PDA

View Full Version : first bow buck

SHOT44
06-20-2011, 10:44 PM
This is my first post so bear whith me

I have been bowhunting for two seasons, first season i ate tag soup but last year i managed to arrow my first buck, a little two pointer not much to look at but he shure did taste good!

there is a bit of a story to go with the picture so here goes.

Tag soup year i really got to know the area i was hunting, so last summer i started scouting in august, and i was seeing some deer but not many bucks, however i was shure that they were there so I booked the first week of september off to hunt hard for the early bow season.

on the first two days i spotted and stalked several does to within 30 and 40 yards which gave me confidence that if given the chance i could do it on a buck as well.

third morning really early, just light enough to see i spotted a group of 5 mulies about 300 yards out along the treeline of a cutblock feeding across the cut in front of me, and yep there was a buck so i started to slowly make my way along a road towards them they had no idea i was there so it diddn't take long to get in front of them. they fed right up to where i was crouched on the road waiting 4 does and one decent 4 pointer behind them, the buck was hanging back but an the does were right in front of me at about 20 yards. the does were lookin at me and smelling the air, i think that they knew somethig was up but couldn't quite tell what i was. i slowly range the buck at 40 yards, tried to calm my pounding heart and drew my bow, and had to wait about 20 seconds for the buck to turn broadside, setteled my 40 pin behind his shoulder and touched off the release. When the arrow hit it made a huge wwwwaaaak sound and the deer scattered, i watched that buck bolt off down a gully whith my arrow stickig waaay out in his shoulder.........I thought shit shit shit and that sinking terrible feeling washed over me i knew that i had wounded the first animal i had ever shot at with a bow. I called my dad and waited for him to come out and give me a hand trying to track the deer, we searched for the rest of the day, and some of the next but there was hardly any blood and what we did find petered out after about a kilometer. I feel that i did everythig that i could to find that deer but even now thinking about it i still feel a little shitty.

A couple of days after that incident in the same general area around the same time i spotted another group of does and a little two pointer feeding along a finger of trees that came out into a cut so i slowly made my way out to the other sid of that finger and followed them parallell on the other side,( small finger i could see through it)
I got up to the point and watched them come up the other side about 40 yards from me as they got closer i got ready. they fed out into the cut infront of me
towards a large puddle, and once again the does were real close and kind of aware of me but not shure what i was with the buck in behind them. i ranged the little buck at 30 yards and drew my bow but just as i drew he turned and all i could see was his ass so i let down and waited 30 seconds goes by and he turns broadside again so i drew setteled the pin behind his shoulder (a little further back this time) and released. this time the shot was good all the deer scattered and i watched the little buck run about 20 yards and fall over dead. the shot was a full pass through double lung.
//www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/first_bow_buck.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/first_bow_buck.jpg)

hope this season is as good as the last without the big f up

thanks for takin the time to read my story

spear
06-20-2011, 10:58 PM
hey, too bad abot the 4 pointer, risk of archery hunting I assume. nice work on the 2 point though, hooked on archery now?

Ambush
06-21-2011, 06:45 AM
Congratulations, that's a great deer to start your career on.

And this season, you may even get to finish what you started with the four point. You'll be better prepared and he'll be bigger!

jrjonesy
06-21-2011, 08:08 AM
Congrats on your first bow buck! Thanks for posting.

Bow Walker
06-21-2011, 09:29 AM
Nice deer for the freezer and especially nice since you got it with your bow. Not many can say that.

Here ya go...

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/first_bow_buck.jpg

Sonof000Buck
12-26-2011, 02:11 AM
Arre you in the interior ? if so i found him lwith the arrow in him.. no troll all serious

5 spike
12-26-2011, 04:32 AM
Congrats on your first bow buck. Good eatin there.

fearnodeer
12-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Well good post, nice to see your honesty. Good to see you got your first buck with a bow, i bet it will tatse better than any other you have ate to date.

kennyj
12-26-2011, 01:09 PM
Nice early season buck.
kenny

hunterdon
12-26-2011, 01:21 PM
Congrats! Any deer taken with the bow is a great accomplishment. The fact that you did it in only the second year is far better than most.
I like your attitude. Hope you'll always keep that way of thinking.