PDA

View Full Version : My spike fork bull

markt308
06-17-2011, 02:24 PM
I never shared the story or pictures so i thought since we are all starving right about, why not share.

Me and 5 buddies made our first ever trip up to Quesnel in October 2009. One of my friends who had gone in the LEH moose draw by himself was successful. We all decided to go along for the ride, help him get his bull and we would hunt mule deer. We were seeing tons of moose but we were having trouble helping him get a shot at a bull. Meanwhile we were discovering that there are NO mulies in the area we were hunting, so the rest of us were itching for him to bag his moose so we could head south to my mulie shack. after 5 days we packed up and headed to my spot in Region 3. First morning my buddy with the moose tag shot a nice 2 point mulie and the rest of us were seeing tons of deer. Our spirits were up but deep inside i was choked that we never got a moose. The last evening of our 8 day hunt my buddy and I went wayyy back in the bush to this good deer spot i hunt. I got set up on the top of this bare hill looking down over a large slash. The wind was howling and i did not expect the deer to be out in the open. I was sitting and resting my loaded lever action on a stump between my legs when i caught movement to my left. A moose!! And it's a young bull! could it be a spike fork?! I had to decide very fast as it was on the run at over 200 yards. I quickly raised my binos, identified a definite spike on one side, brought up my gun and let one go aiming for the front 1/4. He was still trotting, so i fired again, then he dissapeard over a bank and outta sight. I couldnt believe what had just unfolded! I radio'd my buddy who was only about 250 yards the other way. He hadnt heard the shots cause of the wind. When i told him I had just shot a bull moose he freeked out and started running towards me. We waited 15 minutes then crept down to where i thought he would be. There he was piled up. It was a sureel feeling. I always buy a moose tag just in case i happen upon a spike fork and somehow the stars aligned. Isn't that just hunting? You go to prime moose country for 5 days and get skunked, then against all odds we got our moose anyways. It was the end of an awesome trip with my hunting buddies.

markt308
06-17-2011, 02:25 PM
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i18/markgthompson/moose.jpg

markt308
06-17-2011, 02:25 PM
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i18/markgthompson/markhunt09_015.jpg

Gord
06-17-2011, 02:41 PM
Great story, looks like a great area and you had good weather to boot.

Gord.

monasheemountainman
06-17-2011, 02:56 PM
nice work man!

Ride Red
06-17-2011, 03:12 PM
Good job. Always nice when the unexpected happens ( in a good way mind you ). I've had trips like that too over the years, that's what keeps it interesting, cause you just never know.

carnivore
06-17-2011, 03:21 PM
Nice moose. That is truely a SPIKE - FORK.

markt308
06-17-2011, 04:09 PM
Nice moose. That is truely a SPIKE - FORK.

ha ya i know eh. A perfect spike fork. Thanks for the congrats boys. As you could imagine it was a real good eater. Sure hope i can just draw a moose tag this year so i don't have to try and find another one of these things!

bearhunter338-06
06-17-2011, 04:24 PM
Bet he was tasty. Region 3 has some good areas for moose........What area was the moose from.

BillBraskii
06-17-2011, 04:37 PM
Nice rifle.....what's it chambered in??

.308 I assume:mrgreen:

markt308
06-17-2011, 04:57 PM
Nice rifle.....what's it chambered in??

.308 I assume:mrgreen:

Haha you know it! It's been a very lucky gun for me. I love it. Especially now that I've got a nice leupold on top

300H&H
06-17-2011, 05:01 PM
WOW WEEEEE !

Those things are real.
I thought a spike/fork was a myth.
Only 73 days and Im out for big mulies.
Moose soon after.

kennyj
06-17-2011, 05:41 PM
Thats a great moose. Enjoyed your story. Can't wait for this years.
kenny

06-17-2011, 07:39 PM
The ol' 99 can still get it done - with the right person pulling the trigger ;)

Congrats.

NaStY
06-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Nice immy, should have bought a lottery ticket too.....

M.Dean
06-17-2011, 08:38 PM
So, thats what they look like!!! I'm going to print off a pic of your Immy and tape it on my Fridge Door, just to remind myself they do exist!!! Thanks for posting, gets a guy thinking about Hunting again and not Shitty Over Paid Goalie's!!!

THE BEAST
06-17-2011, 08:47 PM
great story and awsome pics.

hunter1947
06-18-2011, 03:21 AM
Thats the best eating animal you can put on the dinner plate well story was nice to read ,congrats to you and your partners on this hunt..

ratherbefishin
06-18-2011, 09:12 AM
Great story-and add me to the list that believes the chances of actually seeing a spike fork moose is about as good as seeing a unicorn...and as for eating,I'll take a young bull any day[easier to pack, too]

TheProvider
06-18-2011, 09:19 AM
Nice work, isn't that what tends to happen? You always see an animal your not hunting for haha it's always best to have a cple different tags

Ghillie
06-22-2011, 11:54 AM
Awesome Bull! I Lived in Quesnel for 14 years and yes, it "could" be called prime hunting for moose but you need to know exactly where to go ;) I had seen lots of small moose there over the years and the day after moose season was over, here comes this MONSTER trotting out into the field, biggest moose I have ever seen around Quesnel, it was quite the sight!

markt308
06-23-2011, 01:22 PM
Awesome Bull! I Lived in Quesnel for 14 years and yes, it "could" be called prime hunting for moose but you need to know exactly where to go ;) I had seen lots of small moose there over the years and the day after moose season was over, here comes this MONSTER trotting out into the field, biggest moose I have ever seen around Quesnel, it was quite the sight!

right on. Well this year i drew the tag and i know where to go now haha. I can't wait to get out there in September. It would be nice to shoot a decent bull but of course the eats on a young bull are unbeatable as everyone has been saying

overunder
06-23-2011, 02:06 PM
really nice savage, in great shape what year? tasty lookin moose too!

lightmag
06-23-2011, 05:28 PM
beauty!! i saw and shot my first 2x2 last year, both exactly like the fork on yours, i had seen 26 moose up until that point, cow and calves galore, called in big bulls, never a young bull!! went out on a super windy and warm day (almost didnt because of the wind) , and low and behold after stopping to investigate a cow and calf, a perfect 2x2 is 300 yards behind them !! best eating moose to date!!

Love the gun!! my dad has the exact same rifle!! it's a keeper!!

markt308
06-23-2011, 05:43 PM
really nice savage, in great shape what year? tasty lookin moose too!

Thanks I love that gun. My dad has the exact same one and he's had it forever and shot countless animals with it. I use to borrow it growing up instead of using my own brit 303, then one day back when i was like 15 I just bit the bullet and went out and bought my own. That was about 10 years ago now. They are great guns. I love the lever action.

kitnayakwa77
06-30-2011, 10:24 AM
nice rifle! How do you like the Leupold on it? I have a 99F in .308 and it is my favorite rifle, super accurate, reliable and classy, nothing like the tupperware POS rifles lots are using nowadays!

markt308
06-30-2011, 01:03 PM
nice rifle! How do you like the Leupold on it? I have a 99F in .308 and it is my favorite rifle, super accurate, reliable and classy, nothing like the tupperware POS rifles lots are using nowadays!

Thanks. When I first bought it i moved over an old tasco scope and mounted that. finally I just dropped the coin and bought the Leopold. Wow what a burst of quality! I've shot 4 animals with it in the last 2 years, I just love it.