PDA

View Full Version : Ridges East of the Besa River

Darksith
06-19-2011, 08:07 AM
Are there goat and sheep populations to be found on the ridges just to the east of the Besa river? I think one peak is called cypress?

Movingdirt
06-19-2011, 08:19 AM
Yup. Some would say that the population of sheep has decreased. It is historic sheep range for sure.

swampthing
06-19-2011, 08:42 AM
I have glassed a few sheep over there. Tough access. I have seen horses come out of there with elk. I would guess the keily creek camp would be all through there..

Darksith
06-19-2011, 09:10 AM
I have glassed a few sheep over there. Tough access. I have seen horses come out of there with elk. I would guess the keily creek camp would be all through there..
Theres an outfitter working that area?

Movingdirt
06-19-2011, 09:11 AM
Argo or Pony. Pick your poison.

swampthing
06-19-2011, 10:57 AM
Kiely creek is straight north of that range. I have glassed guys on horse over there and figured they were hunting out of that camp.

sheepaholic
06-19-2011, 11:04 AM
no argo access vehicle restriction to 5oo kg dry weight and only 400 meters off the designated trail into redfern. horse or foot dont know if a jet boat would make it up that far.

oneheadshot
06-19-2011, 12:22 PM
Yes there is a outfitter in there,i worked the kiely camp last season and will be there again this season and you wont make it past the besa kiely junction in a boat.

Darksith
06-19-2011, 02:53 PM
it looks to me on google earth anyway that a guy could possibly get within say 3km of the ridge via the seismic lines just east of the ridge...is there any chance of this, or are those seismic lines impassible by quad and google earth is simply too outdated. Just curious, we are gonna head into that area early sept and Im just thinking that if a couple of us younger legs felt so inclined that we could go for an overnight hike onto the ridge. Is this doable or am I out to lunch since Ive never been in the area before.

Rusty Shackleford
06-19-2011, 03:33 PM
Those seismic lines are not part of the designated vehicle route into the MK, so no.

swampthing
06-19-2011, 06:40 PM
I tried hiking into that range. Klingzut mnt I think its called. I quaded as far as I could ,which was allowed for as far as I got. Set out on foot and hit lots of swamp. I aborted mission. When I first replied to your post, I was thinking of the mountains north of the besa, not east. I believe goats are closed on that range. Its in the regs if I am thinking of the right spot. I have heard that if you go a bit farther up the highway past the redfern turnoff, there is another road you can head in on. I heard there is a seismic line somewhere in there that takes you to the base of the mountain. I dont know if the vehicle resticted area would be marked in there so you have to be aware of that.

Darksith
06-19-2011, 07:41 PM
Those seismic lines are not part of the designated vehicle route into the MK, so no.
Ive been looking at the maps. Do you have a more detailed one? I will have to order 1 before we leave, but it looks like you could get fairly close to the bottom of that ridge without going past the no access area. Or is there a more general rule that Im missing for that area?

bridger
06-19-2011, 10:36 PM
are you talking about the ridges along the besa after it turns north to hit the prophet? if so that is a tough area to access by quad as the closure doesn't allow you to get close enough for practica purposes unless you travel further up the highway and take a cutline in, but be aware that is real muskeg country. most of the sheep ranges left in there are on the other side of the besa. there are some elk and moose in that general area but again that is atough area for access unless you have horses, then too there is some soft ground to navigate.

hunter1947
06-20-2011, 02:21 AM
Back in the day I used to see lots of sheep on these ridges not many goats Browns Outfitting guided this area back then in the early 70ties..

albravo2
08-11-2019, 11:32 AM
Dredging up this old thread. Looks like the Besa can be accessed via the Redfern Lake trail. Anybody ever float the Besa down to the Prophet then down to the Hiway at Trutch?

I know it isn't good moose timing but I'm thinking of a late August adventure up that way. I've done most of the Redfern trail in my Rhino or on motorcycle, a good float might be a nice way to mix things up.

BCHunterFSJ
08-12-2019, 10:49 AM
My hunting partner and I did it in 2000 and almost died when the boat went under a monster logjam with us and all our gear. Lost everything...
We launched at the bridge over the Besa and encountered problems almost immediately with sweepers, logjams and very shallow parts all the way.
Even got launched over a waterfall!
Hope you are experienced "floaters". Obviously we weren't and suffered the consequences...