PDA

View Full Version : Two Quick Tips for Target Archers.

Bow Walker
06-22-2011, 10:35 AM
1. How to tighten field tips that come loose and rattle on the arrow....
http://www.bowtuningtips.com/files/html_pages/htmlplayers/waxtiptip.html

2. How to repair plastic fletching that curdles and gets bent after a lot of use - but the fletching isn't torn or otherwise ripped....
http://www.bowtuningtips.com/files/html_pages/htmlplayers/fletchfix.html

This guy's videos are worth watching and taking to heart. He knows his stuff and can get it across in a way that is easily understandable.

BiG Boar
06-22-2011, 01:18 PM
Great tips, pretty neat how to straighten the fleching. Its because plastic has a memory and heat will bring the memory back to where it originally set. Works on all kinds of plastics, if ever something is out of shape, just give it some heat and it will go back to its original shape.

How do you find more of this guys videos?

jrjonesy
06-22-2011, 01:29 PM
His sight is bowtuningtips.com

Good videos.

Bow Walker
06-22-2011, 05:33 PM
I haven't got the link, but if you go to U-Tube and "search" for archery tips and then find this guy (he's hard to miss) just add him to your favorites.

He's worth the effort.

Bow Walker
06-23-2011, 08:37 AM
OK, so I went to U-tube and followed my own advice. Typed in "archery tuning tips" in the search box.

The guy's name on You tube is "grttaxi". His video's are about the best ones that I've seen. His real name is Kenny Parson.

Here's the site link.
http://www.youtube.com/user/grttaxi

markt308
06-23-2011, 04:43 PM
thanks for the vids. Great fletching tip, and even better surprise pony tail at the end!

Mike26
06-25-2011, 07:57 AM
why did his "wireless" mic have a wire on it?

huntwriter
06-25-2011, 09:03 AM
why did his "wireless" mic have a wire on it?

The wireless microphone is a unit consisting of the mic and and a box called "pack", which is an antenna that transmits the signal wireless to the camera mounted sound receiver. The microphone is clipped on to the short near the head of the speaker and the pack, the size of small wallet can be carried in the back pocket of your pants or clipped on to the belt.

Neat tips on field point and vanes but nothing new. I show these and many other quick fixes all the time at my bowhunting courses.

Bow Walker
06-25-2011, 10:28 AM
Well, they may be "nothing new" for some self-proclaimed gurus, but....

...for many people, especially if they haven't heard of the tip(s) before, they are new. There are a lot of new and/or novice archers starting out in the sport every day. It's to these people that the tips are aimed.

I enjoy helping others - freely - not through any seminars, or courses.

The advice, tips, and tricks that I pass on are most often chosen for their practicality and ease of use. Also they are given with an eye to saving money - which is something that not a lot of us are born with, nor have we acquired a lot.

I just like to offer advice without expectations of recompense.

huntwriter
06-25-2011, 05:01 PM
Well, they may be "nothing new" for some self-proclaimed gurus, but....

...for many people, especially if they haven't heard of the tip(s) before, they are new. There are a lot of new and/or novice archers starting out in the sport every day. It's to these people that the tips are aimed.

I enjoy helping others - freely - not through any seminars, or courses.

The advice, tips, and tricks that I pass on are most often chosen for their practicality and ease of use. Also they are given with an eye to saving money - which is something that not a lot of us are born with, nor have we acquired a lot.

I just like to offer advice without expectations of recompense.

Why do you get so defensive? BTW I do the same. I give a lot of advice to new hunters, and take them out hunting, without getting financial compensation. It just so happens that I also make living of hunting, not that there is anything wrong with that. Is there? Lighten up.

Bow Walker
06-25-2011, 05:51 PM
I guess it's just the tone of your posts. Your posts (and/or replies) come across as being "above the average person" and almost "condescending" in the way that you phrase them. Maybe, just maybe, I'm reading to much into them?

I'm all about helping people who have questions (if it's within my area of expertise). I want others to enjoy the sport of archery as much as I do.

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
06-26-2011, 10:14 PM
thanks for passing along the tips Bow Walker Some we know some we dont but we all appreciate the time and effort you put in to convey these tidbits of info and promote the archery end and hunting-- shooting in general. even the above average guys can and do learn from you dedication. Mickey

Bow Walker
06-27-2011, 11:16 AM
I'm a guy who loves to tinker. I usually "get right in there" when I take up a hobby, and interest in something, a new job, or start a project. I want do things myself - and to accomplish that I need to know what it is that I'm doing. Hence my constant research and investigation of a subject.

I know for certain that there are a lot of guys out there that are like me. Guys that are interested in the "nuts and bolts" of stuff, guys that want to get their hands dirty, guys that can't leave repairs and tweaks to the "pro-shops", guys that want to save money and get the satisfaction out of doing it your self - but doing it the right way.

So while doing all my research and investigation, I tend to come up with stuff that I want to pass along to "guys like me". I get a huge sense of satisfaction helping others.

Plus - simple tricks and tips that can both save money and possibly make the enjoyment of your chosen hobby even greater are worth passing on. I probably have passed on the tip about heating the wrinkled fletching to get it to straighten before - but it is worth repeating. Someone may not have seen it, or forgotten about it.

huntwriter
06-27-2011, 05:10 PM
I guess it's just the tone of your posts. Your posts (and/or replies) come across as being "above the average person" and almost "condescending" in the way that you phrase them. Maybe, just maybe, I'm reading to much into them?
I am sorry if that is the impression I gave you. Of course I am not "above the average person". I am the same person/hunter as everybody else, with the small exception that I am fortunate to make living of hunting, but that does not make me "above" and it never would enter my mind to even think like that.

I'm all about helping people who have questions (if it's within my area of expertise). I want others to enjoy the sport of archery as much as I do. That makes us the same. :) As I've stated in an earlier post I like the tips you provided. In this times of customer driven hype it is refreshing to see other hunters passing along simple tips and tricks that will improve others success. It just happens so rarely these days that I was surprised, hence my words in the first post "I show these and many other quick fixes all the time at my bowhunting courses." In fact I enjoy seeing that others, like you, don't go for the mantra of buy this, buy that and you will become a better archer/bowhunter.

Come to think of it, perhaps you as a moderator, could make this a "sticky" thread where the experienced archers and bowhunters can pass on such simple tips for the new and less experienced.

Bowzone_Mikey
06-27-2011, 05:58 PM
that is the biggest problem with print ... so much language is lost in text .... I can easily see where someone that doesnt know Othmar would interpret it that way ... but knowing Othmar, I knew he didnt mean it that way ...

Bow Walker
06-28-2011, 08:49 AM
OK - group hug........

Ahhh, that's better.

All is forgiven.

Bowzone_Mikey
06-28-2011, 11:45 AM
OK - group hug........

Ahhh, that's better.

All is forgiven.

uhhh hug yerself .... you are a creepy old man :):)

gunnie2008
06-28-2011, 02:03 PM
I have a Old Onieda screaming eagle. 70lbs 29in draw. I upgraded the limbs n string to 20 strands, shooting newer carbon arrows.
after 3rd shot bows out of tune, I noticed I have stripped timing wheel. ( will have to replace the timing wheel ) wondering what to use to shim the locking star screw on the plastic timing wheel with out it slipping out of tune?. not using Onieda until it gets fixed dont want to break someting else.
Older Martin Lynx as back up (bush wacker).

Bow Walker
07-01-2011, 10:01 AM
Wow, you've got a bit of fixin' ahead of you before you get to hooting again. Delrin washers? Only thing that comes to mind.

My other suggestion would be to take it in to a good pro shop and let then have a go at it.

gunnie2008
07-02-2011, 09:13 PM
Will look into the Derlin Washers. Ordered 2 new timing wheels from Oneida bows. I'll take dinosor to pro shop in Prince george (Northern Trout Outfitters) have them look it over.
Thanks Bow Walker.
Martin Bow will have to do for hooting.