PDA

View Full Version : 4.08c++

jdmck
06-22-2011, 04:54 PM
I have a cow elk for this MU and will be goin down next month to have a quick look around but the Misses wont let me use too much of our holiday time scouting having looked on google there seems to be lots of p.property and not an awful lot of access anyone willing to give any pointers the draw is for Sept :confused:j

smoothbor
06-22-2011, 08:08 PM
Can be a tough hunt due to the elevation restriction at that time of the year, some of the private land owners do grant permission to the hunters with draws as the elk due cause alot of damage to crops and gardens, but if its hot they like the higher elevations and dark timber, so good luck to you, scouting helps for sure and talking to local farmers with land ahead of time helps for sure....

danno74
06-22-2011, 08:57 PM
I'm in the same boat, first time draw for cow elk 4-08c in january. Anyone had success with this draw and could point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Alpine Addict
06-22-2011, 09:52 PM
I'm in the same boat, first time draw for cow elk 4-08c in january. Anyone had success with this draw and could point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Dad got the janruary draw a couple years ago. We lucked out and killed one, but had to get permission on some private property. Call the CO and he might be able to put you in contact with someone. We talked to him, and he gave us a number of a farmer who had them coming to his field everynight. If you got permission on land it can be a east hunt

Whonnock Boy
06-22-2011, 10:19 PM
I have hunted in and around there. Had the bull draw back in 97 for 4 17. Ended up hunting some private property out of Crescent Valley. This info is of no help to you all though, the gentleman who let us hunt there no longer allows access. Insurance and liability issues. Although I might have to give him a call and talk to him about the private property insurance through the BCWF. Either way, completely understandable. Touched a little bit of it last year with the new 6 point season in and around Pass Creek, Krestova area.

I would think the Sept draw would be good. You just have to be on them first. As the season progresses, and the 6 point season opens, I think it might get more difficult. Later after things calm down in Nov and Dec, I would think it would get better especially with them coming down off the hills for the winter.

Overall, it is not a lot of area to go and scope out. Knocking on a few doors never hurts. Don't be afraid to stop and talk to Frank while he is getting the mail, Mary while she is walking the dog, or Jimmy while he is choppin wood. Incidentally, my two hunting partners got a group draw for December, so I will be doing a bit of the same when I am up and around there for the bull season. :-D

smoothbor
06-23-2011, 09:50 AM
my wife had the december draw last year and she was successful in the end seen lots of elk on both public and private land, a friend had the sept draw 2 yrs ago and was unsuccessful as the weather was hot and the elk were higher up and holed up but there is still elk down low on alot of the private land, just got to get out there and knock on some doors before the season starts