moose.
Good luck.

jml11
06-24-2011, 01:32 PM
I suggest;
from PG head west on Chief Lk. Rd. and drive through the small community of Nukko Lake. Approx. 3 km. west of NL, take the first main logging road on your right called the 200 Road.....(large bill-board sized sign). Drive 18 km., (km's are well marked) - at 218 K. turn right onto the 600 Rd.. Less than 1 km. in on 600 Rd. you'll cross the Salmon River bridge and will be in 7-24.
Follow 600 Rd in a northerly direction, (20-30 km), lots of lakes, creeks, swamps, etc. to find campsites. Literally 100's of sq. km's of old and new logging roads, thousands of hectares of logging blocks, some newer, some old. Excellent moose habitat, lots of b/bears, grouse/waterfowl, some deer, chance of 6 pt. elk, occasional Grizzly.
No quad restrictions.

Good tip but just drive in on the Salmon FSR off Highway 97 north of PG, it connects with the 600 road now. You are in 7-24 the entire time and will see a lot less logging trucks, probably quicker access as well.

Riverratz
06-24-2011, 02:44 PM
Good tip but just drive in on the Salmon FSR off Highway 97 north of PG, it connects with the 600 road now. You are in 7-24 the entire time and will see a lot less logging trucks, probably quicker access as well.

Cool. Been huntin' around here for 30+ yrs. but hadn't taken that newer route into there,...... just old habits on my part. Now I know.
Have never applied for LEH in 7-24 due to high odds, and with the heavier beetle-logging activity past recent yrs haven't spent a whole lot of time out there other than just for a change of scenery when I get bored in the usual haunts. Always nice to have new intel. and never too old to learn something new.
Thanks.
RR

moosinaround
06-24-2011, 03:08 PM
Hell Philcott, let me know I will show you around up there. I know of a few good swamps and stuff. There is a wicked little spot up the 1500rd where I would set up. Close to Bear Lake, but far enough in to not get traffic. A few really wicked swamps with moose highways in them. Let me see if I can figure out the Lat/Long thing on Google Earth and I will send you the coordinates. Moosin

emerson
06-24-2011, 04:31 PM
[QUOTE=jml11;937907]Good tip but just drive in on the Salmon FSR off Highway 97 north of PG, it connects with the 600 road now. You are in 7-24 the entire time and will see a lot less logging trucks, probably quicker access as well.[/QUOTE
That's the way I go in. It doesn't show the connection in Google earth or the Backroads atlas, but it's at about 38.5 km on the Salmon FSR off Highway 97 that you hit the 600 road.

Bullofthebush
06-25-2011, 04:47 PM
Drift the parsnip river

moosinaround
06-25-2011, 04:49 PM
Drift the parsnip river
He will go to jail, and will not collect 200 dollars if he drifts the Parsnip with a LEH authourization for 7-24!! Though that would be a dandy suggestion if he had a LEH draw for 7-16, or 7-23!! Thanks for coming out!! MOosin

MooseNuts
06-25-2011, 06:16 PM
We bagged 2 moose last year in 7-24. We camped at the old FSR campsite on Mossvale lake. We saw about 30 cows and calves and shot the first 2 bulls we saw. I shot mine on the 30th of Sep and the wife shot hers the 2 of Oct. We were only in camp for 6 days. We only saw 2 other groups but there were a tons of rigs coming in as we were headed out. Good luck

The Dawg
06-25-2011, 08:26 PM
I know 7-24 quite well- gimme a shout if you need any help :)

CanuckShooter
06-25-2011, 08:32 PM
I know 7-24 quite well- gimme a shout if you need any help :)

HEY NOAH....which lake has the biggest rainbows??

Philcott
06-27-2011, 07:05 AM
Thanks for the tips so far. I guess I should have mentioned we are quad free so will be using our feet to get into the swamps and back areas. I don't know if that will make a difference or not.

Would you go in for opening day or waiting until near the end of Sept for the rut to be on before going in?

If anyone has names and numbers of a few coolers/butchers in the area it would be helpful. We will hopefully be needing to give one a call.

Thanks in advance.

Phil

jml11
06-27-2011, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the tips so far. I guess I should have mentioned we are quad free so will be using our feet to get into the swamps and back areas. I don't know if that will make a difference or not.

Would you go in for opening day or waiting until near the end of Sept for the rut to be on before going in?

If anyone has names and numbers of a few coolers/butchers in the area it would be helpful. We will hopefully be needing to give one a call.

Thanks in advance.

Phil

Opening week is usually not too busy, especially during the week. It will get busier towards the end of september but you will still be in before the major crowds once Cow/calf open on OCt 10th. The rut at end of september is obviously a better time for moose activity being the rut and all, but the beggining of september can be good if the weather is cool.

Philcott
07-07-2011, 07:46 AM
Does anyone have a suggestion for good FSR maps for the area. Do any of the logging companies up there make any?

Also, where would you take your meat to hang/cut?

Thanks once again.

CanuckShooter
07-07-2011, 12:39 PM
Does anyone have a suggestion for good FSR maps for the area. Do any of the logging companies up there make any?

Also, where would you take your meat to hang/cut?

Thanks once again.

We take our game into Hunnifords...Chilako Meats is usually pretty good also. I don't know if they will just hang, as we use them for cut/wrap you'll have to call them and check. Both are a fair distance from where you will be hunting. The BC Backroads mapbooks are pretty good...bring a boat of some kind if you can, there are lots of lakes/ponds that you could hunt from the water.

BCrams
07-07-2011, 12:47 PM
The 10 days before calf season would be a good bet.