PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions for Partially Disabled deer hunter?

Island Idiots
06-23-2011, 10:14 AM
My wife, daughter, boyfriend and I are planning a deer hunt in October, as our Moose draw didn't pan out. For a number of reasons, we are not camping at a Foresty Campsite like I used to. My Daughter and her man have taken CORE and got their Firearms licence.
Neither have hunted before, and it has been a while since I have as well due to health and finances.
Anyway, I have hunted around Williams lake some and I would be game to go anywhere we can get decent accomadations with a kitchenette. I will probably stay in Billys Pond and hunt 5-2, in hopes of getting these young folks hooked on the sport unless anyone has any other suggestions.
I can walk a little ways and hope to get the kids out of the truck and in a ground blind or stand. My real hope is to get them hooked so they will want to do it again and maybe then with their help, next year we can drag out the moose shack and all that stuff I have stashed away from years past....:-D
I am not looking for gimmees, just general suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks folks!

yukon john
06-23-2011, 11:15 AM
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]My wife, daughter, boyfriend and I
What does your wife think of you having a boyfriend?

LYKTOHUNT
06-23-2011, 11:23 AM
One suggestion might be to stay at McLeese lake I think the name is McLeese lake resort and I believe they have kitchenetts.
There is lots of places to hunt from there on the east side of the fraser, you are sort of half way between Quesnel and the puddle

06-23-2011, 11:36 AM
I'll blast ya a pm but!

Make sure you bring a shotgun or a .22 for birds. When you are starting out new hunters this is key. Success, You can have alot of fun shooting birds if you are having trouble finding deer. And try to park at a lake and bring some fishing gear. You have to make it a well rounded trip. The new guy may not be super focused on getting a deer, or may not know about all the other fun there is out there. Show them the whole thing.

I'm sure you will be able to find a nice cutblock to sit in for the mornings and evenings. Just think about how far you can walk comforably, or get some one to drop you off and then drive the truck a bit away from where you are going to watch.

Good luck and have fun.

markt308
06-23-2011, 11:48 AM
Motel in Princeton haha. kinda basic but i have buddies that stay there every year. they welcome hunters apparently, should have what you need. Only 4 hrs from Tsawassen ferry. good luck

Piperdown
06-23-2011, 11:53 AM
Try Tunkwa Lake Resort, any muley buck for Oct. and any whitetail buck too.

Foxton Gundogs
06-23-2011, 12:01 PM
You can stay at Kokanee Bay, Del and Rose are great people, and have the motel and cabins and hunt up behind what used to be Clancey's (burnt down now) almost across the road, you head back to L.L.Hache from the motel and take the first left I took a huge 17X21 Non typical from there there are lots of smaller bucks and a big percentage of non typs. back there. Or go to the north end of the lake and hang a left, there are miles of deer producing roads back there.

Good Luck

Carnivore King
06-23-2011, 12:25 PM
I took a huge 17X21 Non typical from there

Pictures please..

swampdonkey
06-23-2011, 12:32 PM
Try Tunkwa Lake Resort, any muley buck for Oct. and any whitetail buck too.

X2 Lots of smaller bucks running around plus you have a chance for moose oct 15th

Jelvis
06-23-2011, 12:34 PM
Try those Lakefront Cabins as advertised on this sight by Red Lake near Kamloops.
Those would fit the bill and more, deer, moose grouse. Nice scenery and on the lake in comfortable place and close with excellent fishing prospects out the door. Wow!
Jel .. hey look it up and it's another great option easy on the wallet. Lakefront cabins
Great for your hunting group with warm, clean cozy comfort while hunting.

mark
06-23-2011, 12:51 PM
Pictures please..

X2.... gotta see this one!

Island Idiots
06-23-2011, 09:09 PM
Thanks to everyone who sent me PM's and reply's to my request for assistance. I am now armed with enough information to make an informed decision. This site and the people on it are very helpful and for that I am truly grateful.
I will let you know how it works out. Let the planning begin!:mrgreen:

hunter1947
06-24-2011, 03:41 AM
My thoughts are that it does not matter where you hunt the main thing is getting out with the young ones and being there for them to help in any way you can you are the teacher and if they don't get anything thats not what counts just teaching them being there for them is the key ,good luck with your hunts this fall ,H-47.

06-24-2011, 10:37 AM
You could give Crooked Lake Resort a try - about 1 1/2 hours north-east from 100 Mile House. There are deer, grouse and rabbits in the area (moose on LEH) and the fishing can be pretty good too (small aluminum boat w/motor available for rent). The cabins are rustic, but very comfortable and the price is good too.

Island Idiots
11-21-2011, 08:55 AM
My wife, daughter, boyfriend and I are planning a deer hunt in October, as our Moose draw didn't pan out. For a number of reasons, we are not camping at a Foresty Campsite like I used to. My Daughter and her man have taken CORE and got their Firearms licence.
Neither have hunted before, and it has been a while since I have as well due to health and finances.
Anyway, I have hunted around Williams lake some and I would be game to go anywhere we can get decent accomadations with a kitchenette. I will probably stay in Billys Pond and hunt 5-2, in hopes of getting these young folks hooked on the sport unless anyone has any other suggestions.
I can walk a little ways and hope to get the kids out of the truck and in a ground blind or stand. My real hope is to get them hooked so they will want to do it again and maybe then with their help, next year we can drag out the moose shack and all that stuff I have stashed away from years past....:-D
I am not looking for gimmees, just general suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks folks!

I said I would let you know how it turned out....
Thanks to everyone for the advice. We ended up spending almost a week at Timothy Lake Resort. Decent accomadation and very nice people. We hunted hard and I was able to share a ton of information on deer habitat, habits, and basic info on how to hunt them. The young couple paid close attention and I was very impressed with the efforts of my daughters partner. He worked hard and showed willingness to endure the cold and wet with patience.
We saw 50 or so does, and a couple of bucks but no luck. This wasn`t a loss though as we all had such a good time, and learned that we can stay in the bush together. The young man, enjoyed himself immensley for his first hunt and I we are all excited about next year as we are all ready planning a Moose hunt PG way. Thanks again to everyone for your comments and advice.
My wife and I are excited to welcome our new hunting partners!:mrgreen:

P.S. This isn`t the end of the season for us yet. I will post a new thread and photos of a very happy new hunting partner soon as I am able!

11-21-2011, 09:41 AM
I.I
Glad you had a good time, Killing is not everything and does not define success as a hunter.

Deer_Slayer
11-21-2011, 01:09 PM
hahahhaahah..you crazy nut..thanks for a good chuckle

Looking_4_Jerky
11-21-2011, 01:59 PM
What does your wife think of you having a boyfriend?

lol... punctuation is everything (although I have seen a trifle worse on this site)...

I.I. Glad you had a good hunt!