PDA

View Full Version : Questions regarding sleeping bags.....

huntcoop
08-21-2006, 01:25 PM
I'm in need of a new sleeping bag for this upcoming hunting season. I want one that will be comfortable in -25 degree weather. Packability is not an issue as it will only be carried from the truck to the tent. It will not be used for backpacking so weight and size are not an issue, the only issue is warmth.
Any suggestions?

I was looking at the Trekk Grizzly 5.5 or the Trekk Lumberjack at Surplus Herbies, any thoughts on these? Anyone have them, comments?

nwt2002
08-21-2006, 05:13 PM
I have always used woods, 5 star or 4 star bags. They are big bulky and heavy, but they are warm and it adds to your mattres, and they are big enough when it gets really cold -30 + you can throw a mummy bag inside and your good to go.

08-21-2006, 07:19 PM
Trekker 5 is the one l use if wt is no problem, 27 lbs of warmth no matter how cold it gets. I bought mine under the same pretense.... that it wasn't being moved any further then the truck to the tent. Great sleeping bag that is more then wide and long enough that l never feel cramped or closed in it.

huntcoop
08-24-2006, 07:12 AM
Any others using a good cold weather bag?

Avalanche123
08-24-2006, 08:55 AM
Well I use a down mummy bag for all my winter and fall activities and I've had excellent luck. Spent numerous nights to -30 in a tent in the winter and numerous wet fall hunts (used a lighter down bag though) using down.

My recommendation is check out Mountain Hardware. Getting a good down bag with a breathable water resistant outer (can't recall what they use but it is similar to gore-tex) will be both super warm and light weight. I realize weight is not an issue but keep in mind that the bigger the bag, it takes more body heat to warm that area too....

Check out the numerous mountaineering web sites for up to date product info. A good start is Mountain Equipment Coop or Mountain Magic.

Good luck and hopefully stay warm!

BCLongshot
08-24-2006, 07:13 PM
Find a military surplus store.

If they have a good bag (2 + liner) you'll be warm trust me.(CF issue)

Should go for about $ 150

Deal of the century !

BANG!
08-24-2006, 08:39 PM
I'll second Avalanche's recomendation for Mountain Equipment Coop. The kit they've got is usually tried, tested and true. The pricing is usually good too.

check them out at www.mec.ca (http://www.mec.ca)

good luck.

PS - If you don't need lightweight and 'compact-a-bility', you might want to consider synthetic bags. They'll keep you just as warm as a down bag (rated to perform at the same temps) - but just won't pack up so small. A synthetic bag will be better in damp conditions too - down doesn't like the damp.

Also - make sure you try it on first. There's nothing worse than a sleeping bag that's just a bit too short or too tight. A good bag is a very important investment. If you get a bad night's sleep, it can screw up the rest of what should have been a great day out on the hill.

ratherbefishin
08-25-2006, 07:03 AM
ah, just get an oversize sleeping bag, any good brand will do and take a good warm woman* along.....makes any sleeping bag warm and toasty....
* in my case,she's just as cuddly as she was 34 years ago when I married her....I call her my ''cordless electric blanket''

huntcoop
08-25-2006, 07:12 AM
So far, thanx for the input. I currently have a mummy bag but would rather my next bag to be more "roomy". The MEC bags all seem to be on the tight side if ya know what I mean, mummy or barrel.

I slept with a nice underpad, 2 fleece liners, long underwear and I was still cold, the mummy bag was rated to -15 and it dipped down to about -23.

That is why I kinda thought of the larger heavy -25 to -35 rectangle bags. Maybe I'm thinking the wrong way, I just don't wanna spend big $ and then be dis-appointed and cold.

Visle
08-25-2006, 07:33 AM
I use a Woods five star that I've had for over 30 years. I find mummy bags restrictive but with the advantage that the lack of a zipper helps keep the cold out.I use a foam underpad and with the Woods down bag I find it too much when the weather isn't -8 degrees or so and find it necessary to open the zipper to cool off a tad.The things I would look for especially in a bag are a good quality flannel liner, heavy weight zipper, storm lining on the inside of the zipper and an outer fabric that doesn't frost over like nylon does. Nothing worse than trying to sleep when your face comes into contact with a sheet of frost.

Poguebilt
08-25-2006, 08:22 AM
As in clothng I do the layer system with my sleepingbags.

I have a polar fleece liner and then I have a woods -15 tappered mummy ( lil more room to move around) then i slide that into a -10 rectangular bag. Never had a problem with being cold.

on a side note.... I find that when I wore long johns etc. I was colder. I sleep with nothin on and im fine in the cold temps.

huntcoop
08-28-2006, 10:12 AM
Poguebilt, what temperatures have you been in with that set-up??

Poguebilt
08-28-2006, 10:46 AM
around minus 30 give or take.... I have also used this setup to sleep in snow caves in manning park.

LOC has propert in merrit and we go there year round and esp. for New Years!!!

I just moved to Cranbrook this April and feel confident I will be warm all winter long when camping / hunting.

I just don't see the need to spend huge $$$ on 1 bag when I have 2 "medium" priced for different times of year and then I through a fleece liner in and im good with all three for what ever temp.

AND its easier to tuck 3 small bags into the truck than make room for 1 big one!

just my 2 cents though!

good luck and stay warm!

sealevel
08-28-2006, 10:48 AM
I have a cheep sleeping bag from costco seemed like every time it froze i froze . My wife sowed in a 5 point hudson bay blanket i have never bin cold since you can hardly pack it from the truck to the tent it so heavy but its warm.

The 'Hummer'
08-28-2006, 11:27 AM
After freezing my buns off on a Moose trip, the next year I borrowed the following from my father in law. Its a Pioneer Brand, XXXX Genuine Yukon Iderdown, 90 x 90 Zipper from Jones Tent & Awning, Vancouver. He did a lot of trapping & prospecting in the Wells & Pr. George area and told me of a few instances of sleeping in a snow bank with that bag & a ground sheet. I've only needed to zip it up once that I can recall. It could use a new liner now but I was somewhat impressed after using it so about twenty years ago I purchased a newer model, 78 x 84 Yukon Jr. On two occasions in about -10 F I slept in my truck canopy and only about half zipped up. I wouldn't want to pack it/them up more than a flight of stairs but if it ever gets to the point of being cold in either of them, life as we know it will cease to exist.