PDA

View Full Version : moose 5-13 B ??

4pointhunter
08-20-2006, 09:38 PM
anyone familiar with 5 - 13 B, got a moose draw there never hunted quensel before we are staying at fishpot lake resort i hear is in 5 - 13 C, how far a drive is it to area "B" ?
any other tips or advise would be appreciated

thanks

ratherbefishin
08-21-2006, 06:52 AM
fishpot lake is a great place to stay-we were there a couple of years back,had a september draw, [should have put in for the October draw as most of the moose seem to be taken mid October from the stats]But the log cabins are clean and comfortable, wood stoves, and very reasonably priced.Great hosts, too-I'd go back if I got another LEH

willyqbc
08-21-2006, 09:08 AM
I'd stay at fish lake resort instead if i were you, it will put you right in the middle of 5-13B. I don't recall exactly how far out of B Fishpot is but seems to me its something like 1/2 hour. That 1/2 hour will just get you to the boundary and you will be limited as to area to hunt by the distance you want to travel. If you camp over at fish lake you will be able to go any direction you want right out of camp, about 1/2 hour up the road from fish lake you can hit a MAJOR 4 way logging road junction in one direction and in the other direction you will have two major roads to choose from. Either direction will give you spur roads all over the place.

feel free to ask if you have any questions, I am very familiar with 5-13B from Sylvias Cafe back to town...I have never found a need to go farther out than that to get my bull.

Chris

oldtimer
08-21-2006, 09:14 AM
Couldn't agree more with Willy plus you will be farther away from where the fires were as I understand it.

4pointhunter
08-21-2006, 11:15 AM
are there cabins at fish lake or camping water and power hookups, our draw is sept 15 - 30 we are going last week of sept

willyqbc
08-21-2006, 11:23 AM
there is a private resort on the lake with cabins etc, and there is a forestry campsite but it won't have power or water hook-ups

Chris

Jagermeister
08-21-2006, 11:32 AM
Willyqbc forgot to give you the correct name for "Fish Lake" which is Tzenzaicut Lake. The campground coordinates at the west end of the lake are 10U 507798 5834918. Right Chris?

willyqbc
08-21-2006, 12:15 PM
yeah, sorry it is actually Tzenziacut Lake....everyone just calls it fish lake!

Chris

PGKris
08-21-2006, 04:15 PM
Bring a fishing rod....it ain't called "Fish Lake" for no reason!!

MooseNuts
08-21-2006, 05:17 PM
What is the Mulie hunting like in this area? We have a Moose draw in the same area for the first 2 weeks in Oct.

willyqbc
08-22-2006, 12:14 AM
shouldn't be too hard to fill your mulie tag...if your not too picky

Chris

4pointhunter
08-22-2006, 11:53 AM
allright i just reserved cabin #3 at tzenziacut lake resort makes alot more sence to be right in our area thanks alot for the help.

elkster
08-22-2006, 01:16 PM
anyone familiar with 5 - 13 B, got a moose draw there never hunted quensel before we are staying at fishpot lake resort i hear is in 5 - 13 C, how far a drive is it to area "B" ?
any other tips or advise would be appreciated

thanks
I had a draw in 5-13b a few years ago and we stayed at fishpot lake cause two of the guys had 5-13c. It was good for them, but not as good for me. Its at least 1/2 hr to the boundry, and that gets you on to honolulu rd. but there is so much more area if you stay at fish lake. been there and did it.:-D

BlacktailStalker
08-22-2006, 04:29 PM
I saw a few pics of whitetails on the Fishpot lake photo album. Many around? Also, there is a Caribou 5 pt bull opening in 5-12, any specifics for that ? Hows the elk hunting in 7-2 - 7-18 incase our moose hunt goes well quickly :):) Oh yeah I forgot 4pointhunter and I are going on this hunt together with a few other guys so thats why I am asking. We are staying at the other lake closer to our area now. Thanks!

willyqbc
08-23-2006, 12:30 AM
when do you boys plan on being up here? Let me know...might be able to put you on a good area or two.

Chris

4pointhunter
08-23-2006, 12:50 AM
we are planning on leaving the island on sept 22 and staying up there till around the 30th never hunted the area so pointing us in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

3kills
08-23-2006, 07:50 AM
good area for a moose draw...i would say though u should have went for a later draw cuz its much easier to fill i had the same draw as u did a few years ago and got skunk for moose did get a nice lil buck that was dam good eatin though...good luck on ur hunt....

BlacktailStalker
08-23-2006, 09:41 AM
Willyqbc; Thats a mighty nice offer ! We're there sept.22-30.

willyqbc
08-23-2006, 12:21 PM
23rd would probably work well for me we can hook up and go for a cruise. Give you a general idea of some good areas to try for the week, shoot me a PM and we can exchange email addy's and such.

Chris

oldtimer
08-23-2006, 05:24 PM
Blacktail -If you need some more help after WillyQ gives you directions let me know cuz I am off the week your here and can help you pack out or recommend a good locker. Mike

Mr. Dean
08-24-2006, 12:08 AM
I gotta say.............WOW! Some good fella's up there.

Kudo's - Dean.

4pointhunter
08-24-2006, 12:55 AM
I gotta say.............WOW! Some good fella's up there.

Kudo's - Dean.

i couldn't agree more, wasn't expeting this kinda responce, sounds great oldtimer :)
thanks alot
chris

3kills
08-24-2006, 06:43 AM
chris and mike are both a couple of great guys....even though i have never actaully got to meet mike in person cuz everytime i go to meet him he is gone already....but they are great guys....

farside
08-24-2006, 09:16 PM
We also have a draw for 5-13B but we are heading up for the mid Oct opening. Plan on being there around the 10th to look around and maybe shoot a mulie. We also have previously stayed at Fishpot lake. Love the place. New owners as of last year I believe. This yr we have a new trailer so will be parking where ever. I can hardly wait. Anybody else up there during Oct 10 to 31??

4pointhunter
09-14-2006, 10:03 PM
i have never tryed calling in moose before i would like to try it on this trip sept 22-30. What call would you guys reccomend for me to buy?
i understand this is the start of the rut is it a good time to try calling?
and is it worth wile to try hunting tezenicuit lake from a boat?

thanks alot

Ozone
09-14-2006, 10:49 PM
Here moosie, moosie, moosie:lol:

Sorry I couldnt resist.

lip_ripper00
09-14-2006, 11:06 PM
take one large juice can remove top. Punch a small hole in the center take a large cotton skate lace knot it thread it through the hole (from the inside out) wet the lace grasp fermly between thumb and fore finger pull. Practice untill you can get a smooth bawl. Sounds hokey I know, BUT It works...:smile:

jessbennett
09-15-2006, 06:54 AM
also, you can find different various websites on the net that have recordings of the different animal calls. get a birch bark call and imitate it and bractice. about that time, you should be able to call them out with a chainsaw though.......:twisted: :lol: :lol:

abbyfireguy
09-15-2006, 09:04 AM
Be careful if you are in the rut when calling...Got a few bruisers out to my calls last year and my son was looking for somewhere to hide..They were pissed off royally when they finally came out into the clearing...
Very exciting and somewhat scarey for those with me who didn't guite understand when I said how enraged some bulls get when they think an interloper is calling out their cows.....
My son got a whole lot more respect for his "dumb old Dad" that day..
He made me promise not to tell anyone how scared he was for a few seconds..:lol:

willyqbc
09-15-2006, 04:31 PM
is it worth wile to try hunting tezenicuit lake from a boat?

There is a great swampy area that runs for a long, long ways starting at the far end of the lake. I don't know if i would actually hunt the lake but boating to the far end and walking/calling from there would not be a bad plan.

Chris

willyqbc
09-15-2006, 09:10 PM
too bad you boys weren't up allready...saw two bulls together in the same block tonight....tried to lasso them to a tree for ya but they were too quick for me:lol:

Chris

BlacktailStalker
09-15-2006, 09:25 PM
Maybe shoot em with a tracking device for us eh? We'll be up friday. I'll be pm'ing you before then to maybe take you up on that offer, local knowledge is worth its weight in gold and it'd be good to meet a few of the names to put faces to em! Maybe we can make a deer hunt out of it too if you guys havent already tagged out. And Oldtimer as well.

Wildman
09-16-2006, 07:53 AM
I'm interested to see how you guys do (4pointhunter, Moosenuts and BlacktailStalker). My buddies and I all have a LEH draw in 5-13C at the start of November. We will be going after Mulies too....
How about you Chris, have you been to 5-13C this year yet? We ended up getting a cabin out on Tietown Lake.

willyqbc
09-16-2006, 09:22 AM
Sorry Vadim, haven't spent any time out in 5-13C this year. We always put in for 5-13B for moose and my deer hunting is done closer to the river or south of town so I don't have much reason to head that far out.

Blacktail.....offer still stands, I'm keeping the week-end open for ya.

Chris

4pointhunter
09-19-2006, 01:07 AM
thanks alot chris hopefully those 2 bulls are still around somewhere, just wondering would it be worth wile to buy a whitetail tag for 5-13b

willyqbc
09-19-2006, 07:49 AM
the only areas I have seen any whitetails in 5-13B have been out on the backwater road which is a considerable distance from where you are camped. While we're on that topic the moose I have been seeing have all been down lower...might require a half hour drive in the mornings if the area around the lake is not producing.....good thing is every km of it could produce a moose for ya. What method of hunting do you guys plan on doing? are you willing to take your truck through some rough roads? And how much work are you willing to do after the moose is down. Reason i ask is honestly, with the dry weather things are going to be tough for you guys right now....things have been pretty slow lately. I do have a couple spots that I think will produce for you but they may require some heavy labour getting them out. Let me know what your thoughts are so i can figure out what areas we need to start looking.

Talk to you soon
Chris

oldtimer
09-19-2006, 08:31 AM
I think WillyQ meant the Blackwater road. Only whities I have seen this year are south.
We have had thundershowers and rain the last 2 days so things could change up here. Mike

BlacktailStalker
09-19-2006, 10:28 AM
There's 6 of us going, personally I like to be in the bush as much as possible. Never been a road hunter but if the moose arent around in numbers I'll put the km's up to find one, on foot or on my truck. A long pack is fine with me and for my brother this is his forst moose trip so he'll just get broken in the proper way then, he's a rig boy anyways so he's tough as nails. I was wondering about those whitetails too, thanks for clearing that up. I played around with calls in Vanderhoof last year with no success but the moose were far and few between. What methods do you favour up there, spot and stalk, calling, pushes, stand hunting?
Maybe the non stop rain down here will follow us up there and get things going a bit.
Distance isnt an issue to put an animal down, a lot of the hunts I do here are a 1-3 hour drive/hike away just to get to a favoured area, so a half hour drive isnt an issue at all.
Another question, how far does a guy need to go to get into trophy mulie possibilities?

Thanks, gettin real close now!!!

willyqbc
09-19-2006, 10:53 AM
thats all good to hear blacktail...that attitude is gonna open up the possibilities for ya. You can find trophy mulies anywhere in the are you will be hunting....many good bucks come from all over out there every year. As far as moose method goes when moose numbers/sightings are high...power road hunting looking at as many blocks as possible is usually most effective. right now i would say you're gonna need to get back into the bush/swamps etc with them....I've got a couple mostly hidden sweet spots tucked away that will work well for that (as long as fresh logging hasn't opened them up). If you have hip waders it might not be a bad idea to bring em....never know where you may need to retrieve from!!:lol:

talk to you soon
Chris

4pointhunter
09-19-2006, 11:14 AM
yeah we have enough guys haulin moose out shouldn't be too bad, just wondering what about quads are you not allowed to ride at all or just not hunt or pack moose with them?

willyqbc
09-19-2006, 11:18 AM
cannot use a quad fr anything hunting related out there.....if you are quading into an area to hunt and have your gun....its illegal....one of the few areas of the province that is still completely quad restricted for hunting.

Chris

farside
09-19-2006, 12:29 PM
Keep your eyes on the lookout for us as we will be up that way (5-13B) Oct 11 to 24. Looking for mulies and to fill our Moose tag (oct 15 - 31). I can hardly wait.