PDA

View Full Version : Picking moose hunting areas via topo maps ?

Kenworth
08-21-2006, 09:02 AM
I am looking at some topos right now trying to pick some spots that could possibly hold moose in later sept. Some are obvious like lakes/ponds, etc, but..

What do the pros look for on a topo map to find potential rutting areas, and or where the cows will be? I am thinking there must be a group of mutiple things/features all in close proximity to each other to qualify? What all would they be?

Feel free to weigh in on what has worked for you.

Jelvis
08-21-2006, 01:14 PM
When looking at Topo's or Softmap, trying to figure out where the bulls and cows are going to be getting it together isn't that difficult if you look for certain criteria, and listen for the proper timing. Breeding begins around sept 15th to oct 20th ok or do you think its a day or two different doesn't matter at this time of looking at topo. Whats important, The Elevation no. uno Why? Think 4000 ft average bottom to 4500 ft max. ok. Now look for wide 100 ft lines to show a wide bench or plateau on the base of a hill. Bingo! Add water, marshes, moose meadows around willow thickets and red osier and your in moose country. Moose come down to that level 4000 ft on a bench with water and cows and bulls meet. Willow Willow Willow Where forests hit wetlands look there too. good map studying to ya, Kenny its worth it. Jel

Ian F.
08-21-2006, 02:19 PM
Imagine six bottles randomly placed on a 1 foot square table. Now think of how you would go from any one corner to another trying to go through the center.

Now look at your topo and do the same thing. Any animal that moves is going to take an easier path that meets it's needs (cover, food, water etc) and those paths will incorporate feeding and resting areas, and in the case of the rut, rutting areas.

The idea is to find pinch points between areas they want to be as they have the highest probabilities. When you get on the ground you can field truth your theories and improve from there. If your moose (or whatever) ecology is week, understand the animal and what it needs and you will be way ahead of the game. The more you relate animals, reality on the ground and topo's, the better you can read the maps in the future.

I would also suggest looking at air photo's or Google earth of potential areas as green on a topo is not very telling.

Very best,

Ian

rollingrock
08-21-2006, 03:44 PM
When looking at Topo's or Softmap, trying to figure out where the bulls and cows are going to be getting it together isn't that difficult if you look for certain criteria, and listen for the proper timing. Breeding begins around sept 15th to oct 20th ok or do you think its a day or two different doesn't matter at this time of looking at topo. Whats important, The Elevation no. uno Why? Think 4000 ft average bottom to 4500 ft max. ok. Now look for wide 100 ft lines to show a wide bench or plateau on the base of a hill. Bingo! Add water, marshes, moose meadows around willow thickets and red osier and your in moose country. Moose come down to that level 4000 ft on a bench with water and cows and bulls meet. Willow Willow Willow Where forests hit wetlands look there too. good map studying to ya, Kenny its worth it. Jel

8) exactly!

Kenworth
08-21-2006, 03:46 PM
good stuff gents.

i like the bottle therory. so lets play with some online topos and see what folks say about how they would aproach a given area. here is an area showing partly manitoba and ontario. i do not hunt there, never have nor will, i just picked an area arbitrarely.

in this topo, my novice arse would first look at the area between the two eskers. what areas would you folks head for first? Or, post your own topo and where you would concentrate your efforts. (pick a vauge spot of course)

http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/tmp/ntdb_mspaserv461115620022618932.gif

Kenworth
08-21-2006, 03:50 PM
i recon it would be proper for me to include the fact that i am hunting areas represenative of the above topo. mountains are a ways from me and i wont be hunting in them this year. but good ideas/points mentioned for them. thank you

Kenworth
08-21-2006, 04:55 PM
I posted a topo earlier and it went through, on my end at least. But now all I see is an X

Anyways, let me try to post the topo once again.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/2874/ntdbmspaserv461115620419729442zj9.gif

Jelvis
08-21-2006, 05:25 PM
Hey Ken get a topo of a B.C. area that is moose country with a good topo lines, that other map is flat plains stuff. Try area 3:30 or 5:1 something like that and then a guy can work it for moose places just my opinion tho.

rollingrock
08-21-2006, 06:38 PM
enlarge the map to 1:1km scale otherwise you won't be able to tell what the terrain looks like. Sometimes I use 1:500m even.

Kenworth
08-22-2006, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the tips and suggestions guys. I'll try some of those

KW