PDA

View Full Version : Drop Aways

grunion
06-16-2011, 08:14 AM
What are you using for drop away rests. What works and what dosen't. i am thinking of trying the ripcord or QAD.

Bowzone_Mikey
06-16-2011, 09:03 AM
I use trophy takers ... I like the code reds as well

Bow Walker
06-16-2011, 09:19 AM
I use the APA Safari Twister. I do like the QAD and the Ripcord type of rest too, though. My hunting buddy prefers the QAD.

Safari Twister by APA
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Safari_Twister.jpg

QAD Ultra Rest
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/QAD_Ultra_Pro_HD_arrow_rest.jpg

Rip Cord Red
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/RipCord-Black-Red.jpg

grunion
06-16-2011, 09:59 AM
I use a G5 expert, I like the simplicity of it but have issues with fletch clearances, any issues with these other rests?

Ike
06-16-2011, 10:11 AM
G5 and Trophy Taker Smackdown FC - like them both and no clearance issues for me.
Had terrible luck with the low end QAD but others have had great luck with them.

Cheers

Mountain Man
06-16-2011, 12:10 PM
Check out the new Trophy Ridge, Revolution !!!
Im sceptical when it comes to new products, im not always the first to jump on board but I have sold and installed a few now and there really slick !! A fall away with good arrow containment.

Rip cord code red is our number one seller as well !

Riverbc
06-16-2011, 12:19 PM
NAP Apache

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/417jFCCzkRL._SS500_.jpg

Bow Walker
06-16-2011, 01:53 PM
I use a G5 expert, I like the simplicity of it but have issues with fletch clearances, any issues with these other rests?

My Safari Twister does not have any clearance issues at all. My buddy's QAD Ultra Pro does not have any issues either.

oldtimer
06-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Trophy Taker ! simple, very durable. I have had no issues with mine and have used it for in excess of 5 years. I am of the "Old School " if it aint broke leave it alone. Mike

mntbowhunter
06-16-2011, 07:04 PM
I tried the quad ultra rest on my old bow and it was the worste rest ever. couldnt get it to clear fletches. I now shoot a mathews z7 magnum (340fps bow) with a rip cord code red and have absolutely no problems at all.

BlackwaterHunter
06-16-2011, 08:42 PM
So far ive shot at least a couple thousand arrows through my apa twisted cd and it works amazing for target and outdoors!

Ambush
06-16-2011, 09:09 PM
I think some of the older rests are having a hard time keeping up with some of todays super fast bows. A rest designed to get out of the way of an arrow going 260 fps may not fare so well on a bow throwing them out at 290 plus fps. The Ripcord Code Red with the no-bounce launcher moves fast enough and is very quiet and consistant.
A few of the models that get pulled out of the way using the down cable are also sure to give clearance.
A hunting bow has a few different priorities than a bow used strictly for target, so that's a good place to start.

Manufacturers are forced to come up with "improvements" year after year to keep peoples attention. Some really are changes, but most are just the same girl in a different dress. Looks nice, but underneath nothing has changed.

If something catches your eye, check the reviews on big sites like Bowsite or Archerytalk. Lot's of good info, but like any internet research, you may have to move a lot of gravel to get a little gold.

Bow Walker
06-17-2011, 09:27 AM
A good way to get around one of those "slower, older" drop aways not getting out of the way fast enough is to always serve them into the downward moving cable. That way they are pulled out of the way by the cable action as well as the spring.

Personally I never tie my rests to the cable guard slide - I always split the buss cable and insert the cord and then serve it in. I'll even change the metallic cords on some rests just so I can do it the way I like to.

I also don't use those "clamps" to attach my cords to the cable. I'll always press the bow, split the cable and insert the cord right into and thru the cable, then tie it off so that it doesn't move.

Ruger4
06-17-2011, 10:55 AM
I'm liking the PSE Phantom drop away
I had the new ripcord on my Monster 7 and it didnt clear fast enough , may have been just that particular rest , I put a ripcord on my wifes Vendetta and its slick, works well, but I now have the Phantom on one of my bows and really like it.................

Lorne
06-18-2011, 07:32 PM
I have a QAD ultra rest on my bowtech destroyer and its been great, no problems with it not being quick enough. Tried the NAP apache rest it was really loud, the guard around the side prevents you from loading the arrow from the side, I had to feed the arrow through the middle of the rest and nock it.

Riverbc
06-19-2011, 08:15 AM
I have a QAD ultra rest on my bowtech destroyer and its been great, no problems with it not being quick enough. Tried the NAP apache rest it was really loud, the guard around the side prevents you from loading the arrow from the side, I had to feed the arrow through the middle of the rest and nock it.
I found the NAP Apache very fast and quiet. Yes, the guard prevents you from loading the arrow from the side, but also "contains" the arrow from slipping off/out of the rest...which makes it a decent rest for hunting. I found after 2 times out shooting with the Apache, the front loading became second nature, and not an issue.

(http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1284444&highlight=nap+apache+review)

Vader
06-19-2011, 03:23 PM
Limb Driver.. absolutely must clear as the limb pulls the rest away from the bow.. none of the supposed FPS lost from tieing directly to the cables. Tried the QAD and Rip Cord.. couldn't fine the sweet spot to make them work..

Bow Walker
06-19-2011, 04:00 PM
FPS loss from tying the cord into the cable?!? :shock:

Horse biscuits!! Sheep ka-ka! I've never heard that one before. Someone is pullin' on yer shank, there bud. :wink:

If, and it's big "IF", there was any FPS loss - it'd take a chrony that was able to measure in 10ths of a foot-per-second or tighter. :confused: