PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a Rod?

killman
06-23-2011, 09:21 PM
I know that every rod is designed for a special purpose. But Not wanting to buy a rod for every different type of fishing. I am looking for a rod that could be used for Salmon fishing=river casting and trolling. Also trolling for lake trout and large Rainbows. Any recommendations or things to look for?

Thanks

moosinaround
06-23-2011, 09:29 PM
Ugly Stick, 10-12 ft Baitcast. Medium heavy action. Slap on an Ambasadeur reel and load it with Berkley big game! Done, happy fishing!! Moosin

lovemywinchester
06-23-2011, 09:31 PM
10 1/2-11 1/2 foot bait casting rod. Med action 10-20 lbs. Level wind casting reel like an Abu Garcia c3 or c4. Spooled with 17 lb mono or 30 lb braid and you can do it all. You can spend $ 250 or $550 depennding on the quality you want.
http://www.abugarcia.com/products/reels/round-reels/ambassadeur-round-baitcast

Wood butcher
06-23-2011, 10:06 PM
lovemywinchester
Re: Choosing a Rod?

10 1/2-11 1/2 foot bait casting rod. Med action 10-20 lbs. Level wind casting reel like an Abu Garcia c3 or c4. Spooled with 17 lb mono or 30 lb braid and you can do it all. You can spend $ 250 or $550 depennding on the quality you want.

X2 and you can certainly spend more than $550 if you want:-D.

steelheadSABO
06-23-2011, 10:09 PM
^^^^ good options ^^^ but if it were me i'd swap out the baitcaster bass fishermans reel :) for a good centrepin set-up. Not ideal for trolling but i have done it and it's nice to be able to adjust your drag with the palm of your hand.

Wood butcher
06-23-2011, 10:17 PM
Center pins are great but it's lot's of winding if you decide to throw spoons. Heck, it's lots more winding fishing any style with one. They sure are more fun to fight fish on though.

steelheadSABO
06-23-2011, 10:22 PM
yea but when i'm out on the river i'm hardly focused on the winding and there nothing worse than hooking a fish and realizing your drag is way too lose or way too tight.

noahs ark
06-25-2011, 08:14 PM
I can pick up line with the finger hole in my pin just as quick as the guys with the calcuttas (but they dont know we're racing)
rainbows in a lake and a 20lb plus freight train in a swift current is 2 very different fish.
Id almost split the bill of one good rod and get 2 cheaper ones more suited for the task. (although lots will disagree)

Salty
06-25-2011, 08:34 PM
I know that every rod is designed for a special purpose. But Not wanting to buy a rod for every different type of fishing. I am looking for a rod that could be used for Salmon fishing=river casting and trolling. Also trolling for lake trout and large Rainbows. Any recommendations or things to look for?

Thanks

I'd go with a 30-06

Barracuda
06-25-2011, 08:49 PM
yea but when i'm out on the river i'm hardly focused on the winding and there nothing worse than hooking a fish and realizing your drag is way too lose or way too tight.

adjusting the drag as your fighting the fish on a level wind is super simple on a star drag and easier still on the lever. you also have your thumb to work the spool to.

Centerpins are painfull enough on fly rods never mind a castiing rod.

dont be spending lots thing till you know what you want.

a good workable middle of the road rod loaded with30-50lb braid and should not set you back any more then 200-250 bucks

NaStY
06-26-2011, 09:19 AM

Thanks

I would go with 2 different setups. River rod for river fishing and a trolling rod for trolling. Line size is determined by type and size of fish your going after.

Fishhound
06-29-2011, 06:52 AM
A 10 1/2' trophy skeena king with a Daiwa Luna or ABU 7000 for casting and get a mooching reel for trolling all you need

06-29-2011, 07:53 AM
Dont go centerpin. They are a bitch to cast, yes you can learn and once that is done they are a gas for Steelhead. But they are not a multi purpose thing! IMO
Im not Slagging you centerpin guys, but trolling with a centerpin?

Get your self 2 rods, you are trying to get one rod to do 2 things. If you have the budget get a 12-25 lb level wind rod and an Abu reel. There are a tonne of different rods out there, HMX, Berkleys, St Croix whatever. Get one that fits your budget. There are a bunch of Abu Carcia level winds out there, get one again that fits your budget.

Then get a 7' med spinning rod. same idea as above. And a shimano spinning reel

All rods are most definatly not created equal in their own catagory, but they are designed to do very different things. If you try to muck with this too much you wont be happy. And why i didnt name too many rod's and reels is Abu Garcia is a Long time proven Vancouver Island Level wind. Come on over and count'em. Shimano in my eves makes the best spinning reels. I have fished for, Well been buying my own gear since i was 15. So for 20 years and i have only ever bought 2 spinning reels. One broke finally and the other replaced it.

Buy the best your budget can fit. You will be happy with whatever that is. Just dont try to do 2 jobs with the same tool.