PDA

View Full Version : Leaving your boat while sheep hunting

ryanb
06-20-2011, 04:15 PM
How does everyone that does so feel about leaving their riverboat unattended for extended periods of time while sheep hunting, like say 10-14 days? Any precautions to take beyond the obvious measures against flooding? I was thinking of winching the boat right up a bank to avoid it being destroyed/swept away in the event of massive flooding while away. Of course then there are the human hazards, but these are obviously harder to guard against??

Thanks for the tips,
Ryan

frenchbar
06-20-2011, 04:19 PM
I sure wouldnt leave a 30 to 50 Grand boat unattended for any length of time....chances would be pretty good it would be gone by the time you got back....

LOC
06-20-2011, 04:37 PM
I'd be happy to boat-sit :)

I don't own a boat, but would think it's a lot like leaving your truck at the trail head for a long period of time, but with a less chance of a yahoo finding....

ROEBUCK
06-20-2011, 05:21 PM
I sure wouldnt leave a 30 to 50 Grand boat unattended for any length of time....chances would be pretty good it would be gone by the time you got back....

X2 unless you have very good insurance

frenchbar
06-20-2011, 05:34 PM
X2 unless you have very good insurance thats true ..but sure would be a trip from hell if your boat was gone when you got back .

hillclimber
06-20-2011, 05:41 PM
thats true ..but sure would be a trip from hell if your boat was gone when you got back .

hopefully its all downstream to get home and you can just build a raft

Bowzone_Mikey
06-20-2011, 05:47 PM
How is it any differant than leaving your truck parked somewhere for a few days while you hike in??? you have got to take precautions against the Nature element of course ..... secure your boat properly and there wont be a problem

seriously ... I suspect you have more chance of your boat being messed with while moored in the harbour than you would out in the back country

pse&remington
06-20-2011, 05:57 PM
put a couple of TRAIL CAMERAS near by

eric
06-20-2011, 05:58 PM
http://www.firefish.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=810

Check this out.........
Need to worry about the vehicles more then the boats.

Hope the link works

pse&remington
06-20-2011, 06:06 PM
come to my camp and remember im always watching you, always!

.330 Dakota
06-20-2011, 06:52 PM
I heard somewhere you can get a flame thrower kit for your truck, cooks anybody that approaches it...hhhhhmmm

goatdancer
06-20-2011, 07:11 PM
I don't think there are too many shitrats running up the rivers in expensive jet boats. A lot more potential for problems along a road.

Deaddog
06-20-2011, 07:12 PM
pull it up on shore and tie it up tight, In all my time in the bush (anywhere trucks can't get to) I have never seen or even heard of someone having a problem with their boat...way more risk leaving it in town, hooked to your truck for the night

ThinAir
06-20-2011, 09:28 PM
I left mine for a few days at a time before... always brought it up on shore. I never worried about theft, but you do worry when it rains for 3 days straight!

SHACK
06-21-2011, 07:54 PM
wouldnt worry about it. Like it was said earlier, there is not to many shit rats running up them rivers in expensive boats, burning excessive fuel, looking to screw ya over. In all reality, I think most people realise that they could be handing someone a death warrant by messing with a boat, and they could be signing thier own if caught!
I would worry more about mother nature!
Secure it, and tarp it. I say tarp it, so you can have your auto bilges working should some water find its way into the bilge, but keeping most rain etc out so you dont kill your batteries!

elkeater
06-21-2011, 08:29 PM
maybe take your spark plugs with you as well

Coming_out_heavy.
06-21-2011, 09:21 PM
How bad do you want a ram? Take the chance. Protect yourself from the river (drag it on shore), but you cant control whether or not a douche messes with your boat.

bridger
06-21-2011, 09:44 PM
as others have posted I never feel uncomfortable about leaving my boat for fear some one is going to steal it or vandalize it. guys on the river for the most part are great and would not think about ravinging your boat. the greater risk is not having it secured, your boat filling with water because it leaks and the bilge pumps don't work, battery being run down etc. all things you can control with good planning. get a plan and go have fun and not to worry.

MattW
06-21-2011, 09:51 PM
I'd be more concerned about the pick-up you left at the launch, lot more people can get at that. That said we've never had any issues with leaving the boat or the truck.

yugo111
06-22-2011, 12:17 AM
we have left our boats while sheep hunting and never had anything go wrong, plus for a 30pack off beer the other camps were def happy to check up on out boat lol

Movingdirt
06-22-2011, 06:55 AM
I would never dream of leaving my truck or boat anywhere, ever. They are much too expensive. I leave them in the heated, humidity controlled garage and admire them but never dare use them for fear of getting dirt or a scratch on them. Heaven forbid that they were stolen or vandalized. My life would be ruined.

Iron Glove
06-22-2011, 09:26 AM
I'm in the Marine Insurance business and can say with out a doubt that you have a much, much greater chance of having your jet boat swiped from your drive way than you have when it's beached 100 miles from civilization.
In 40 years, I've yet to see one taken while beached in a remote area.
Now, boat trailers and trucks left for a few hours at some Fraser River launches, that's a whole 'nuther story. :)

emerson
06-22-2011, 12:29 PM
If leaving your boat without supervision doesn't work for you, look for an older friend or relative that would like to escape for a while. They can camp and watch the boat while you run wild on the mountain.

swampthing
06-22-2011, 06:28 PM
How does that saying go? Bad rivers bring good people?

ryanb
06-22-2011, 08:04 PM
I like the last comment. It's more or less what I expected, just wanted to hear from some that have done so in the past. Like everyone else said, I'm more worried about mother nature than shit rats, but will take plenty of precautions.

Riverratz
06-22-2011, 11:36 PM
Have never had any problems on any of the northern rivers so far. I worry more about the truck back at the launch than I do about the boat.
Anyone and everyone we have ever met or talked to on the rivers up north are great people. Unwritten law on the rivers that everyone seems to look out for everyone else. Stopped on the Muskwa for a shore lunch one year, nine boats went past heading up or down, each and every one of them stopped long enough to ask if we were OK.
We have had total strangers pull in to our camp and ask if they could stash fuel with us, which we have done........demonstrates the confidence level and trust river boaters have for each other. Not saying it isn't possible, but I seriously doubt you have to worry about something happening to your boat, other than nature induced misadventure.
Like I said, I worry more about the truck and trailer. I yank some key computer components out so it won't run, but that doesn't stop vandalism, which thankfully so far has not happened.
Everything has risk attached..........make your plans and go for it. Expect the best, and prepare for the worst. Have a great trip.

bcyukonair
06-23-2011, 06:57 AM
on the lower turnagain the fn love beer if you leave it

Rock Doctor
06-23-2011, 09:09 AM
How does everyone that does so feel about leaving their riverboat unattended for extended periods of time while sheep hunting, like say 10-14 days? Any precautions to take beyond the obvious measures against flooding? I was thinking of winching the boat right up a bank to avoid it being destroyed/swept away in the event of massive flooding while away. Of course then there are the human hazards, but these are obviously harder to guard against??

Thanks for the tips,
Ryan

No Problem, Throw a couple logs down and drive on to them, or if the bank has "head sized" rocks, just drive onto them. In the fall, just getting the boat above the water line is normally enough. Tie it with 2 ropes to different trees (I had a Beaver chew down the tree I was tied to once). The more extensive you get in laying the boat up, just makes it more obvious that you are gone for a long time. I just run up on shore, grab my gear and go. Leave the key in it, you'll just loose it anyway, and starting a SJ without the key takes about 20sec longer than with the key.
Throwing Mothballs around the boat will keep bears from investigating your interior too closely. The old "tried and true" note on the dash that says "I CAN SEE YOU", does in fact work to some degree.
I have yet to see or hear of a boat getting vandalized or stolen on the rivers around here, but anything can happen I guess, you would be far more likely to come back to some mising gas than anything. If you do leave a bilge pump on AUTO, I recommend that you have a spare battery, or booster pack that is not in the loop, while your gone, it doesn't take much to stick a pump on and kill your battery.
Setting a tarp up in the trees, just within sight of boats running by, will give the impression that you are camped right there.

RD

Rock Doctor
06-23-2011, 09:11 AM
on the lower turnagain the fn love beer if you leave it

Just don't get caught.........It's against the law to bait 'em.

RD

BCRiverBoater
07-05-2011, 09:47 PM
Do not worry what so ever. I have left my boat numerous times. The people on the river will treat it with respect. It is not like a vehicle. Just make sure you park it right and secure it properly. Drive it up on the gravel or trees so that it is not able to sink down at all if rain comes with bilge problems. I pull it into the shallows and double tie it. Two separate ropes to two separate tie off points. I unhook one battery if you do not have a switch so you can start it. I take a booster pack if I am the only boat. No worries at all!!!

RayHill
07-05-2011, 10:12 PM
Y not get dropped off and let your friend take your boat home, when your done your hunt get him to pick you up. That is the option that will work the best. Buy a SPOT and you will be set. Only 250 dollars and worth every penny. Peace of mind in more then one way too. Your truck will be safe too, not parked at the launch.

Allen50
07-05-2011, 10:30 PM
all i have to say is it is crap you can not leave your boat, truck, tent, etc, out in the woods, one thing this is your way home, if something happens, and the other thing do these dumb ass"s know your also packing, and how do they know your not sitting waiting to see if some one is a trus dumb ass, yea there out there, had some when mule deer hunting once, they got mad when i was walking a road, that dead ended, and they wanted to drive past, i asked them to go other places, they said that your camp down the hill, yep it was, and they left, they had to go quit aways to get to it but i could see it right from the hill top 200 hundred yeards out, oh i was waiting to see what they were going to do, they parked by the camp and sat there for about 5min, i waited for a door to open, but they decided to drive off, ran into them later, said good thing you drove off from my camp they asked why all i said was good choise, i did report them with lic number when i got back to town,, so yea do they know where you are, while hunting,,,,,,,, just down right sad you can not leave your stuff out on its owne while hunting....