PDA

View Full Version : what affect does spike fork season have on LEH tags?

Marc
06-22-2011, 09:28 PM
Not for or against just curious to what effect it has to try and hunt any bull when the spike / fork season is in full swing. Does it lessen your odds of seeing a mature bull with all the road hunters looking for the illusive spike fork?

K-1
06-22-2011, 09:30 PM
Get off the roads and you won't have that problem.

Gateholio
06-22-2011, 09:53 PM
Hardly anybody goes out and actively seeks a spike fork moose. More like they buy a moose tag in case they see one while deer hunting. Of course, there are guys that have pre-scouted a tender spike and go to drop him early in the season, but that is the exception.

bighornbob
06-22-2011, 10:15 PM
I find it helps as there are more eyes in the woods. When I had my any bull tag I stopped and talked to two different guys that were hunting spikes and deer and they were more then willing to tell me where they saw big bulls as they could not hunt them. Unlike some of the ass hats hiding behind computer screens here that wont tell you a thing 99% of the guys you talk to in the field will try to help you out.

Bhb

Jelvis
06-22-2011, 10:18 PM
Depends on when? Moose go pre rut then rut then post rut.
Spike fork hang around the cows but in the main moose rut when the cow wants jumped she tells the spike to buzz off and the big bull chases the lil guy a ways. lol.
Then the older bull at least 3 and a half years old and older jumps her. Hangs around a bit tries again then heads out looking for another cow that wants a little snugglin, then the spike whose bin watching from the side lines comes back to mamma when the big bad bull has left.
Rut is from September 20th to October 20th, peaks on October first week then tapers down by the October 20th.
When the bulls are breeding you will see them with a cow, so see cows, see a bull.
Post rut the bulls go into thick stuff lay down and rest for weeks by them selves.
Jp .. Moose .. Pre rut end of August beginning September, rut mid Sep to October 20

hunter1947
06-23-2011, 02:52 AM
Marc I find that your chances are good to find a spike bull moose in the GOS hunt in any region you will find the moose any where at any given time of the day..

Fisher-Dude
06-23-2011, 06:26 AM
I find it helps as there are more eyes in the woods. When I had my any bull tag I stopped and talked to two different guys that were hunting spikes and deer and they were more then willing to tell me where they saw big bulls as they could not hunt them. Unlike some of the ass hats hiding behind computer screens here that wont tell you a thing 99% of the guys you talk to in the field will try to help you out.

Bhb

X2 on what Bighornybob said. More than once when we've had draws in our group, other guys have told us where they've seen mature bulls. And, it has worked the opposite for me too, where a guy with a draw had seen the same S/F several days in a row, was holding out for something bigger, and told me where the immy was hanging out (immy gave me the slip, but I was close!).

I'd agree with Gate too - not many people are dedicated S/F hunters. An S/F ends up being a by-product of a deer hunt!

Stone Sheep Steve
06-23-2011, 06:35 AM
I agree with BHB and FD.......but ask any outfitter and I'm pretty sure they would disagree.....at least it seems that way by the way they lobby against s/f seasons.

SSS

cariboobill
06-23-2011, 06:56 AM
Good discussion. I think if you get off the roads as suggested you should have no problems with other hunters.

However, given I have not had an LEH for a few years for Bull Moose in my area, I have been making an effort to hunt SF moose. This year I plan to bow hunt SF moose with my cross bow and then when GOS gun season opens I will hunt them with the rifle until season ends. Being retired I hunt most days until the GOS ends in December. I also hunt a few regions for SF moose and also have seen mostly locals who hunt Specifically for SF moose. Not many folks set up camps for a SF moose hunt.

Good Luck woth your LEH!

CB

M.Dean
06-23-2011, 07:10 AM
Over the years I've talked to guys that would stop me on the road or trail and ask if I had a Moose Draw! The best part of the guys just want to be there to watch you wack the big bull they seen! Yes, you get the jealous types that will try to yell to scare the Bull away, or fire a shot etc, but there few and far between! I know I've helped a few Tag Holders over the years get there Moose, and just being there and helping out is as much of a rush as shooting it your self! Good Luck!!!

SHAKER
06-23-2011, 08:14 AM
I agree with BHB and FD.......but ask any outfitter and I'm pretty sure they would disagree.....at least it seems that way by the way they lobby against s/f seasons.

SSS

Ask any outfitter and they're going to lie to you anyways, come one you should know better then that...LOL

Back to Marc's question, I don't think them pesky road hunters trolling for S\F bulls are really something to worry about, get back off that road a little really puts the odds up too. If you got one of them bull tags then your well better off then the guy with f350 tatoo'd on his ass look'n for a unicorn.... oops I mean spike\ fork moose.

358mag
06-23-2011, 09:39 AM
Hardly anybody goes out and actively seeks a spike fork moose. More like they buy a moose tag in case they see one while deer hunting. Of course, there are guys that have pre-scouted a tender spike and go to drop him early in the season, but that is the exception.
???????
Gatehouse spend some time in Region 8 lots of hunters looking for spike-fork moose and not all of them are "locals"

Fisher-Dude
06-23-2011, 12:19 PM
???????
Gatehouse spend some time in Region 8 lots of hunters looking for spike-fork moose and not all of them are "locals"

Found one camp of Coastal Warriors last year looking for S/Fs, and that was the only "foreign" camp I saw all season long. They were deer hunting too. Best thing is, they were so busy looking at the monster bull with his one cow, that they failed to spot the other 6 moose on the other side of the valley. :wink:

At least they weren't camped in the middle of the road flipping the bird to other hunters...

Livewire322
06-23-2011, 12:56 PM
Can you shoot a spike fork as well as a your leg draw?

Caveman
06-23-2011, 01:00 PM
Hardly anybody goes out and actively seeks a spike fork moose. More like they buy a moose tag in case they see one while deer hunting.

Totally disagree with this statement. I for years pursued the Spike fork moose and carried a deer tag in the event I saw a shooter. always had lots of company in my area of choice and they weren't there for the deer.

As for your question Marc, I would recommend getting off the beaten path, but you don't have to go far. They are just smart enough to not be standing out on the edge of the road

d6dan
06-23-2011, 01:00 PM

Whats a leg draw??:confused:

Moose72
06-23-2011, 01:02 PM
I hunt spike forks every year. (cuz i never get the LEH) But i call all kinds of bulls in and will help anyone with the draw.

Caveman
06-23-2011, 01:03 PM

Provincial bag limit for moose is one, so no!

Livewire322
06-23-2011, 03:46 PM
Whats a leg draw??:confused:

you know what i meant. but it was supposed to read LEH my phone auto corrected it

308Lover
06-23-2011, 04:26 PM
Helped out an old fellow a few years back. Said I'd just passed a moose and he turned back and shot it. You guessed it---it was a spike-fork. I felt sick that I hadn't seen his antlers clearly through the brush. I was some choked that a LEH hunter shot my elusive unicorn when he had over a month to shoot ANY bull. There's no effect for you Marc, just that crazy, dizzy feeling you get knowing that ANY antlered bull is yours to shoot! I've passed on at least a dozen that were in motion or head-on sightings--impossible to tell---until they ran. You won't have a problem Marc.

todbartell
06-23-2011, 04:31 PM
you know what i meant. but it was supposed to read LEH my phone auto corrected it

log your phone onto the BC hunting regs website and read the answer there. It's a good idea to know the regulations before heading into the field

Marc
06-23-2011, 04:48 PM
Here is a curve ball, you're 3 in a group with two LEH tags, you drop two bulls in the first couple of days, and on the way out you see a spike fork bull, can the third person legally shoot that moose if he's in possession of a tag if he was part of the LEH group?

This is just a hypothetical question as 2 moose between 3 people is enough, just curious to how it would look / work if we got checked with 3 moose in camp.:mrgreen:

ROEBUCK
06-23-2011, 04:53 PM
as long as it was shot by the guy who had not killed a moose yet i can see no problem !

BromBones
06-23-2011, 04:54 PM
Here is a curve ball, you're 3 in a group with two LEH tags, you drop two bulls in the first couple of days, and on the way out you see a spike fork bull, can the third person legally shoot that moose if he's in possession of a tag if he was part of the LEH group?

This is just a hypothetical question as 2 moose between 3 people is enough, just curious to how it would look / work if we got checked with 3 moose in camp.:mrgreen:

He sure can. If he's got a tag and spike/fork is open, perfectly fine.

mark
06-23-2011, 08:33 PM

Another thing to consider......you see a bull blast it, hmmmm it's a spike/fork, you can cut yer tag, and buddy can still shoot the any bull with the LEH!

CanuckShooter
06-23-2011, 08:42 PM
Not for or against just curious to what effect it has to try and hunt any bull when the spike / fork season is in full swing. Does it lessen your odds of seeing a mature bull with all the road hunters looking for the illusive spike fork?

It sure lowers your odds of finding that spike fork your looking for with all those LEH holding lowermainlanders bombing all over the place....if they have a mature bull draw they shouldn't be allowed to shoot the spike fork....even steven. ;-)