PDA

View Full Version : Moose Draw Winner - HELP !!

Sonof000Buck
06-22-2011, 12:22 PM
I got the LEH, Any bull moose draw from oct.1 to oct.31

I am pretty excited !
But I am only 13 you see,
I am used to hunting, Mule deer, White-tail Deer, Blacktail, And Black bear...

I am from the island, and my pa, or step father don't know how to hunt moose.

We go out every year, for "Any Buck" Mule deer, in Kamloops, where my step dad lives.
And we have seen quite a few animals, black bear, white-tails, mule deer, moose. etc..

But still, we're not sure of the general place to look. But the place we hunt we've seen 3 moose in 1 week, not looking for them. So we're a little short for knowledge, I've made a 5 page sheet on tips, for myself to study.

Luckily, the place we hunt is where we've been drawn.

Any moose hunters near the kamloops area? NEED help ! Please ! :)

Jelvis
06-22-2011, 12:31 PM
What is the M.U. your leh is for? MU 3-?? what?
Jelly Copter

The Hermit
06-22-2011, 12:32 PM
Tell your old man that he should bring you to meet me for juice/coffee.. I'm no expert but I'll share what I know and teach you to call.

06-22-2011, 12:49 PM
Ya, 000 buck son! what MU are you pulled for?

Moose live in the same sort of country your used to hunting deer in probably. They like cutblocks. If you have time try to get some dvd's on calling. When you call you sound like a fool but the moose love it! If you hunt them the same as you do for mulies you'll be fine. And if your dad Gets you in touch with Hermit Im very sure he will help you.

The only real three pieces of advise i have that are very important is
1) do not stop shooting until they are dead, when they go down reaload and keep your rifle on it until you know for darn sure it isnt getting up again.
2)only take a chest shot, right behind the shoulder like your supposed to
3)take a million pictures and post them here for us to see!!!

If you have any questions feel free to pm me and i'll do my best

bcmulie
06-22-2011, 01:01 PM
I'd recommend going for the start of your hunt, as the moose will be in the rut then. It's all about calling at that time of year, so if you can find someone to teach you to call, that would be key. You've already got a nice offer from The Hermit on that score. You can also pick up a moose calling DVD or 2 to learn as well, although that's never as good as an in-person teacher. Don't over call. I've seen my dad call in a nice bull from half a km away or more, just using one cow call, and then breaking a branch each time the bull stopped coming in. Be patient at each set up, staying at each location for at least 1/2 an hour. Sometimes it takes a bull a while to come in. Also, sometimes they come in calling all the way, and other times they will come in silently (especially if it's a younger bull afraid of getting his butt kicked), so keep your eyes peeled. You'll find moose in cutblocks and swamps - especially anywhere that there are a lot of willows, so look for areas like that. Look for wallows and scrapes and call wherever you find them. Hope you have an awesome hunt. Don't forget to post up some pics after the hunt!

bcmulie

BillyBull
06-22-2011, 01:12 PM
Hey 000 you need to get down and see old Hermit... that is the type of offer that young'ens need to grab hold of and if nothin else you can check out Hermit's online store and get dad to spring for some new moose gear.

06-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Hey 000 you need to get down and see old Hermit... that is the type of offer that young'ens need to grab hold of and if nothin else you can check out Hermit's online store and get dad to spring for some new moose gear.

hahahaahahaha,,,,, Sorry :)

Sonof000Buck
06-22-2011, 05:18 PM
Thanks Hermit ! And I just phoned him and he said will do ! And it's

Area M.U Zone Class Of Animal
Kamloops 3-29 A Bull Moose

Darksith
06-22-2011, 05:53 PM
I would be more than happy to take you guys to a few spots, give you the run down etc etc. You have gotten some good advice already, plan for the first 2 weeks of Oct, those are the best times to hunt moose around here. Find low lying areas with lots of willows/swamps, also cutblocks that are fairly recent which will have a lot of feed. Be at a spot before light, call ever 15 mins or so, don't be afraid to change spots if nothing comes out. You have a great MU, and an ideal time to hunt. You should have no problem filling your tag. If you want any help feel free to PM me, I'll do what I can to help you out. We have a group draw for 3-29B for the same time, could be fun. I also know a butcher really well and can get you a spot in his cooler if you need it. Good luck, you shouldn't need too much of it though. Congrats

Caveman
06-22-2011, 08:50 PM
Haven't hunted moose in 29a for years, but the Red Lake area was always productive. Lots of lakes, swamps cut blocks in the area. Camping is easy depending on your needs.

Jelvis
06-22-2011, 09:19 PM
Mu 3-29A is from Tsinsunko creek down to the bottom of 3-29 so Tsinsunko is the farthest to the top you can hunt bull moose with a 3-29A.
This is sweet area to hunt moose, early morning be out there driving by a swamp or calling by a moose marsh, Whaaaaaaaugg whaaaaaaaug whaaaaaaaaug, or use the classic MJB Coffee Can and rawhide show lace.
Be by water sources and meadows with long yellow marsh grass and you'll see the bull moose with a cow and a yearling so be ready, practice shooting at the range.
Jelly Copter if it's your first bull moose, be ready to see a huge animal.
You can access from Tranquille valley or from the Kamloops north shore up behind Batchelor on the LacDubois road. Two Vays if your coming up Number 1 Hwy can go through Deadman Valley to Criss Creek road and cut up to Tsinsunko area but stay below the creek itself it's the northern boundary for your leh. Use maps.

Jelvis
06-22-2011, 09:45 PM
Deadman Creek Road @ 11 k west of Savona, a north running road leaves Hwy 1, passing through Indian Land for 12km. About 17 k from the Hwy 1 it crosses Criss Creek where a logging road runs back into the same country I mentioned b4.
Jelly "Doh" Nut.

.330 Dakota
06-22-2011, 10:51 PM
Now this is a good thread, lots of help for the young lad and no bitchin, way to go guys...

buckhunter
06-22-2011, 11:26 PM
Now this is a good thread, lots of help for the young lad and no bitchin, way to go guys...
the way it should be. experienced hunters helping up and coming new hunters. hats off to you guys!

hunter1947
06-23-2011, 02:48 AM
Haven't hunted moose in 29a for years, but the Red Lake area was always productive. Lots of lakes, swamps cut blocks in the area. Camping is easy depending on your needs.

I agree x2 this is a good area to hunt for your moose.

M.Dean
06-23-2011, 08:32 AM
3-29-A? I checked my Maps and not real sure where the boundary is, but if your going to hunt around the Red Lake area, maybe talk to Big Fish Canada, he's got some real good cabins up there you can rent, it sure makes a week in the bush more fun than sleeping in a Tent! Also, another area to think about is the Jamesion Creek Road, it's just North of Westsyde, a Suburb of Kamloops and the Moose Hunting is fantastic! I'll try and find out exactly where 29 A starts and stops up there, but there's lots of Lakes and swamp area's,and a Moose Draw for that area is as close to a gift as you can get! That area has been some of the best Moose Hunting in the Interior for years, and with the Spike Fork Laws of recent there lots of big Bulls running around, just waiting to adorn your dinner table! If possible maybe post where you guys are planning to go and some of us can see if we can help you out a bit! Good Luck!!!

Spy
06-23-2011, 09:25 AM
Tell your old man that he should bring you to meet me for juice/coffee.. I'm no expert but I'll share what I know and teach you to call.

Seeing as though you are putting on a calling clinic can I come join in!:mrgreen::-D:mrgreen:

06-23-2011, 10:19 AM
Seeing as though you are putting on a calling clinic can I come join in!:mrgreen::-D:mrgreen:

Calling is easy. Trouble is you have to practice in the bush because you sound like an idiot!

Big thing is to stick with it and not over do it. Call every 10 min no more no less. Get to your spot way before light and start calling when it is legal to shoot. This gives the bush time to settle down. Stay in the same place untill 10-11am. Dont call then walk then call. You need to make the bull come to you, if you keep wallking he may give up. I cow call right up till the end. This way you get all the bulls to come. If you Bull call and rake the bush etc you may scare a 30"er away. But cow call and you get to look at them all. Use the bull grunt to get a big bull to run right to you if he wont get in side 100 yds.

pick small cuts with a swamp or river and old growth close by somewhere you can imagine a moose feeling comfortable coming into.

as for the sound of the call, there is a few different cow call sounds but you cant type them out! Get a DVD for that.

Dru.

Weatherby Fan
06-23-2011, 10:45 AM

Not only that but hats off to the young fellow for asking,HBC is full of great people,nice to see !
WF

markt308
06-23-2011, 01:48 PM
Hey buddy
as far as calling moose check out this website. Has a few good videos that will help you understand the basics. good luck. http://www.moosecaller.ca (http://www.moosecaller.ca/)

000buck
06-23-2011, 07:46 PM
old buck just saying thanks guys! The boy's juiced up like hes goin tomorrow. guess we both have much to learn but should be the greatest of father son experiances. would like to meet up with a few of the kamloops members get to know who were talking with and i will be with him in kamloops in august so lets meet up at a local restaurant if your intrested pm me

Caveman
06-23-2011, 10:51 PM
old buck just saying thanks guys! The boy's juiced up like hes goin tomorrow. guess we both have much to learn but should be the greatest of father son experiances. would like to meet up with a few of the kamloops members get to know who were talking with and i will be with him in kamloops in august so lets meet up at a local restaurant if your intrested pm me

I'd be happy to sit down with you guys and go over some techniques and maps and do what I can to help

Brian011
06-23-2011, 11:04 PM
Search YouTube for moose calling videos

muleyman
06-24-2011, 09:48 AM
Go the first week of October use calling watch the cuts drive the logging roads boys will be searching for girls P.S it is a good area.

antileno
06-24-2011, 09:52 AM
Great thread guys lots of good info, good luck to you guys 000 i got my first moose draw this year also hopefully we both we be back sharing photos after hunting season!

swampthing
06-24-2011, 03:13 PM
You got a good draw. Make a good camp and hunt hunt hunt. Road hunting and hiking cut blocks that you can see into a bit will be productive. Try some calling. I know a friend that "burped" and brought a moose in. Any old similar noise will work. Make sure you get some practise shootin in. Enjoy your hunt.

Bullofthebush
06-25-2011, 04:14 PM
There are some nice moose up noble creek road less than 10 minutes from Kamloops on the west side. Around the back side of the second lake there is a couple of maturing cut blocks. Spend some time on the cut blocks early morning and late afternoon and call if you know how and you will probably bag a moose

willyqbc
06-25-2011, 07:26 PM
Well it all depends on what kind of hunt you want......do you just want to shoot a moose for meat and don't care how exciting it is, or do you want a memorable hunting "experience"?? If you want a great fun experience, calling one in is no doubt the way to go. Sounds like a fair bit of logging in your area so start studying your maps for water surrounded by cover, surrounded by feed (cutblocks). If you can find a nice pocket like that you will be fine. If you just want to shoot a moose as quick and easy as possible....pound the logging roads checking out block after block, spend as little time as possible in camp as you can, that time of year the moose will be moving all day and more often than not you will catch a bull with his pants down crossing a block looking for ladies. Both ways will work like gangbusters.....just depends on what you want from your hunt! Good luck!

Chris