PDA

View Full Version : Meager creek mountain goat

GreatWhitePopogeebo
06-22-2011, 12:29 PM
sweet should b fun cant wait!

lovemywinchester
06-22-2011, 12:46 PM
sweet should b fun cant wait!
I think it will be fun because your going to need a helicopter to get there. The big landslide took out the road last year from what I heard. Things may be different now but you may want to take a drive out there to see what's happening.
http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/gallery/html/bc_mudslide_100806/photo_0.html

Gateholio
06-22-2011, 01:33 PM
As far as I know the road is still wiped out.

Singleshotneeded
06-22-2011, 01:40 PM
No worries Great White, charter a helicopter to drop you and your equipment off
and have it come back to pick you up five days later. Good thing you're after a
goat and not bull moose!

GreatWhitePopogeebo
06-22-2011, 01:41 PM
does that mean its ok not to go that sucks

bcmulie
06-22-2011, 05:32 PM
Here's some more info on the road status:

http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/dsq/Engineering/roadinformation.htm

Looks like your biggest problem will be that the bridge over the Lillooet River is gone. If you have a boat to get you across the river, then it's just a matter of hiking...

swampthing
06-22-2011, 05:58 PM
The more remote the better. Good luck.

GreatWhitePopogeebo
06-22-2011, 09:28 PM
All I need is a boat to get there sweet I'm going I thought upper lillooet was closed for som reason sweet thanks guys i'll make my first trip up there in 2 weeks or so check it out thanks again

lovemywinchester
06-22-2011, 11:57 PM
All I need is a boat to get there sweet I'm going I thought upper lillooet was closed for som reason sweet thanks guys i'll make my first trip up there in 2 weeks or so check it out thanks again

Here is a map and sat photo to give some perspective on the slide and how big it really is. http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/dsq/Engineering/Meager_Slide_Aug6_2010_Area_Base_Map.pdf
I hope you can get out there. That slide is so big I wonder how many goats it took out when it slid?
http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/shed/MtMeager.jpg.

bandit
06-23-2011, 09:43 AM
No worries Great White, charter a helicopter to drop you and your equipment off
and have it come back to pick you up five days later.

You might be allowed to do that in Texas but not in BC! Read the hunting regs!

Singleshotneeded
06-23-2011, 10:07 AM
Well that is just cockeyed! A helicopter has never been part of my hunting plans so I never looked it up, but
why would a helicopter be illegal and a float plane is just fine? :-)

06-23-2011, 10:11 AM
Wholly crap!
that slide is huge!

I wonder if this guy is aloud to ask for help on his LEH?

Nathaniel Poe
06-23-2011, 05:43 PM
get some good mud tires for an ATV, should make short work of that slide. Good luck!

sparkes3
06-23-2011, 07:13 PM
you wont think so if you seen that slide first hand

Amphibious
06-23-2011, 08:22 PM
it never ceases to amaze me that people will put in for an LEH without doing any research into the area first.

sparkes3
06-23-2011, 09:20 PM
get a backroads mapbook and check out some other roads that may get you to hiking distance,the bridge across lillooet river was not out the last time i was up there but the gate may be locked now.

MFERGIE
06-23-2011, 11:54 PM
If you live in the Lower Mainland why not put in for the draw? Not like the draw dates don't give you enough time to explore the handful of roads that actually access where the goats are... "its a Sept 1 through Nov draw!"...just because a few guys throw some pointers out there about the slide doesn't mean he hasn't researched the land...isn't this site about exchanging info and researching? I also got the draw :)

Gilmore
06-24-2011, 06:38 AM
Getting across the Lillooet River will be your biggest obstacle, but I'm sure its doable. I cross that river all the time in a 12' row boat but the water is alot rougher and faster at that end of the valley. After that you will have a bit of a walk and I really don't know what it would be like walking across that slide it's HUGE. You will have another creek crossing in the middle of it (Capricorn Creek, which was responsible for the slide) which could prove challenging as well. Best bet is to drive up there get up higher on the opposite side with a spotter and check out your options.

bcmulie
06-24-2011, 08:07 AM
it never ceases to amaze me that people will put in for an LEH without doing any research into the area first.

It never ceases to amaze me that people will take unnecessary cheapshots rather than offering helpful advice and information.

Gateholio
06-24-2011, 08:21 AM
It never ceases to amaze me that people will take unnecessary cheapshots rather than offering helpful advice and information.

HA

Good burn! :)

BCBear
06-24-2011, 08:25 AM
they never do when they are posting up their own hunts

lovemywinchester
06-24-2011, 08:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHw0OtZX4Cg

huntcoop
06-24-2011, 08:35 AM
WOW, that is a crazy slide! I had heard it was bad but WOW.

Amphibious
06-24-2011, 10:37 AM
how is that cheap? the OP didn't know about the bridge or slide. that's a pretty major failing in the research department. so helpful advice? how about checking into access issues before applying for a draw? other then that I wish him luck, he has a helluva hike ahead of him. I want to see people have successful hunts, they won a lottery, they should be able to enjoy it! how many threads over the years on this and other sites have you read with comments like "what do you mean it's fly in only?" "Native land? huh?" "no one told me the road is gated!" a little homework prevents this, and you end up with a happy hunter, and I get to read a good hunt story online :)

MichelD
06-24-2011, 11:12 AM
Sounds like an adventure.

Deeboe
06-24-2011, 11:29 AM
No road, means no hunting traffic. Get your quad ready and make sure you have a Muley tag on your way in. Good Luck!

cruiser
06-24-2011, 12:13 PM
There's also the other bridge across the river further up the valley if you want to avoid the slide area. Not sure how the hunting is on that north face though.

bcmulie
06-24-2011, 01:36 PM
Amphibious, your comment rubbed me the wrong way because it didn't contribute meaningfully to the thread, it was negative towards the OP, and you don't know what investigation the OP had done prior to applying, whether he'd previously been up in the area, whether he was out of the country when the slide happened or hadn't heard about it for other reasons.

bcmulie

GreatWhitePopogeebo
06-24-2011, 05:00 PM
I dont remeber asking anyone for help and sorry if u thought that im just excited for the hunt i know this area very well and that it is a cake walk for me if anything this negativity has just got my blood boiling if i have to i will stay on that mountain for a week ill post pictures, for all other who have that draw dont b discouraged believe me u can get your goat out of there just have to walk a little further big deal. I havent been on a goat hunt where i havnt had to cross a river. Hey bc mulie u heading for ashnola good luck dude thats an awsome draw ive been on 4 hunts up there all awsome. PM (what date) me ill gladly share what little i know with you because i want to see others happy for crying out loud theres enough game for everyone good luck to all im looking forward to a great year. Another goat im freakn lucky.

proguide66
06-24-2011, 09:09 PM
I went up there for a look last weekend. You wont get a quad through there in an y short time...might take a week er so.to worm one up there AFTER getting it across the river.
Theres some piss cutter blacktails in there,bring a tag. LOADS of deer migraion tracks all over the wash bed looking to cross the river as well a great place to shoot a wolf as they are running out there after the deer.
If you WANT a goat from there you will get one......if its too tough for YOU , you wont.

You can cross the river easily with a canoe or a blow up..drive right to the old brige and its turned into a big calm(kinda) pool. If you dont scoot across and go down river,say goodbye to your boat.
The hike in wont be half as far as any stone sheep hike off any highway , it will just be sweaty ..as usual..
You can stay on the mainline and head farther NW and have a look at that side as there is still an old road windng around the back. Its a steep and gnarley climb on that side.I'd be more about walking in along the new slide bed.
That mountain is crumbling..be wary , good luck...maybe stop at the 'Porch' if you get one and tell a story en route home!

MFERGIE
06-25-2011, 02:41 AM
Thanks for the info proguide, have seen plenty of nice billies up around that area and am looking forward to the hike in :) Well said Greatwhite...I never thought Coastal B.C. goat hunting would have me crossing rivers and walking off the gravel road...I thought goats just crossed the road like mulies ya know..."I came around the corner on my quad and there he was just standing there broadside LOL!" For those with no sense of humour, obviously joking! I'm sure I'll see ya up there while I'm hiking around, feel free to pm....see ya on the 'Porch' proguide lol....Best of luck to everyone on their draws!

GreatWhitePopogeebo
06-25-2011, 08:53 AM
yup what u said Mfergie, solid info PG66 doesnt take long to figure out who the classy guys are around here and the haters 6 draws nice chunk of rock plenty of animals nice and steady hope to see successfull hunts bye the end of it I have a funny feeling that this is gonna be a good year for goat hunters all in all. Ok ill bite where is this Porch and is there beer if so im in.

EvanG
06-25-2011, 07:57 PM
good luck. tougher the hunt the greater the reward

sparkes3
06-25-2011, 08:12 PM
the road up the other side of the valley had quite a few large boulders blocking most of it when i was bear hunting last year you might be able to get around them with a dirt bike.
then again the road may be clear now

gunnie2008
06-25-2011, 10:02 PM
eH Gi tr done Got r did have 378 will rollem right to ya

Albafly
06-26-2011, 04:52 PM
Hi all,

Out of interest, does anyone know why Mt Meager is the only LEH draw in Reg 2? There are GOS areas in Reg 2, so why is this one LEH?

Thanks

Gunsmoke
06-26-2011, 07:05 PM
More to the point; I am surprised that our government would even offer an LEH in that area given the situation in that area. Really, they should know better.

Good luck but not something that I would waste my hard-earned dollars on......

MFERGIE
06-26-2011, 07:38 PM
Any time I have a chance to get into the bush I concider myself lucky...leh draw soo close to home even luckier...zero deer hunter pressure "somebody put a slot machine in front of me!" If the stats are right the last leh goat taken out of this draw was in 2003...numbers indicate that population is very healthy although over 60% nannies were harvested over all dated back to mid 80's I believe...correct me if I'm wrong but beyond a tough hike in the odds seem in favour of the lucky hunters drawn. Maybe I should just save all my "hard earned dollars" give up on a tough goat hunt "close to home" and focus on my moose and bison draw...Not one to waste an excellent tag that many people would hate to see go to waste.

MFERGIE
06-26-2011, 08:00 PM
...hot off the news reel...hunting buddy scored the same draw...looks like my costs just got cut in half :) Ok who got the other 3 tags?

limit time
06-26-2011, 08:25 PM
...hot off the news reel...hunting buddy scored the same draw...looks like my costs just got cut in half :) Ok who got the other 3 tags?

I put in for it...but no such luck. Good luck to you though!

GreatWhitePopogeebo
06-26-2011, 10:33 PM
The last goat taken was in 2003 really well have to put an end to that stat cmon boys wanna see some goat pics in a few months time cant wait so what you guys thinkn early sept or gonna try for later im thinkn mid sept for me going for 4 point for first couple weekends then its all goat baby. Like u said close to home 2-3hrs tops and your spotting cant beat that. Heading up July 5th for a drive i give update when i return.

MFERGIE
06-27-2011, 03:18 AM
Hoping to get out in the next few weeks with my bud that got the other tag, find a way in and take a hike up the mountain...with some hard miles and a little luck I'll hopefully have some good goat footage to share! 3 guys with tags, 2 months til opening...heck we can build our own bridge across lol...whatever it takes I guess...I got a sturdy horse thats just full of piss and vinigar, I'm sure he wouldn't mind packin a couple goats out :) My calendar is open for goats until Nov 1st moose so "if another landslide doesn't happen" I'll have lots of time to put on the mountain.

TheObserver
01-02-2022, 11:58 PM
I know this is an old thread, but does anyone know how the area is now if there were anymore slides etc. I am thinking about putting in for this hunt. My Dad got a Billie out of here sometime in the early 2000's, he put it in the bc book. It would be cool to both have gotten a billie out of here and would make him proud.

Thanks for any updates

MichelD
01-03-2022, 12:47 PM
There is the issue of getting across the upper Lillooet River if you want to hunt Mt. Meager.

Part of the zone is north of the river but you'd have to be prepared for heck of a bushwhack to do it, and I don't know if there are realistically any goats there anyway. I think I recall news of a guy getting chewed up by a grizzly up there in 2020 looking for goats though.

I did run into a guy driving the upper lillooet river road last year who had the draw but didn't semm to know any of the above.

TheObserver
01-03-2022, 12:52 PM
Hey MichelD, can I send you a PM?

MichelD
01-03-2022, 01:06 PM
Hey MichelD, can I send you a PM?

Sure, go ahead.

Bugle M In
01-03-2022, 02:19 PM
I know someone who had the draw up in Meager, and they didn't do all that well.
Meanwhile a friend of theirs had the draw for Texas Cr and did well.
My dad used to hunt Texas many years ago.
But, I am but sure if you can still hunt it?

twoSevenO
01-03-2022, 03:44 PM
from what i hear there are way easier spots to get a goat.
Honestly, the LEH draw odds for that one aren't even that good considering how difficult access has gotten since the giant slide years ago.

I would think many people continue to put in, because it looks close to home on the map, but they aren't actually aware of the access problem.

MichelD
01-03-2022, 04:33 PM
I know someone who had the draw up in Meager, and they didn't do all that well.
Meanwhile a friend of theirs had the draw for Texas Cr and did well.
My dad used to hunt Texas many years ago.
But, I am but sure if you can still hunt it?

I don't know if there's a draw there any more, but a couple years ago there was a slide across the road we didn't dare cross in a Toyota Land Cruiser. To steep an angle and too many oil pan rippers. Maybe Lillooet folks could update.

twoSevenO
01-03-2022, 06:29 PM
I don't know if there's a draw there any more, but a couple years ago there was a slide across the road we didn't dare cross in a Toyota Land Cruiser. To steep an angle and too many oil pan rippers. Maybe Lillooet folks could update.

There are lots of draws in 3-16 where Texas creek is, but I think that FSR has been blocked off for other reasons now (grizzly mating area plus natives not allowing etc).

I haven't been up Texas in some time now but it's a beautiful area where you can drive your Jeep way above the treeline on old mining roads. And yes, there are grizzlies in there for sure.

TheObserver
01-03-2022, 07:49 PM
Would have been cool to get a Goat off the same mountain as my old man, maybe not practical now. I have never been up Texas but googled it looks really nice, do you know if the Gov has blocked the road off for Grizzly bear purposes or is it just a native road block? Any of you guys know how the Goat hunting is where it has a GOS in region 1 and 2?

Ohwildwon
01-03-2022, 09:31 PM
You could probably get pretty close in a Super Cub

Bugle M In
01-04-2022, 03:11 AM
Would have been cool to get a Goat off the same mountain as my old man, maybe not practical now. I have never been up Texas but googled it looks really nice, do you know if the Gov has blocked the road off for Grizzly bear purposes or is it just a native road block? Any of you guys know how the Goat hunting is where it has a GOS in region 1 and 2?

I remember going with my dad, or should i say staying in the truck with my mom while he went up.
Back then however, the trees all over the region there were lower.
You could drive along Duffy Lk Rd (gravel and had to come in from Lillooet only), and see goat, sometimes only 400 to 500 yards
uphill from the road!
Especially back then when you could get some decent snowfall in there early enough.
That campsite park or whatever it is on the east side of the lake was originally a spot my dad and his friends cut into the forest way back when to just get off the road and make a camp.
He even had my mom climb up with him the day after getting a billy so that he could get it down whole!

Texas Cr was his favorite area for goat back in the day.

Huntingtyler123
01-04-2022, 10:21 AM
This is a good old thread. I’m planning where to put in for my leh this year for goats. I get why people put in because it is so close to home. I was looking at 3-16 c seton lake side. Family has property on that side of the lake about halfway down seton. Been wondering if I could boat there then hike up from the property..

twoSevenO
01-04-2022, 12:42 PM
This is a good old thread. I’m planning where to put in for my leh this year for goats. I get why people put in because it is so close to home. I was looking at 3-16 c seton lake side. Family has property on that side of the lake about halfway down seton. Been wondering if I could boat there then hike up from the property..

just remember how low elevation that lake is at.
It's A LOT of elevation gain on foot from there to goat country.

Huntingtyler123
01-04-2022, 12:52 PM
just remember how low elevation that lake is at.
It's A LOT of elevation gain on foot from there to goat country.

Yes good point , maybe I can throw a three wheeler on the boat lol

Tyler660
08-03-2023, 08:27 PM
I know it’s an old thread but has anyone on here had the draw and gone in there? I’ve got zone a this year. I’ve called the pemberton forest service and it sounds like my only hurdle would be to get across the river other than the obvious of getting into goat country. Would be happy to hear some input thanks