PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Buddy or Foe?

TheProvider
06-17-2011, 10:17 PM
Curious to hear stories from fellow hunters who's had hunting buddies who'll they'll no longer hunt with(for good reason).

I've had a few who I'll no longer hunt with due to alchohol. I don't mind drinking specially for celebrating but when you have to pack beer to go on scouting trips or a night hunt it isnt good specially. If your going to landowners to ask permission to go on their land and they reak od beer. Also had oneguy I'd hunt waterfawl with. A night of clay pigion shooting he swung his gun way behind him on a misguided clay. Nearly blasted the guy beside him.

A good friend I used to hunt moose with in Ontaro was out hunting with his brother inlaw before I was old enough to hunt. Brother inlaw was up on a ridge in a cut as my buddy was in the valley below. Needless to say the guy on the ridge spotted a moose a 100yrds past my buddy and started shooting. My buddy said he was never so scared in his life as the bullets were wizzy just ft about his head. He never hunted with him again.

Ever decide not to hunt with a guy because he's lazy? I have. A family friend asked to go bear hunting with me at one of my spots. I told him we could either go to an area that didnt allow vehicle access and where I'd seen alot of bears or a place we could drive into but I'd only seen two bears. He was driving so I let him pick. He chose the second area. He drove into an area an pulled the truck to the side of the logging road. Told me to get out and walk up and find an area to sit. Before I could get out of the truck he reached behind the seat and pulled out a case of beer and sat it beside him on the seat then pulled out a newspaper and started reading it. Hard to spot a bear that way. Never went bear hunting with him again

FirePower
06-17-2011, 10:38 PM
YEP! They know who and they know why and thats good enough.

NaStY
06-17-2011, 10:38 PM
Wow you know some stand up people.

TheProvider
06-17-2011, 10:42 PM
I think everyone knows stand up people. People just don't here about the stories. Those beer cans laying alongside of all the roads don't grow there

lip_ripper00
06-17-2011, 10:46 PM
Those beer cans laying alongside of all the roads don't grow there

Hey I gotta agree with ya... BUT.... their are a lot of other users of FRS's than hunters

NaStY
06-17-2011, 10:46 PM
Ya I dont mind a guy having a bear with lunch but a case or 26oz is a little much......

TheProvider
06-17-2011, 11:01 PM
ya i dont mind a guy having a bear with lunch but a case or 26oz is a little much......

...........x2

finngun
06-17-2011, 11:22 PM
i lost my good hunting buddy who is 15 y older than me,,becouse his health.... ifeel really bad,he was exellent partner...teach me lots about deer hunting..show me new areas..gave me lots of good memories...hunting moments. thanx Brian

hunter1947
06-18-2011, 03:07 AM
This person put a 7mm mag bullet in the center of my truck door years back ,one buddy did not like me taking people into my hunting area I have not heard from him for 15 years ,old buddy thought I had an affair with his wife have not heard from him for 20 years ,my young brother hatted my last wife have not hunted with him for 10 years ,one of my hunting partners I hunted with for years hated my last wife and stopped hunting with me ,last time we hunted together was 8 years ago ,One partner hatted me walking to far when we hunted together he soon stopped hunting with me ,I lost my best friend at the age of 17 he was shot in a hunting accident on our hunt that day..

Big Lew
06-18-2011, 07:09 AM
Used to enjoy taking a couple of very good school buddies bird hunting in the Cariboo. We always had a great time. Showed them a special camping spot, asking them not to show others, as it was special to my new family and I. We used to camp in a special out of the way spot at the head of a meadow, a place that I had been using for many years before, a place the local cowboys knew I camped at the same time every year, and would always drop in for a visit. We kept it immaculately clean. My Wife, Kids, Father, and I, went there the year after showing my "friends" and were shocked and dismayed to find, not only my friends, but also a large group of students from the high school one of them taught at. The place was a mess, they had chopped live trees down, had several fire pits amongst the trees without barriers, and had crapped throughout the nearby bush without digging a hole, or covering it. That was the last time I went hunting with them, and the last time I enjoyed friendship with the school teacher. I learned a valuable lesson though, if it's something very special, keep it to yourself....My Wife and I used to take our Kids out of school just to go camping in that beautiful spot....we've never gone back.

John P
06-18-2011, 07:14 AM
I guess I am lucky I have hunter every year with the same guys. We all grew up together and have been going hunting for over 20 years.One of them decided one year to bring a co-worker, not a fit to our group. You have to make sure everone gets along when your going into the bush for 7-10 days or it can be a disaster.

gwillim
06-18-2011, 07:51 AM
I've never been a fan of big groups for any kind of outdoor activity. May be I'm lazy, but it just starts to be too much effort to accommodate everyones interests. For the friends I have gone hunting with, I give the same scrutiny as I would to a rock climbing or mountaineering partner. Is this someone that I would feel good about at the other end of the rope?

That being said, when I just want to be a nice guy (rarely, ha ha) and take someone new hunting I'll pick somewhere that is close to home, not a "secret spot", and easy to navigate in. That way if things don't pan out you haven't put a huge investment into the day.

Darksith
06-18-2011, 07:57 AM
I don't have any buddies that I have shunned, and Im thankful for that. I have 1 buddy that I have taken to a spot of mine, saw a really nice buck, he went back the next day and bagged it, and now he goes there all the time without me. I'll always hunt with him, its just a spot after all, there are lots of them out there, but it did bug me just a little.

I have another friend that likes to drink too much, and makes some poor decisions from time to time, but I continue to hunt with him as I look at it as my chance to be a good influence in his life. The days that we hunt together are days that I know he will stay outta trouble, and I do enjoy hunting with him so I don't look at it like Im doing charity work or anything.

new hunter
06-18-2011, 08:36 AM
Took 2 friends from work out shooting {both licenced } . walked out into the log sort to check our target , turned around and theres buddy pointing my rifle at me . Guess he thought it was funny. Got back , said my peice , then had to talk him out of shooting at a large granite boulder less than ten yrds from us{using steel core ammo no less} . As I'm packing my gear up buddy decides it would be funny to let off with his 12g ,unannounced and right next to me { we were standing at the trunk of a shooting car , he put one broadside throgh the rear window}.
Was showing my wifes friends fiance my gun collection , little @sshole (little@sshole) starts dry firing my maverick . Asked him to stop , he put the muzzle in my chest and clicked . He keeps asking to go shooting , I said no ,you can't go pointing guns at people he said "its o.k. if theyre not loaded".
Between the stupidity , not wanting to deal with laziness , headstrong people that don't recognize theyre own inexperience, and having to keep chatty people entertained who are only hunting for the bonding experience , I thik I'll just keep hunting solo.

M.Dean
06-18-2011, 08:37 AM
I found a great Moose spot years ago, seen a few Cows and a small bull but couldn't get a shot. So, next day I took a guy I knew there, I parked the truck and told him to hike down the trail and when you come to a bunch of Poplar trees across the trail, get in the middle of them and wait, I was sure the Moose would cross there. I went the other way, it started raining like hell after a few hours so I hiked back to the truck and poured a coffee. Wasn't long and my buddy showed up, he opened the truck door, had the Rifle pointed down wards, thank Christ and told me his tale! He'd went to the downed trees and waited, and sure as hell along the trail came the 2 cows and small bull! He said he put the scope on the Bull, which was about 60 yards away, he told me he pulled the safety off then pulled the trigger, and nothing happened! I told him on dam near every gun I've ever seen, you PUSH the Safety off, not pull it off. So, like a God Dam Idiot he said, "Nope, Not this gun" and he Pushed the Safety off and pulled the trigger!!! The roar of that 7MM Mag was enough to scare the Shit out of anyone! The bullet missed the Door Sill of my truck and went into the ground at his feet! That was about the Stupidest thing I've ever seen! He suck holed and whined about how he really knew guns etc, and maybe we should come back to this spot in the morning, after he figgered out how the Safety worked on his gun! I told him to meet me at 5:30 in the morning at my place, I left at 5:00!!! The next day I walked the opposite side of the road, on Crutches around the back of the small lake, I shot a 45 1/2 inch Bull!!! When I was coming out to get help, who do I run into, you guessed it, Mr. Safety! It took 5 or 6 of us the whole day to pack that Bull out, and that was the last time I asked that Fool to go hunting with me!!!

Bow Walker
06-18-2011, 09:16 AM
I used to hunt with a guy when I was in Vancouver, we used to go up Squamish way, one very early morning he came down to the truck with his wife - he hadn't bothered telling me about it the night before, just showed up with her unannounced.

I was planning on dropping him as a hunting buddy anyway (he had a habit of talking very loudly at the oddest times, and he was like a bulldozer going through the bush) but that put the icing on the cake. The day was a total bust. I sent him and his wife in one direction and I went in the other. I was pretty upset and probably walked right past at least a few 'trophies'.

That was the last time I ever went out with him.

wos
06-18-2011, 11:41 AM
Started hunting with my dad when I was about 5. I have hunted with lots of different people over the years some I will hunt with again most I wont. The best times are always the trips with my dad and some of the old guys that live around his cabin. They all know the hard work that goes into a hunt.

CanuckShooter
06-18-2011, 11:52 AM
Was on a deer hunt outside of Williams Lake and one of the guys that tagged along on the hunt was such a pain in the arse I drove him to WL and put him on a bus home, never hunted with him again! That was the worst experience I've ever had with someone on a hunt.

Singleshotneeded
06-18-2011, 12:55 PM
This guy Matt invited me up to mine and my dad's old hunting grounds north of Smithers for moose several years ago. Since it was a chance to see the old turf I agreed, and went up for a few days. He had a large thermos that he filled every morning while I filled mine with coffee. The difference with his was he filled it half full of rum, one quarter Carolans, and one quarter coffee. I asked him what side of the FSR he was hunting, I took the other, and told him no shooting in the direction of the FSR. Last time I hunted with him! As has been said, a single beer with lunch I can live with, but getting severely buzzed or drunk is something you only do when the guns are put away in the evening around the campfire. Personally I have a couple, as waking up early with a hangover isn't something I like to do! :-)

Glassman
06-18-2011, 02:36 PM
Went hunting with a fellow once. His scope was duk taped to the rifle. I asked him if he actually shoots deer that way. He said that he shot lots of deer with that rifle in Alberta. He has never cleaned his rifle the proper way. He said that when the bullit goes down the barrel it cleans as it goes.
I was about 10 yards behind him once and saw a bunch w/t does. He could not see them even though they were only 30 yards in front of him. He wanted me to shoot his doe even though I did not have a doe tag, he was standing between me and the does, and some people in a truck about 20 yards away watching all this. Never again with that dude. 10 years later he complained that his rifle sometimes jams. I told him to clean it first. He said he didn't want to waste money on a cleaning kit. To this day he has never sighted-in his rifle or practice shooting.

farside
06-18-2011, 04:37 PM
Have not yet lost a friend over hunting but will not hunt anymore with one person. We both have a different idea about hunting and a way different thought as to why we each hunt. Only person I ever did not offer to share the game with as I knew where it would wind up. Friends still but just can't hunt with them.

Have another hunting partner that I have hunted with since I started. Golden hunting partner and good friend too.

Moose Guide
06-18-2011, 07:39 PM
Only one I wouldn't hunt with, he started to lean to the poaching side of my favorite pass-time and so we slowly drifted apart!