PDA

View Full Version : Whats the coyote population like around powell river

scallywag
06-19-2011, 01:37 PM
Winter time can get a little boring around here after deer season and waiting for bear season to kick in.. Spent a lot of time trying to track down some wolves here on vancouver island but i might head over to powell river next year to see check things out and do a little calling.. is powell river infested with these little buggers or is it not worth the trip.

scallywag
06-19-2011, 06:51 PM
Anyone got any info on Powell river

jimh
06-19-2011, 09:35 PM
There's a few wolves around but no coyotes to speak of. I've had a few people tell me they're around but I've lived here since 1978 and have never seen one and have not talked to anybody else that has actually seen any in the area. I may be wrong and you're welcome to give it a try but I wouldn't hold my breath. Good luck. Jim

islander7mm
06-19-2011, 10:23 PM
I saw some wolf tracks at the end of Kartomb lake last spring when I was over there with a friend who's a local. He mentioned he'd seen coyote's before. Lots of country back there for sure.

Geo.338
06-19-2011, 11:40 PM
I am in agreeance with Jimh. I have spent the last 35 years ,been here since '69 ,in the woods all around Powell River and never have I seen a coyote .Wolves are starting to come back in the area as people are losing a bit of livestock and there have been a few sightings.I've not seen one but have seen the tracks .None of the real old timers I have talked to recall a coyote population here .They are on the sunshine coast peninsula but I think we are just to isolated by large mountains and fjord like inlets that make it tough to get into this area . They may be here but I do not think there are any numbers .

I too have thought about predator calling in some of the areas I have seen tracks.Good Luck if you decide to try .

pescado
06-20-2011, 08:15 AM
More chance of getting a cougar or a wolf than a coyote in Powell River.

ROEBUCK
06-20-2011, 08:18 AM
consentrate on the wolves , call for upto a hour or more keep dead still , keep the wind blowing to your back as predators come in down wind.
dan

westview
10-08-2011, 10:11 PM
No coyotes in Powell River. Saw some wolves last spring on Duck lake road. Better chance finding a cougar. Lots of bears around, to much.