PDA

View Full Version : Bison draw 7-57 A jan 1 to jan 15

Don_Abbate
06-23-2011, 06:49 AM
I was lucky enough to get this once in a lifetime draw just wondering if anyone has experience on this draw and area any info will be helpfull and would be much appreciated thank you i can taste the bison burgers now lol

Brett
06-23-2011, 07:18 AM
Noahdawg has the same draw.........

BiG Boar
06-23-2011, 07:31 AM
Just imagine really really cold. Then get as prepared as you can for that. You will want a snowmobile and a sled to drag your buffalo in. Find some fresh tracks, follow them on foot till you find dung, see if its fresh, then walk to catch up, looking ahead. Spot the herd, use an appropriate gun, then the work begins in extremely cold weather. Arrange a wall tent with a stove or rent a cabin (preferred). Know how to start your truck in minus 30 after it sits for a week. Its a fairly easy hunt, if you can get around the equipment/logistics of it. I would very highly recommend to arrive 5 or more days after your tag is open. You think you want to be out hunting opening morning but so does everyone eles. 40 piped up sleds ripping up the country side tends to drive the buffalo into the trees. The crowds will be gone home empty handed and the buffalo will return to the fields as it quiets down. A pretty cool hunt, in fact I'm having buffalo ribs for dinner! PM me with specific questions, I'd be happy to help.

M.Dean
06-23-2011, 07:42 AM
Maybe type in Bison in the search box on here, there's lots of story's about Hunting Buffalo. I'd think the weather is the main issue up there, the snow can be deep and it can be real bloody cold, so you'll have to dress with freezing to death in mind! If your taking a Snow machine make real sure it works! Don't borrow some piece of crap from your buddy that he's Duct Taped it together and the motor has a knock in it, buy or rent a new one!A friend of mine went up there a few years back, he tried to take the Cheap Route to Buffalo Hunting, one morning he left his big gloves in the cabin, he went out on the Snow machine alone and had both his hands freeze, when I seen them when he got back, they were twice the size, his fingers were real bad, Dam lucky he didn't lose any fingers, and no, he didn't get his "Buff", he was luck to get out alive!!! I've never hunted Buffalo, but I've hunted in some of the coldest conditions possible, and every thing you take has to work, from your Rifle to your Boots, every story on here about the Bison Hunt has some great tips for you, read them and take heed, it is the Hunt of a Life Time! Good Luck!!!

moosinaround
06-24-2011, 04:18 PM
I was lucky enough to get this once in a lifetime draw just wondering if anyone has experience on this draw and area any info will be helpfull and would be much appreciated thank you i can taste the bison burgers now lol
I got the 7-57B Nov 20-Dec 6 draw. I am going to take a sled and a quad with me. Gonna try ans stay as close as I can get a camper in, then ATV/Sled from there. It is cold even at this time of year, so I can only imagine how cold January will be. Sounds like a wall tent operation to me!! NoahDawg has the draw for January I believe. Good hunting, Moosin

madrona sh
06-24-2011, 05:21 PM
Congrats and have a great hunt.

06-24-2011, 07:46 PM
Blue berry band out of Ft. St John,
cabins, access, not cheap though .......... buggers want 175 each tag or not just traveling through their land.

There ........ that outa get things going ....

CT

oneheadshot
06-24-2011, 09:03 PM
I've been on that hunt 5 times in the last 7 years if you need any info just let me know... we rent the cabins its worth the piddley couple hundred bucks big cabin sleeps up to 12 guys easily 100 bucks a night... most bulls get shot within 5 km, last year i shot mine 26 miles back in the valley dressed out at 870 when he was hanging. Can't wait to get it back from the taxidermist!!! Be prepared for -30 for a week straight thats usually what it is when you drop down into the valley. Bring a chunk of stove pipe with a 90 degree elbow so you can heat yur oil pan with a tigger torch before you start it. And go on opening day you might see a couple other guys no big deal.. We have two draws from dec 16 to the 31st again so god luck take a couple sleds and a plastic skiff you'd be amazed you can drag a whole buffalo if you can roll it in!

Pablothemagnificent
06-24-2011, 09:57 PM
Don,
I had a draw for bison in 7-57A eight years ago in late December. We rented a cabin from the Blueberry band, as has been mentioned above. I found the accomodations rustic but good. You have to scout and glass from the ridges, but something will show up if you are diligent enough. In our case, we located a herd of about 60 on a mountainside at dusk. Kinda hard to miss that many critters. We came back the next morning at first light, and hiked up a ridge of trees in 18 inches of snow for about an hour. I got within 70 yards of a dry cow and managed to drop her cleanly. Definitely a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
My advice: 1) Be prepared for extremely cold weather 2) Bring a snowmachine and a sled 3) Bring a heavy caliber rifle for backup, in case a bad-ass bull charges you, which they have done occasionally.( I brought a 4570, which I didn't need in the end).
4) Be stealthy, stay downwind and move slowly when you get within sight. Bison set up sentries facing outwards from the herd for protection. 5) Be aware that even in January, some grizzlies are active and potentially in the area.
The bison we got was great, lean eating. Great roasts and burgers.
I'm envious. Congratulations and enjoy!

shawnwells
06-24-2011, 10:54 PM
Or the snow can be not deep...as it was last December...then you can follow the sled parts on your quad...

Maybe type in Bison in the search box on here, there's lots of story's about Hunting Buffalo. I'd think the weather is the main issue up there, the snow can be deep and it can be real bloody cold, so you'll have to dress with freezing to death in mind! If your taking a Snow machine make real sure it works! Don't borrow some piece of crap from your buddy that he's Duct Taped it together and the motor has a knock in it, buy or rent a new one!A friend of mine went up there a few years back, he tried to take the Cheap Route to Buffalo Hunting, one morning he left his big gloves in the cabin, he went out on the Snow machine alone and had both his hands freeze, when I seen them when he got back, they were twice the size, his fingers were real bad, Dam lucky he didn't lose any fingers, and no, he didn't get his "Buff", he was luck to get out alive!!! I've never hunted Buffalo, but I've hunted in some of the coldest conditions possible, and every thing you take has to work, from your Rifle to your Boots, every story on here about the Bison Hunt has some great tips for you, read them and take heed, it is the Hunt of a Life Time! Good Luck!!!

scottwh
06-24-2011, 11:12 PM
I have the same draw. Sounds like its gonna be fun! I'd better knock the dust off the ol' weatherby!!!

Brett
06-25-2011, 12:18 AM
you guys should all rent the same cabin ....................

Bullofthebush
06-25-2011, 04:38 PM
Never hunted buffalo in BC but have in Alberta above Rainbow lake and Vermillion, Same kind of hunt,cold and hard.Don't forget to bring a come a long and a chain saw with you. A big buffallo is hard to roll over in the snow and gut out. You may want to anchor to your smow mobile with the come a long and pull him over on his back. I fill may chainsaw oiler (never used for anything else but meat) with canola oil. Use that to buck the beast into quaters, it will fit in your sled easier and you may get lucky and avoid a heart attach in the process. Trust me it is work,work work. Don't forget to peal off several layers of clothing beforfe you start to gut it or you will be soaked by the time you are done. Rule (1) in the cold, don't sweat it (2) don't wear anything cotton, cotton kills. it will absorb water & freeze you solid.(3) build a fire at the beast before you start to gut it,you can warm up if you have to.(4) don't forget your emergency rations, chocolat bars, granola bars,matches,fire starter etc. best damn fire starter there is is cheetos cheese snacks. they burn like gasoline. Shoot from a distance , i use a 338 win mag, but a 30-06 will work just fine,hit it in the hump about half way down the body just behind the front leg.

Stay safe, have a good hunt, post your pics when you get back

Belle
06-25-2011, 04:48 PM
I also was lucky enough to get a tag this year as well, the last one I got was over 10 years ago. I know it was 100 bucks to get across the Ranch then, how much is it now and who would I contact for cabins. My tag is for Dec 16-31.

06-25-2011, 09:53 PM
last year we payed 175 per head, we had 2 tags, for a total of 6 guys. 175 EACH!!!!

Cool experience. Got 2 buff had some laughs and chills from the bitter cold but I will do it again ........ if I ever get drawn again, been trying 17 years now with only 1 successful draw, yet buddy applies 3 times and is drawn twice. Crappy LEH system !

CT

mooseless
06-26-2011, 12:01 AM
i have the dec 1 - 15 draw. 6 years ago i had it and we also paid the blueberry ranch to stay there in our camper. there were some other hunters that camped for free somewhere to the south but they had to quad/sled in further than we, and then they had to cross the river. kinda risky if you cant get accross the river due to accidently fallen tree or ??. you can camp somewhere before the blueberry ranch too, but like everywhere in BC people post signs where they want to that intimidate you for there benifit, so it makes it tough to know where you can be and not be!
Be aware of frozen piles of poo on the trail! the bison purposly shit on the trail in the night to through your back out when you ride your snow machine in in the morning.