PDA

View Full Version : Curious/Aggressive? Bear

demlake
06-19-2011, 04:41 PM
Out today and met this bear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OcMbQ3HS0Q

Got the pick-up stopped and turned off at about 100m, before he knew I was there. He walked off the road into the bush so I got out and walked toward him. He came out of the bush and saw me, so I turned and went back to the truck, thinking he'd take off.

He starts coming toward me, back and forth across the road and into the regen, and keeps coming, all the way to about 15m.

I assume he was trying to get my scent--the wind was blowing right to left--but I've never seen a bear come toward a pick-up like this.

He seemed a little pissed off at the end--stamping and huffing. But definitely not afraid.

Steeleco
06-19-2011, 04:55 PM
Curious for sure, but he could have easily ended up dead because of it, he's not huge, but still a shooter.

r106
06-19-2011, 05:08 PM
I say just curious or he's found a easy meal in a truck before. They are smart little buggers

elkdom
06-19-2011, 05:29 PM
if he was "aggressive" ?, you would probably be doing your thread from the ER,

from 15 meters ?, it would take him about 3 seconds to "have you", if he had wanted to !

The Dude
06-19-2011, 05:32 PM
Maybe someone fed him from a vehicle.....he looks like he's trying to wind you...smell your Timbits? lol
A little shaky on the camera......rough night last night, huh? :D JK, nice vid.

demlake
06-19-2011, 05:49 PM
I was in my pick-up, elkdom, from the minute he knew I was there, at 100m.

In fact, when he got to 15m, I started the engine, just in case I had to get the window up!

boxhitch
06-19-2011, 05:53 PM
I got out and walked toward him. He came out of the bush and saw me, so I turned and went back to the truck, You moved into his space and then retreated like a warm piece of prey
He was looking for food, not a set of wheels

demlake
06-19-2011, 06:09 PM
It could be that I retreated like that.

I've taken quite a few pics from same distance this spring and the bears have basically ignored me. When I've left, I've done it slowly, backing away a step or two at a time til out of sight.

This time I turned and walked away.

Never thought about that.

r106
06-19-2011, 06:13 PM
Maybe someone fed him from a vehicle.....he looks like he's trying to wind you...smell your Timbits? lol
A little shaky on the camera......rough night last night, huh? :D JK, nice vid.

the end looked like a sasquatch sighting vid