PDA

View Full Version : whitetail rut hunt

ratherbefishin
08-21-2006, 08:28 PM
I'm hoping to take a few days and try for a whitetail with my son-not sure where's the best chance to connect.I've heard of a few guys who rent cabins down Rock creek way and hunt from there,but don't have any actual contact information.We don't have a quad ,and I'm hoping to find a clearcut or some reasonably accessable spot.Any advice on areas and dates?

ruger#1
08-21-2006, 08:29 PM
where do you want to hunt whitetails.

Jelvis
08-21-2006, 09:20 PM
Hey Fishin, Mabel Lake, MU 8:24 MU 8:25 good whitetail, access roads either side of Mabel Lake some mule deer too.

ratherbefishin
08-22-2006, 06:41 AM
yah, been spring bear hunting up that way with my older son, too.I was thinking more south-maybe border country,if thats where the best whitetail country is

Blacktail
08-22-2006, 07:20 AM
Rather

you have PM:cool:

Rainwater
08-22-2006, 09:11 AM
Rock Creek is a zoo in the late whitetail rut.

Jelvis
08-22-2006, 01:00 PM
Ratherbe, do you like hiking while your hunting, if you do like gettin in the mix, try MU 8:14 the Cristian Valley rd, hike back from the highway a bit. Good whities along most of the road if you hike a little bit. good huntin, good hikin, good shootin Jel

ratherbefishin
08-22-2006, 02:01 PM
hiking isn't the problem, its getting a deer out.I don't like to hike farther than I'm willing to drag a deer out-which is one reason I never hunt without one of my boys now.Give myself a heart attack .

mapguy
08-22-2006, 02:46 PM
I'm hoping to take a few days and try for a whitetail with my son-not sure where's the best chance to connect.I've heard of a few guys who rent cabins down Rock creek way and hunt from there,but don't have any actual contact information.We don't have a quad ,and I'm hoping to find a clearcut or some reasonably accessable spot.Any advice on areas and dates?anywhere in that area should be good explore

Paulyman
07-07-2007, 01:10 AM
I love that area , got myself a nice little whitetail out of there last year

thatskindafunny
07-07-2007, 06:50 AM
Rock Creek is a zoo in the late whitetail rut.
Up the Christian Valley 6 years ago the first week of November. Mid week was just fine but Friday night could not get any sleep from the amount of vehicals going by. Zoo is the word.Saw lots of whitetails and almost stepped on a grizzley. Don't forget the Rock Creek restraunt, finest kind.

Fisher-Dude
07-07-2007, 07:15 AM
Zoos can be the best place for whitetail hunting. Find a nice spot that overlooks some game trails, set up a camp stool, pour a coffee, and wait. The rest of the bush-pounders will chase lots of deer right past you. It's a deadly tactic for heavily hunted whitey spots when the deer are active. :wink:

BIGHUNTERFISH
07-07-2007, 07:40 AM
Zoos can be the best place for whitetail hunting. Find a nice spot that overlooks some game trails, set up a camp stool, pour a coffee, and wait. The rest of the bush-pounders will chase lots of deer right past you. It's a deadly tactic for heavily hunted whitey spots when the deer are active. :wink:

Fisher, is absoultely correct,this is a great tactic for meeting girls in the bar also.:-D

swampdonkey
07-07-2007, 08:19 AM
Try Neville at Double E Camp 1-250-466-2570 they are in rock creek on the cristian valley road 8)

Mckinney Creek Adventures
07-07-2007, 08:23 AM
Ya but be carefull about the women out here in Rock Creek. Here you will find the "men are like men, and the women are too"!

Just a little RC insider info.

And the hunting is good in late season for sure. Maybe consider areas outside the Christian Valley close to Rock Creek. I banged a nice 5x5 on the 22nd of november last year. A few people around, but go for a walk!

MCA

Fisher-Dude
07-07-2007, 08:38 AM
Fisher, is absoultely correct,this is a great tactic for meeting girls in the bar also.:-D

So BHF, do you pound bush, or do you wait for a nice, clean shot? 8)

BIGHUNTERFISH
07-07-2007, 09:05 AM
So BHF, do you pound bush, or do you wait for a nice, clean shot? 8)

You know Fisher,since I have been married my gun has been in the holster most of the time,but I had good success with the spot and stalk technique.:-D

Baba Ganoosh
07-07-2007, 09:21 AM
Hey, rather; If your looking for a place with not too many people to bug ya, consider the tunkwa lake area north of Logan Lake. Whities are descent and you get to cross over with an excellant mulie season!!!! High elevation, usually has snow by November.

Chuck
07-07-2007, 09:49 AM
I will agree that the "zoo advice" is by far the most successful method for taking whitetail. It will work every time, provided that a few factors are established. However, knowing the "lay" of the land (familiarity of it at least), where the deer might tend to be, and where the other hunters are working the bush can set you up for a perfect ambush. Whitetails almost always exit an area in the opposite direction of what is disturbing them, especially the does and young. Bucks may lag them, freeze up, or skirt around. What a game - geez I love matching wits with those guys! I've even seen them freeze up and let the hunter pass, then buzz off in the direction the hunter just came from, run down a long steep embankment and jump in the Columbia river and swim across to the other side. However when they are in full rut, they tend to let their guard down and "can" be easier to fool. My 2 cents.