PDA

View Full Version : boat use on Fraser advice sought

JAFA
06-24-2011, 12:40 AM
I have bought an old boat, 14' 6" with a 35 hp. I have my Boaters user card. The boat is well equipped with all sensible safety gear.

I also bought a 10 hp kicker.

Both motors have been rebuilt are in good - very good condition. The boat had a soft floor which I cut out, filled the base with 2 part foam, used marine grade ply and after glazing the underside with 2 coats of resin, I have fiber glassed it in place. Tests on Allouette were excellent, it runs like a dream and planes at about 1/2 throttle.

I need help determining where and how to install the kicker. I have a bracket. ( the kicker is 4 stroke, nice and quiet, and is also for safety - having a second power source on board)

I need help with river usage ( the boat has a solid anchor and a roller bracket in the bow). I have been on the Fraser before, but not often.

I will wait for the Fraser to settle down before going out.

I have been on boats lots, but in lakes, I have 2 young people that will be fishing with me this summer in the Fraser, maybe Indian arm as well. So I am looking for tips and tricks and safety advice from experienced river boaters.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jim.

Rock Doctor
06-24-2011, 04:28 AM
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jim.

Stay off the river with that thing. I can't quite picture what you have there, but half way through your description alarm bells were ringing so loud in my head that my eyes were watering:-D

RD

pathfinder55
06-24-2011, 07:58 AM
Not the ideal river boat, but there are alot of boats like that on the lower Fraser[ below Chilliwack] just watch for hidden gravel bars and logs....Peter

Rock Doctor
06-24-2011, 09:31 AM
Do you have a pic? I suspect that my head is creating an image of something very different than what you might have there.

RD

mark
06-24-2011, 09:36 AM
Do you have a pic? I suspect that my head is creating an image of something very different than what you might have there.

RD

I also think he's talking about playing on the LOWER fraser, which is pretty sleepy water, can be run with almost any boat, but always be wary of underwater hazards and gravel bars!

Jagermeister
06-24-2011, 09:50 AM
If the floor was spongy, what is the transom like? Hang another motor on it and the transom might just seperate from the hull or maybe when the leg strikes the first log, bingo, transom ripped.

Steeleco
06-24-2011, 11:01 AM
From the Mission bridge down you should be fine, there are lots of sand bars you need to look out for but not like above the Mission bridge. A boat like yours may be better suited to fish the fraser in the lower areas in and around Richmond and Ladner or out in the chuck on the nicer days.

RayHill
06-24-2011, 12:23 PM
bring tools and extra sheer pins

Barracuda
06-24-2011, 12:33 PM
mission and lower is fine .above you have to be more mindfull of depth. debris is an issue you have to watch for .
may i suggest a propring

Rock Doctor
06-24-2011, 03:55 PM
You mentioned rebuilding the bottom, did you consider building a tunnel into it? That way you can raise your motor up quite a bit to clear the rocks in shallow water. Such "Riverboats" are still commonly used up here in the larger rivers (Nelson, Liard, ect).
Get yourself a bucket full of props, and a pocket full of shear-pins, and you're off to the races.

(Boats like that were commonly taken up to Tuchodi Lakes in the past)

RD

winchester284
06-24-2011, 05:43 PM
It's probably overkill having a kicker on your boat. During fishing season their are a ton of people on the river, if your main was to fail, just start waving and you'll get help.

As far as rock protection get something like this. http://www.rockhoppermotorguard.com/ http://www.propsavers.com/River%20Runner.html

The biggest problem with not knowing the river and taking a prop motor on it is the danger of bottoming out. The river is continually dropping and gravel bars can pop up from one day to the next. Ask me how I know....

NaStY
06-24-2011, 08:30 PM
Ha you guys are hilarious. Ive ran the river lots. You can run a 14' boat all the way from hope to the ocean if you know what your doing. That said, take your time and learn to read the water. If your unsure pull up your outboard and ride it out. The river bottom changes every spring so dont expect it to be the same as last year. Try to stay on the main stem.

Whonnock Boy
06-24-2011, 09:14 PM
Yes, just what Nasty said. I would give it some time for the river to come down before you head out. I would imagine guys are already hitting springs, but give it a couple, three weeks and it will be a lot more productive. Take your time and maybe follow another boat that knows the river. Prop boat, not jet boat. LOL. Follow with your GPS on. You will probably figure out one section of river and stick with it. Get yourself a depth sounder. As the river subsides you will know exactly where to go if you have been out a few times.

Considering the size of your boat, 20 feet of chain should be lots for your anchor. Get a scotchman so you can leave the anchor and chase your tyee. Have a tag line to make things easier when you return. 5 or 6 feet should be lots. It has been a while since I have fished the bars, but from what I remember, we would have about 40 or 50 feet of chain and rope out when sitting on the anchor depending on the flow. Setting and pulling the anchor is the toughest part. Be careful not to get in the bite. How young are the kids that will be out with you? Can they work a boat. It is helpful to drive up on the anchor while the guy is pulling it up.

When it comes to the fishing end of things, watch and remember where the boats with fish on come from consistently. There is a reason they are getting them while others are not. They are on the honey hole. GPS it and try and get a reference point from shore. For me, we always tried to be first on the water. Many mornings launching and leaving when we could barely see. It paid off many times. Set up in those spots until there is not enough water to do so. Guys will set up out further than you and screw you up a bit. They will shake their heads at you while you reciprocate, but you will be the first going home. Smile while you are leaving. I was famous for this at the top end of grassy bar. When bottom bouncing cast up river between one and two o'clock. As it drifts down river reel in until it is straight out in front of your boat. This helps to get your leader stretched out and working the best for you. I found this to be the best technique.

As far as your kicker is concerned, if you can mount it, you should. I have never been floating down the river dead in the water, but I imagine that it is not a nice feeling. Maybe have it on a separate tank just because. Hope this helps you.

NaStY
06-24-2011, 09:30 PM
Yes, just what Nasty said. I would give it some time for the river to come down before you head out. I would imagine guys are already hitting springs, but give it a couple, three weeks and it will be a lot more productive. Take your time and maybe follow another boat that knows the river. Prop boat, not jet boat. LOL. Follow with your GPS on. You will probably figure out one section of river and stick with it. Get yourself a depth sounder. As the river subsides you will know exactly where to go if you have been out a few times.

Considering the size of your boat, 20 feet of chain should be lots for your anchor. Get a scotchman so you can leave the anchor and chase your tyee. Have a tag line to make things easier when you return. 5 or 6 feet should be lots. It has been a while since I have fished the bars, but from what I remember, we would have about 40 or 50 feet of chain and rope out when sitting on the anchor depending on the flow. Setting and pulling the anchor is the toughest part. Be careful not to get in the bite. How young are the kids that will be out with you? Can they work a boat. It is helpful to drive up on the anchor while the guy is pulling it up.

When it comes to the fishing end of things, watch and remember where the boats with fish on come from consistently. There is a reason they are getting them while others are not. They are on the honey hole. GPS it and try and get a reference point from shore. For me, we always tried to be first on the water. Many mornings launching and leaving when we could barely see. It paid off many times. Set up in those spots until there is not enough water to do so. Guys will set up out further than you and screw you up a bit. They will shake their heads at you while you reciprocate, but you will be the first going home. Smile while you are leaving. I was famous for this at the top end of grassy bar. When bottom bouncing cast up river between one and two o'clock. As it drifts down river reel in until it is straight out in front of your boat. This helps to get your leader stretched out and working the best for you. I found this to be the best technique.

As far as your kicker is concerned, if you can mount it, you should. I have never been floating down the river dead in the water, but I imagine that it is not a nice feeling. Maybe have it on a separate tank just because. Hope this helps you.

Great advice there. Just one thing to add. Theirs no fishing for salmon yet so make sure you check the web for updates on when it opens this year....

If you do decide to float the river down to the ocean, make sure your trailer is at the Richmond dock :mrgreen:

Whonnock Boy
06-24-2011, 09:41 PM
Great advice there. Just one thing to add. Theirs no fishing for salmon yet so make sure you check the web for updates on when it opens this year....

:mrgreen:

Haha, good point. I would imagine it should be opening up soon. The test fishery in Albion is starting to show some numbers in the last week. Here is a link so you can watch for yourself. http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fos2_Internet/Testfish/rptdtfdparm.cfm?fsub_id=242.

Nekhani
06-25-2011, 12:27 AM
Mount a spin on water separator filter (Racor or equivilent) on your transom to filter the fuel from your fuel tank/day tank before it goes into the outboard. Clean fuel is a must and will mean a lot less trouble with your outboards. If both your motors are 4 cycle using straight gas, use the one filter as a common filter for both motors. Mount a primer ball before the filter and after the filter.

Water in your fuel or rusty fuel tanks will cause your motor to run rough/shut down and then you've got problems and then you will be depending on your anchoring gear which should have plenty of chain to be effective.

If you are taking young ones with you it is your responsibility to make sure that boat is seaworthy, so best make sure it is or just go by yourself prior to taking passengers in a small boat.

It almost sounds like more of a lakeboat to me rather than something you want to take on the river or in the ocean.

cinnabear
06-25-2011, 12:40 PM
I fish the fraser all the time when its open with a 1978 aluminum starcraft , my only advice is always fish upstream from where you launch and have a spare kicker