PDA

View Full Version : cow elk draw 4-06 C, oct 1 - oct 31

Don_Abbate
06-21-2011, 08:01 AM
Hey guys i was fortunate to get this draw i am aware that there is lots of private land in the unit so if anyone has got this draw before or knows the area it would be really great and appreciated if i could get the steps on how to make this cow elk draw a reality i have never been to this area. what do i do to get permission to hunt on private land and is it a difficult task. i really don't want to waste this draw any help will be appreciated thank you everyone and good luck on all of your draws.

NaStY
06-21-2011, 08:37 AM
Well 2 of us had that draw last year. Its a tuff hunt because the animals are still up high and your restrictions dont allow you to hunt up high. You wont need permission to hunt private fields as there is enough public land to hunt....

Download the special area map. Get a special area permit to allow hunting on the flats. Make sure your boots fit well and hunt all day. You might just find one. We didnt and hunted a week.....

Good luck

bigneily
06-21-2011, 09:39 AM
That lower Creston area down toward the border is alot of agriculture land, Might not hurt to knock on a few doors and ask for permission and some questions?That's what i would try, Not saying it would work tho.I know over here in Cranbrook the elk will hold up in thick cover in the river bottoms and come out to feed in the farm fields and the city shit fields just before dark or after , depending on the pressure. I'de look for farms in that zone that are along the river and have thick cover, Start with them first.Good luck Neil

The Dude
06-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Find out the number of the local Cattleman's Association in the area you are hunting and tell them your plans.
I did that in another area of Region four, and they happily gave me three numbers of farmers who complained about losing hay bales to Elk.
They'll welcome you with open arms. Just treat them, and their land with the respect you would show a Mafia Boss with a sore tooth. :-)
We got my buddy's dad a big fat cow that way, and we're welcome back anytime.
El Dude-A-Rino

Don_Abbate
06-21-2011, 07:08 PM
Great info from all of you thanks alot

little moose
06-21-2011, 07:38 PM
we got our elk there last year on private land with permision but it is hard to get because there have been issues with wounded animals running around also one place hade an elk shot about 200 yards from some kids getting on a school bus , they wont let any one hunt on there property now and the elk are there every day

NaStY
06-21-2011, 07:50 PM
we got our elk there last year on private land with permision but it is hard to get because there have been issues with wounded animals running around also one place hade an elk shot about 200 yards from some kids getting on a school bus , they wont let any one hunt on there property now and the elk are there every day

Really where abouts were you hunting? What time of year?

Alpine Addict
06-21-2011, 08:06 PM
MY dad got that draw 3 years ago. We got permission to hunt on private land and basically killed on 2 km from his house. Didn't see much sign on public FSR's. real busy too.

little moose
06-21-2011, 08:14 PM
near the border the farm out toward the river across from dodge cr rd would not give permision and it took some convincing from the farmer on the north side of dodge cr to get permission . we were the last draw in feb and he told us earlyer that year his son put an elk down that some guys wounded for them

NaStY
06-21-2011, 08:18 PM
near the border the farm out toward the river across from dodge cr rd would not give permision and it took some convincing from the farmer on the north side of dodge cr to get permission . we were the last draw in feb and he told us earlyer that year his son put an elk down that some guys wounded for them

Have some friends now that live up there and they all say the same thing. Jan / feb the fields are full of elk.....

little moose
06-21-2011, 08:34 PM
saw on heard of bulls 1-7x7 ,7 6x6 ,16x2 ,4 5x5 and some smaller ones ,50 yards from truck stuck around for at least 5 min and i have a cow draw . over 5 days we saw elk ever day but most of the time out of range ,saw 43 bulls in total and38 cows but only one chance at a shot ,was all we needed . tough hunting in the open!!

Don_Abbate
06-22-2011, 06:12 AM
Do any of you guys know the names of the public fsr's

NaStY
06-22-2011, 08:23 AM
Do any of you guys know the names of the public fsr's

Did you download the area map yet?

NaStY
06-22-2011, 08:27 AM
Try this......

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/docs/elk_1100m_maps/Elk_4-06-C_4-07-C.pdf

300H&H
06-22-2011, 09:54 AM
Find out the number of the local Cattleman's Association in the area you are hunting and tell them your plans.
I did that in another area of Region four, and they happily gave me three numbers of farmers who complained about losing hay bales to Elk.
They'll welcome you with open arms. Just treat them, and their land with the respect you would show a Mafia Boss with a sore tooth. :-)
We got my buddy's dad a big fat cow that way, and we're welcome back anytime.
El Dude-A-Rino

Thanks for that info.
I was drawn for antlerless on 4-03.
I have sent a email to the BCCA and am awaiting a reply.

Glassman
06-23-2011, 08:44 PM
Alice Siding mtn/hill or Dodge Creek fsr, Alice siding is 1st choice.

jtred
06-26-2011, 07:36 AM
I live in the Creston valley. Last year I was drawn for antlerless elk Nov1-30 and was successful. It is difficult to secure permission for private land unless you live in the valley, and by that I mean born here. This will be my 5th year here and I'm slowly starting to get access. However it wouldn't hurt to try, the worst that can happen is they say no. A lot of problems with elk damaging crops and the farmers would like them pushed out, but there has been increasing incidents of trespassing, damage to fields,and just general disrespect from hunters. Makes it more difficult every year to secure access. That said there is a couple of large areas to target which are crown. Probably the largest is the Creston Valley Wildlife Management Area, this is huge wetlands conservation area. You must have a special permit to hunt there which costs 10$ and can be picked up at either the Service BC outlet in town or at the CVWMA visitors center(if it's still open when you come here to hunt). Access is non-motorized so expect to walk or bike and be prepared to get your elk out by muscle power only. I use a canoe to access different areas from up by Duck Lake. A canoe or boat put in the Kootenay river can also get you across into the CVWMA. Lots of ducks and geese also so a shotgun and migratory bird license wouldn't be a bad idea. Another area is Dodge creek FSR, you can hunt 1km up the west side of the valley so get the map and know your boundaries. Arrow mountain (known locally as Goat Mountain) is accessed by Foster rd and does have elk. Depending on the year the later in October you come the better as the elk don't move down lower until snow forces them to. That said however there are elk all over the place you just have to find them. Good luck and enjoy the valley. It's a paradise. I'll be out looking for a cow elk this year again, 2nd year in a row drawn for November. Last years hunt was perfect. I was up Goat mtn with about 16-18" of snow. It had been snowing all night and it was on and off again during the morning. The truck was 3-4km back and down from where I first caught up to a small herd of cows. I tracked them and managed to take a really nice cow (offhand aprox. 150m). After field dressing and skinning I halved the carcass packed it full of snow and went back for the truck and the tobogan(I carry both a game cart and a sled here in Nov.) and managed to sled the elk out to truck in halves. I like hunting with a couple of friends, but there is nothing so satisfying as being successful on your own. Hopefully this years hunt works out so absolutely perfect.

Fisher-Dude
06-26-2011, 10:14 AM
Check out the BCWF "Outdoor Passport Program." Could be some private land opportunities open up for you that normally wouldn't. :wink: