PDA

View Full Version : Eberlestock Packs.

springpin
06-20-2011, 03:57 PM
I've been looking around for quite sometime for a new Hunting pack. Now it seems it's time to bite the bullet(goat draw). I've got it narrowed down to 2 packs. The J107 Dragon fly, and the JP9 Blue widow. I've played around with the Dragon fly, and seems like a solid pack. But the Blue widow, I have not. So i'm looking for some personal experiences with both packs. What you like and don't like about them, type thing.

swampthing
06-20-2011, 09:11 PM
I have the 107 and really like it. I find it is very well laid out and it fits me well. I packed a very good goat out in it last year. I was able to carry the boned out meat, head and cape and the gear I had carried in for an overnighter in one trip. This pack is quite versatile. I carry mine when I leave the truck for an hour. You can make it smaller or larger. The gun scabbord is one of my favorite things on this pack. I bought my son one last xmas for his first backpack hunt this year. The superspike duffel is a must have to increase the size. I have their rain cover, hydo bladder and a couple hip pockets added to mine. The downsides I have found about this pack are easy to tolerate. When you have a gun in the scabbord, you cant sit on the ground. You need a stump or have to sit on your side. When you add gear to the spike duffel, it shifts weight away from your body. Carefull weight distribution offsets this somewhat. Put the meat close to your bag and your light items away from you on the outside. This pack isnt huge but it works. As for goat hunting, it fits tight enough to you that it doesnt get caught on too much stuff as you hike. I am a fan.

springpin
06-21-2011, 05:11 AM
Thanks Swampthing for the reply, great info.

nature girl
06-21-2011, 05:47 PM
My boyfriend has a eberlestock j34 just one. Last year he shot a goat and had his gun in the scabbard in the backpack. Coming down the steep rocks the gun was hitting the rocks and pushing him forward. Making him almost loose his balance a few times. Other then that its awesome for alpine and stuff like that. Climbing going up is okay coming down was the problem. Plus the gun sticking up hooks on to the branches to. My bofriend is 6' tall. He says it's a comfortable backpack..

kayjayess
06-23-2011, 07:42 PM
I have the Eberlestock J104 (the new J34). I have owned it for 3 years and got quite a bit of use out of it. I purchased the spike duffel with it for the extra room and overall I think it is a great product. And the J107 is a step up from it. It can be used as a large day pack (which I have done lots) or expanded into a multi-day over night pack as well. The built is incredibly sturdy - I have been training for my fall sheep hunt and have been carrying around 100 pounds worth of sand bags and it has been holding up great. The straps are highly adjustable and even with 110 pounds on my bag is relatively comfortable.

I can see the scabbard causing some issues potentially but I have never once had a problem with it.

As for downsides I can't really give you any. I am not saying it is perfect but I also don't have any really big complaints about it. I would buy another one.

springpin
06-23-2011, 11:04 PM
Right on, thanks for the info.

swampthing
06-24-2011, 03:22 PM
There is other ways of strapping a rifle onto the pack as well as using the scabbord. You lose the "quick draw" though.