PDA

View Full Version : Building a cooler

kebes
06-17-2011, 09:52 PM
Looking into making a 4x8 cooler, will a normal window air conditioner or something of the like that work to keep it cool?

bearhunter338-06
06-17-2011, 09:54 PM
Google cool bot

Jim Prawn
06-17-2011, 10:20 PM
We used the refridge unit from an old corner store pop cooler. Works like a charm in our portable 4'wx6'dx5'h cooler, built with 1/4" ply and 2" styrofoam. Runs OK on 3500 w generator but better with a 5000. Hung 4 six point elk and two deer in it one hot September with no problem. Also keeps the beer cold.
JP

boxhitch
06-18-2011, 06:08 AM
Google cool botSearch HBC for CoolBot

mrak
06-19-2011, 11:18 PM
Looking into making a 4x8 cooler, will a normal window air conditioner or something of the like that work to keep it cool?

the 8ft. is fine but the with a quarter of a big moose does not need 4 ft. keep the air moving as per back thew the unit as 36 to 38 with a breeze is fine and the window unit is ok. and a air vent to out side as moisture is your enemy.

Bowzone_Mikey
06-19-2011, 11:25 PM
I am building one out of an an old small walkin cooler unit ... more like a huge reach in ... call up small refrig techs .... they almost always have stuff lying around ... that they will let go for cheap

kebes
06-21-2011, 02:44 PM
Cool thanks guys. I've been looking at cool bot, does anyone know if it works with the vertical window mounted a/c units ie. http://www.lghvac.com/products/products_list_models.asp?seq=175&type_seq=8&cate_seq=12&mode=read

Thanks.

alpinetreker
07-01-2011, 10:14 PM
I bought a coolbot last year and it works great. We got our uninsulated cooler down to 2.5 deg in probably 15 min. I would suggest only using the ac units that they list on there site. The vertical window mount should work because it is window mount but they say not to use the stand up units.

Trapper
07-03-2011, 07:39 AM
Coolbot works great i've had mine for three years now, i use mine with a 18000 btu a/c and my cooler is 10x12, insulation is the most important part, i have 6" on the floor and ceiling and 4 " (styrofoam) in the walls.

kebes
07-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Okay, so another question....Looking into this more I'm probably going to build something a bit smaller. I want it to be relatively compact but big enough to store elk or moose quarters. What type of dimensions would I need....I've only dealt with deer don't really know how much room moose or elk would take but hopefully I'll need it in the not to distant future :).

Whonnock Boy
07-05-2011, 05:07 PM
Okay, so another question....Looking into this more I'm probably going to build something a bit smaller. I want it to be relatively compact but big enough to store elk or moose quarters. What type of dimensions would I need....I've only dealt with deer don't really know how much room moose or elk would take but hopefully I'll need it in the not to distant future :).

The old cooler we had use of was 6'6" X 7. We could hang two elk or moose in it with enough room to walk down the middle of the quarters. You could actually get about 5 quarters on each side. There would be spots where the quarters were either touching the walls or each other. I would think a 3 X 5 would be just about right. It would need to be about 6'6" tall to be able to hang the quarters without them touching the floor. That is about a bare minimum for height. You have to think by the time you mount the hanging pole a foot below the ceiling, it only gives you 5'6" for the quarters to hang. This was the height of our old cooler and with larger animals, we would get some pieces that would touch the floor. Hope this helps.

cdub
10-04-2011, 08:28 PM
i just bought a coolbot for a room i am turning into a cooler. It took 5 mins to hook up as they say and once i got the defrost sensor adjusted correctly i got my room down to -1c. Now i need to insulate the floor and seal up any gaps and foam the door.

Ddog
10-04-2011, 08:50 PM
cool bot is a great thing, mine has been set for a month now and is working like a charm in my 10x10 by7' cooler, i have mine set on power saver and it is working like a champ!, my AC unit is a 24,000 BTU and is great. THE COOL BOT IS FANTASTIC! Highly recommend this to anyone building a cooler

albravo2
09-21-2020, 02:28 PM
bumping this, anybody build their own walk-in lately?

jan.wi97
09-21-2020, 03:18 PM
My brother is a Red Seal Appliance Tech.
He is building me a full size walk in cooler. If you have questions etc. Pm me,
I can get those questions to him and he can fill you in on a few things!

albravo2
09-21-2020, 04:55 PM
My brother is a Red Seal Appliance Tech.
He is building me a full size walk in cooler. If you have questions etc. Pm me,
I can get those questions to him and he can fill you in on a few things!

Are you using a coolbot or a proper refrigeration unit?