PDA

View Full Version : fishing at howard lake

steelballs
06-17-2011, 07:44 PM
anyone been up there hows the road and fishin

landphil
06-17-2011, 07:49 PM
If you're talking about the Howard Lk in region 5, the last few Km up the hill is pretty rough, solid 2wd road, but rough, unless there has been some changes in recent years. Fishing can be good, far end of the lake is usually best, but the fish get "muddy" as the water warms up. I pulled a 20.5" 5lb rainbow out of there some years back

Ruger4
06-17-2011, 07:56 PM
if your talkin howard in region 8 bring a snowmobile !!!

Fisher-Dude
06-17-2011, 09:46 PM
if your talkin howard in region 8 bring a snowmobile !!!

X2! Still winter up there!

You ever fished it R4? Catch anything?

steelballs
06-17-2011, 10:41 PM
yes region 5 by canim lake going for a week wish me luck

landphil
06-18-2011, 08:16 PM
Good luck, have fun in my old stomping grounds, and catch one for me! Looking forward to a full report after.

bsa30-06
06-18-2011, 08:20 PM
yes region 5 by canim lake going for a week wish me luck
some big fish in there, seen some real nice ones come out of there.A number of years ago my mom took one just over 7lbs,and have seen a few bigger taken over the years.My brother drove in there awhile ago said the road wasnt bad,drives a dodge durango had no problems.Good luck.

sakofinnlight
06-19-2011, 03:39 PM
I grew up in 100 Mile and that is one of the lakes I have fished ALOT of the years. Biggest fish I have ever caught out of there is closing in on the 6lb range, this time of the yr is normally best up there, anywhere at the far end of the lake in 12-20 feet anchored with chironamids can produce excellent days on the water catching 30 fish quite often but the size is lacking in the last few yrs. Always manage to get some 3-4 every yr but average fish seems to be about 2 lbs. It must have been about 5 years ago now Howard got a pretty bad winter kill, I remember me and my dad were one of the first ones to fish the lake that year and after hours of not seeing any fish splashing around on the surface or any hits we decided to cruise the shallows to see of we could figure out what was going on, didnt take us long at all and we were seeing dead fish on the bottom close to shore EVERYWHERE, and some of the fish would be pushing 10lbs, and alot around the 5lb, we figured that most the bigger fish died as they might need more oxygen in the water to survive than the little fish, anyway about 2 yrs after that we were catching 5 pounders again. As for how the lake is doing this yr my dad fished it a week after ice off and had a fairly slow day. Then he was up again last wknd and got into a excellent day with little black chronies!

sakofinnlight
06-19-2011, 03:43 PM
forgot to meantion, I remember 15 yrs ago going up there and the road was terrible to put it nicely, was hard to get a trailer of any size up there, then last yr while up there for the weekend I saw a triple axle fifth wheel and many 20+ foot travel trailers. road has improved durastically which is kinda nice in a way but it has put alot more pressure on the lake and it seems like alot of people that fish the lake are trollers and they go up and kill their 5 fish a day which is a reason why those big fish arent being caught often. 30 yrs ago apparently 15+ lb rainbows were being caught every yr!