PDA

View Full Version : Gave it a shot

Fishgutz
06-16-2011, 10:29 AM
Well, yesterday my son and I put over 600km on the the truck, explored some new areas, saw one rabbit, one moose and 18 deer. But not one bear!!!!

Anyone else have any luck on thier last minute spring bear?

madrona sh
06-16-2011, 10:33 AM
Found my big boar but not in a spot that I could take him. His skull can grow some more this summer.

elkdom
06-16-2011, 10:34 AM
over 3 days put on 1800 klms of driving checking pipelines, clear-cuts,logging/O&G roads, seen a couple of bears with cubs( unshootable) so totally pointless !

3 days later, 5 shoot-able Blk Bears (all 5 mature and singular) in less than 20 km over a period of less than 1 hour,,,

that's why it is called "HUNTING"

madrona sh
06-16-2011, 10:35 AM
Oh and I stopped counting deer at 35

sailpunk
06-16-2011, 05:27 PM
Well, yesterday my son and I put over 600km on the the truck, explored some new areas, saw one rabbit, one moose and 18 deer. But not one bear!!!!

Anyone else have any luck on thier last minute spring bear?

Went up to Gillis Lake area and saw one black bear who darted before I could get a clean shot. Otherwise I saw 4 deer and one rabbit over three days! Only a few piles of bear skat where as last year the logging roads were carpeted!! Must be the shit spring because last year at the same time I saw too many to count.

sarg
06-16-2011, 06:09 PM
Went up to Gillis Lake area and saw one black bear who darted before I could get a clean shot. Otherwise I saw 4 deer and one rabbit over three days! Only a few piles of bear skat where as last year the logging roads were carpeted!! Must be the shit spring because last year at the same time I saw too many to count.
i got my spring bear up there last year, ur right bear skat every were ,this year not so much, seen one doe up there this year that it.

Marc
06-16-2011, 06:56 PM
The season seemed extremely late this year. I got out 3 days this spring and only saw 8 bears in total. On a good day I usually see a dozen. They'll be around during the fall as well, just try and keep away from the rivers if you're looking for something to eat.

Tikka270wsm
06-16-2011, 07:05 PM
Yup, weird spring is right. Not that I hunted much for bears this year but a normal number of spring bear sightings in the area I hunt for an evening hunt would be in the double digits. This year, it seemed that most slashes that would normaly be green, were brown. And that's on Vancouver Island. I can't imagine what it was like on the mainland. Maybe it'll be that much better hunting bears in the fall.

Amphibious
06-16-2011, 07:32 PM
i see you guys quoting kilometers - do you ever get out of the truck? ;)

06-16-2011, 07:43 PM
i see you guys quoting kilometers - do you ever get out of the truck? :wink:

As a rule when bear hunting, l don't get out of my tracker much. I enjoy checking out new areas and seeing what has changed in known areas as much as any part of spring bear hunting. l've shot a few in the past....... now they have to be big or some special colour AND visible from the bush buggy! :) Couldn't care less most of the time if successfull or not, the spring season gives a guy a good reason to be in the bush.

bear buster
06-16-2011, 08:16 PM
As a rule when bear hunting, l don't get out of my tracker much. I enjoy checking out new areas and seeing what has changed in known areas as much as any part of spring bear hunting. l've shot a few in the past....... now they have to be big or some special colour AND visible from the bush buggy! :) Couldn't care less most of the time if successfull or not, the spring season gives a guy a good reason to be in the bush.

Well put, sounds alot like the way we do it in the spring. Was unable to get out much this spring due to work, did maage to take a bear, not my biggest by far. We did put on some miles, and seen alot of new roads and leases that were punched in this winter, holly crap is there lots of new roads! But it was awsome to get out after that llllllllllooooooooooonnnnnnnggggggggg winter......moose in under 2 months!

THE BEAST
06-20-2011, 03:42 PM
This year i didn't get out much but when we did it was much slower than it normaly is. but i shot one 5 footer.

THE BEAST ''michael''

dave_fras
06-20-2011, 04:12 PM
the last 2 season have been my worst ever!... we did pass up at least 20 bears.. some nice boars too... only passed up 4 that were over 6ft.. but they were all rubbed out!