PDA

View Full Version : Groupings

Mike26
06-15-2011, 10:10 PM
for only using a bow 3-4 times, what kind of groupings should I expect at 50 yards with 50lbs?

Bowzone_Mikey
06-16-2011, 09:01 AM
you shouldnt .....

would you shoot a grand only using a rifle 3-4 times

Bow Walker
06-16-2011, 09:12 AM
The bow poundage doesn't affect your groupings, only your accuracy does that. You should reasonably expect to always hit a 6" pie plate at 50 yards.

By the way you have described your current groupings (in your other thread) it sounds like the little movements in your bow hand are affecting the point of impact.

Trying to hold the pin steady on the bullseye at any distance usually results in more pin movement rather than less. Grip the bow lightly, the pressure from drawing will hold it firmly in your hand and the wrist strap will keep it there after the shot. Don't actively 'grip' the bow when at full draw.

Don't concentrate on the pin - concentrate on bullseye or the tiny spot that you intend the arrow to hit, the pin will naturally follow your eye. I do what I term as a "drive-by-shooting". I know that if I try to keep the pin on the exact spot I want to hit the damned thing will jump and jitter all over. So I let the pin "float" over the bullseye - sorta like a gentle figure '8' - and the release "just happens". This method has not won me any championships or medals but it has put a lots of game into my freezer.

There are quite a number of ways of aiming. The trick is to find the one that works for you. Oh, by the way, I am not a proponent of back-tension releases for use when hunting. I don't use one for target or 3D either. I use a Fletch Hook release and I gently squeeze the trigger - I don't jerk it. Firing a trigger release is just like shooting a rifle, you got to slowly squeeze rather than pulling or jerking the trigger.

Mike26
06-16-2011, 11:10 AM
you shouldnt .....

would you shoot a grand only using a rifle 3-4 times

I says pardon! what is "grand" a reference to?

new hunter
06-16-2011, 11:12 AM
1000yrds on target

Bow Walker
06-16-2011, 01:56 PM
He means - "would you shoot at a distance of 1,000 yards and expect good groupings (or even to hit the target) after only shooting a rifle 3 - 4 times"...

Not to put words in his mouth, but that's the way I read his comment.

Bowzone_Mikey
06-16-2011, 03:14 PM
He means - "would you shoot at a distance of 1,000 yards and expect good groupings (or even to hit the target) after only shooting a rifle 3 - 4 times"...

Not to put words in his mouth, but that's the way I read his comment.
thats exactly what I ment ...in not so many words .....

My point is shoot alot up close .... 20 possibly 30 .... when you are stacking arrows at 20 and 30 consistantly then you can move back and expect decent groups ...

Mike26
06-16-2011, 09:22 PM
thats exactly what I ment ...in not so many words .....

My point is shoot alot up close .... 20 possibly 30 .... when you are stacking arrows at 20 and 30 consistantly then you can move back and expect decent groups ...

okay, cool, thank you, that helps