PDA

View Full Version : My LEH screw-up

BowsUp
06-22-2011, 11:55 AM
Just got off the phone with the LEH folks. I entered the wrong hunt code and got drawn. So very dumb.

Instead of 6-1 bull I am headed for 7-14 cow calf. Anyone have any thoughts on the area ? Logged massively or ?

It sure looks close to Prince George and Vanderhoof . At this point I am thinking of finding a lake /swamp that is as hard to get to as possible and opening a beer and burger stand.

So fracking dumb.

Tenacious Billy
06-22-2011, 12:04 PM
Just got off the phone with the LEH folks. I entered the wrong hunt code and got drawn. So very dumb.

Instead of 6-1 bull I am headed for 7-14 cow calf. Anyone have any thoughts on the area ? Logged massively or ?

It sure looks close to Prince George and Vanderhoof . At this point I am thinking of finding a lake /swamp that is as hard to get to as possible and opening a beer and burger stand.

So fracking dumb.

Plenty of cut blocks, new and old and lots of moose, but be prepared to contend with lots of people as well....;) Road hunters a plenty that time of year!! Good luck!!

todbartell
06-22-2011, 01:19 PM
try to go during the week, there will be less guys out in the bush. Should be no shortage of moose if you get away from the crowds

Sitkaspruce
06-22-2011, 08:03 PM
Plus doe deer if closer than 2 k from private land and in some areas of 14 that's easy to find, plus lots of moose. PM me if you want some info.

Cheers

SS

moosecaller
06-22-2011, 08:48 PM
You could have done a lot worse, there are lots of moose in the area. PM for some help. I think your chances are somewhat better than what you put in for, but may not be the time you were ready to travel or it's a bit further nevertheless it's a fine spot to hunt if you have the time.

moosinaround
06-23-2011, 07:02 AM

So fracking dumb.
So you got my draw!!!!

06-23-2011, 08:06 AM
I hate it when that happens!
never fill out your LEH after a few beers,,,,, Got a little confusing a couple years ago when i descovered i was to be 200km from where i wanted to be!

It does spawn the greatest adventure though, I hope you do well!

barry1974w
06-23-2011, 11:09 AM
Good area, lots of moose. Also lots of people, but you shouldn't have any problem filling a cow tag.

Riverratz
06-23-2011, 02:32 PM
Excellent zone - lots of moose. If you can't find or see moose out there, you've got your eyes closed or your blinders on.
Good access by truck via Ft. St. James or PG, lots of good quad'ing, lots of small lakes, ponds, creeks, swamps, etc.
Weekends can be busy on the mainlines with 'day-tripping' road hunters and wood cutters. Cow/calf season is definitely busier with lots of roadies, the weekend is a good time to spend on camp chores, R&R, etc.
Watch for logging traffic (loaded log trucks and low-beds with equipment) on weekdays on the main lines; get onto the secondaries and out into the blocks and you have thousands of sq. km.'s to hunt where you will find little hunter activity. Closely study the bush lines around the blocks early morning and in the early evening right up to dark. The best blocks are those that have re-gen (new growth) about 3 - 5 ft. high. Moose love red willow.

Some areas of 7-14 are busier/more popular than others. The easier the road is, the more traffic you will see. This especially applies to the large lake areas where there are forestry camp sites, etc., these are good areas to avoid unless you like lots of people activity and wild camps.

Anywhere there is water/swamps, etc. is good. Check around those areas closely for fresher sign, if nothing, move on and search some more. Once you locate fresh sign concentrate on that general area and you will score. They never wander that far away.
There has been massive pine-beetle logging out there over the past 7-8 years, but the result is excellent moose habitat with all the re-gen.
Study GoogleEarth, it is actually fairly accurate with the logging block locations and roads.

Depending on where you base camp, FSJ or PG are a short 30-45 min. drive for supplies, fuel, etc.

I suggest you get into the area several days before 'opening day' to secure a decent campsite and familiarize yourself with the country.

A cow/calf LEH is pretty much a "gimme", and "immies" are open as well, so who knows? There are deer (mostly mulies), lots of Black Bears, and Grizzly sightings/sign is not uncommon. Lots of grouse last year, could be less this year with the long cooler spring we've had.

You'll have a successful hunt........good luck.

BowsUp
06-23-2011, 07:51 PM
Thanks to all for the moral support. I still can't believe I was that fracking dumb. Know 6-1 somewhat, so maybe it was the hunt gods telling me to move on.

Moosinaround Sorry I took your draw. 835 Glad to hear I am not alone. Sadly, I hadn't been drinking, so no excuse. Appreciate the info and offers by others. Hunted moose before but Riverratz' post is a short and sweet primer.

I got drawn and others didn't. How bad can it be ? The adventure begins.

Beer stand on a mainline during weekends ? Hmmm....