PDA

View Full Version : In the market for an aluminum boat

one-shot-wonder
06-17-2011, 12:19 PM
Thinking about buying a 10 or 12' aluminum boat (likely flatbottom) for flyfishing. Hopefully light enough for a 1 person launch. Run an electric motor on the back.......Any opinions on a good set up? Price range? Know of any for sale?

Johnnybear
06-17-2011, 12:26 PM
Have you checked out these guys
http://www.spratleyboats.com/index.htm

I looked them over quite closely at the outdoor show and they seem well built.

one-shot-wonder
06-17-2011, 01:12 PM
Thanks Jonny those are nice looking boats for sure!
Probably not looking for a brand new boat, but there is so much used junk for sale out there I won't put it past myself. I guess patience will be tested to find the right set up.

Johnnybear
06-17-2011, 01:59 PM
Thanks Jonny those are nice looking boats for sure!
Probably not looking for a brand new boat, but there is so much used junk for sale out there I won't put it past myself. I guess patience will be tested to find the right set up.

Lund makes a fairly reasonable Jon style boat. I have seen them on blow out sales at some boat places. Just pound the internet looking at set ups of other folks boats to get idea's etc. Then pound the boat sales sites and find a good deal. Good luck and happy boat hunting:-D.

lilhoss
06-17-2011, 02:04 PM
Ive been looking for the same setup as you have describe.I've settled on a Lund from a dealer here on the Island.
http://www.lundboats.com/images/content/boats/small-boat/WD-14/callout.jpg
14 ft with oars comes in at $2175.00 plus taxes.Saving my mad money as we speak.I've look at lots of used ones but most are so beat up it ain't worth it to me.

ROEBUCK
06-17-2011, 02:13 PM
keep checking out craigslist ,kijiji and other sites
I picked up a lowe jon boat 10 foot in as new condition on this site from bowhunterbruce
bruce had only used the boat once but had no further use for it.
the deals are out there but you have to be patient if you want a good price.
dan

Johnnybear
06-17-2011, 03:16 PM
If you weld or have a buddy that can weld you might want to check out these.

http://www.metalboatkits.com/12_foot_dinghy/dinghy.htm

110 bucks for the plans and cutting files. I haven't priced out the aluminum pre-cut yet but it wouldn't be all that bad.

I'm probably going to build one of these or the 16' version this winter after hunting season is over. I don't own a lake boat at the moment and besides boats are like guns and knives.........you can never have too many of them:-D.

markt308
06-17-2011, 03:17 PM
I bought my 10' off craigslist for $200 . It was a steel. keep your eye on craigslist man the deals are out there. I use an electric and it's beauty on them fly lakes. good luck

frenchbar
06-17-2011, 03:46 PM
1300$ set up anchors and mounts..chair ..electric motor 10 ft G3 flat bottom all brand new...could of waited around for the right deal ...but im an impatient kind of guy and went new . used it a few times works good ..even had 2 people in it at roughly 400 lbs ..no problems .altho it was a small lk . i built a floor for the middle section and carpet .
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x158/05muleycrazy/005-15.jpg

frenchbar
06-17-2011, 03:50 PM
Ive been looking for the same setup as you have describe.I've settled on a Lund from a dealer here on the Island.
http://www.lundboats.com/images/content/boats/small-boat/WD-14/callout.jpg
14 ft with oars comes in at $2175.00 plus taxes.Saving my mad money as we speak.I've look at lots of used ones but most are so beat up it ain't worth it to me.

thats a pretty good price !!!

Johnnybear
06-17-2011, 04:12 PM
Nice set up frenchbar!

frenchbar
06-17-2011, 04:17 PM
Nice set up frenchbar!

thanks...just wished i could get out more. kinda sucks i gotta travel a bit to get to the land of the lakes .

Old Crow
06-17-2011, 04:59 PM
Looking good

stixnstones
06-17-2011, 08:02 PM
i know someone selling one for 1200.00 .its 12ft lund red strip.no trailer.good shape.maybe he will take a 1000$

Fisher-Dude
06-17-2011, 09:03 PM
Looking good

Piss poor effort put into that post. I expect more from you.

Frenchie, nice unit! Your new boat needs some fish blood on the gunwales to christen it! ;)

boxhitch
06-18-2011, 06:14 AM
Onesquirt, ever consider an inflatable ? Boat, I mean.

Salty
06-18-2011, 01:20 PM
If you weld or have a buddy that can weld you might want to check out these.

http://www.metalboatkits.com/12_foot_dinghy/dinghy.htm

110 bucks for the plans and cutting files. I haven't priced out the aluminum pre-cut yet but it wouldn't be all that bad.

I'm probably going to build one of these or the 16' version this winter after hunting season is over. I don't own a lake boat at the moment and besides boats are like guns and knives.........you can never have too many of them:-D.

Cool boat Jb!

From way down at the bottom of their page:

The 12 Foot Dinghy is available as :

CNC Cutting Files and Instructions = $110.00 USD

Full-Size Patterns and Plans = Not Available

Precut Aluminum and Instructions = $1850.00 USD*

or Complete Welded out Hull = $2800.00 USD*
* Shipping Extra

Less than 2 grand for the precut kit, that's pretty darn good if a guy has a welder or a buddy with one that'll work for beer. lol Way more boat here than any riveted show.

This is a way slick way to go too. A guy here locally designed a river skiff, john boat style. He hired an outfit to put his design table of offsets into a CNC program and they send him precut pieces measured exactly to the mm. Just build a simple jig and weld'm up, hard to go wrong.

Salty
06-18-2011, 01:23 PM
1300$ set up anchors and mounts..chair ..electric motor 10 ft G3 flat bottom all brand new...could of waited around for the right deal ...but im an impatient kind of guy and went new . used it a few times works good ..even had 2 people in it at roughly 400 lbs ..no problems .altho it was a small lk . i built a floor for the middle section and carpet .
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x158/05muleycrazy/005-15.jpg

Sweet lake boat frenchy. You need a beer holder tho :mrgreen:

frenchbar
06-18-2011, 03:15 PM
its in the works salty:-D

Johnnybear
06-18-2011, 06:05 PM
Cool boat Jb!

From way down at the bottom of their page:

The 12 Foot Dinghy is available as :

CNC Cutting Files and Instructions = $110.00 USD

Full-Size Patterns and Plans = Not Available

Precut Aluminum and Instructions = $1850.00 USD*

or Complete Welded out Hull = $2800.00 USD*

* Shipping Extra

Less than 2 grand for the precut kit, that's pretty darn good if a guy has a welder or a buddy with one that'll work for beer. lol Way more boat here than any riveted show.

This is a way slick way to go too. A guy here locally designed a river skiff, john boat style. He hired an outfit to put his design table of offsets into a CNC program and they send him precut pieces measured exactly to the mm. Just build a simple jig and weld'm up, hard to go wrong.

I can buy the aluminum cheaper and get it cut for cheaper than that as well. I think they are a great boat too. Tough as hell and would last a lifetime and my kid's lifetime. Ram it up on the beach, into docks, etc. with minimal damage. What's not to like!

Salty
06-18-2011, 06:57 PM
I can buy the aluminum cheaper and get it cut for cheaper than that as well. !

I might be taling to you about this down the road bud, I need to redo the cabin on an old crew boat will need some material. Hopefully this winter's project :-D

REMINGTON JIM
06-18-2011, 07:05 PM
I have a Harborcraft 11 ft flyfisher boat- it is a flat bottom and weights about 90 lbs - i use a minnkota 42 lb thrust motor and a 6 hp evildude engine- this combo works good- these boats came in 9 ft and 11 ft lenghts but are now discontinued but i see the odd one for sale in the buy n sell - try and fine one ! Jim :-D

one-shot-wonder
06-19-2011, 03:40 PM
Onesquirt, ever consider an inflatable ? Boat, I mean.

Good point Boxsnatch, I would just prefer a flat bottom aluminum, chuck in the truck and go. Not into the assembly thing or possible future patching.

A small tin flat bottom with an electric will be my ideal fly boat.

one-shot-wonder
06-19-2011, 03:42 PM
I have a Harborcraft 11 ft flyfisher boat- it is a flat bottom and weights about 90 lbs - i use a minnkota 42 lb thrust motor and a 6 hp evildude engine- this combo works good- these boats came in 9 ft and 11 ft lenghts but are now discontinued but i see the odd one for sale in the buy n sell - try and fine one ! Jim :-D

That setup peaks my interest, but I wont hold out for one to come available, might just buy a new jon boat (Lowe, or Lund) there reasonay priced and light weight.

boxhitch
06-19-2011, 06:20 PM
Ah well hoped you would opt for the Zodiac so I could borrow it

Next time through Spokane check out the White Elephant they used to have great prices on jon boats.

one-shot-wonder
06-19-2011, 10:12 PM
Ah well hoped you would opt for the Zodiac so I could borrow it

Next time through Spokane check out the White Elephant they used to have great prices on jon boats.

I do have a trip to Spokane planned this summer............likely will have made my purchase before then but I will make a few phone calls and see if it is worth hold out.
The old white elephant.......brings back childhood memories of back to school shopping in the late 80's - 90's when the exchange was good, lots of deals in that place.