PDA

View Full Version : Moose/Elk hunting this fall

TooTall
06-15-2011, 05:11 PM
My husband and I would like to try Moose hunting this fall on the mainland. We are from the island and don't really have a clue as to where to go. We were hoping that some of you could shed some light on where a few good places are to go. Or even the name of a cheap guide.

Brett
06-15-2011, 05:17 PM
I would suggest getting a hunting synopsis and looking through from region to region and seeing when you want to go, and where the best season is for you. parts of 6 and 7 have liberal moose seasons, like around chetwyn/Fort S J......

moosinaround
06-15-2011, 05:19 PM
Where did you guys put your LEH's in for? There are General Open Seasons in MU7a, and 7b for moose and elk. Check the regs, and pick a spot then start researching it. Give me a shout when you decide and I can make a few suggestions. Moosin

TooTall
06-15-2011, 05:51 PM
Well we are going to go for open season as we couldn't get it together in time to put in for the draws. We were hoping for McBride, Valemont area. We don't really want to go up to the top of the province again, as we were up there 2 years in a row and got nothing. We were also thinking of going mid to late sept so that we can camp still and not freeze. We have the synopsis, I was just hoping for someone to give us a few pointers.

Truecraft
06-15-2011, 10:43 PM
Babine lake mu 6-6 is open in late October. We alway use it as our back up if leh doesnt produce any results. Most of the area around burns lake is nice hunting. Half the fun in hunting is learning new areas. Good luck

hunter1947
06-16-2011, 02:59 AM
Why not try for Bull RME elk you don't have to drive very far in order to be in a GOS area ???? put in for LEH moose every year in the years to come till one of you get picked for moose......

TooTall
06-16-2011, 10:08 AM
Thanks for all your help I will pass on the info to my husband. I don't think we will ever forget to put in for the LEH's again.

Geo.338
06-16-2011, 11:52 AM
Being that you are moose hunting for the first time .Look for open bull seasons so you do not have to count points and also look for calf openings ,I think that calf opens around October 9 . Good Luck !

TooTall
06-16-2011, 12:43 PM
Well from all the info I have read in different threads it sounds like the best place for us to go is somewhere near PG. We will forsure be going during open season. Man there is some great information on this site. We are going to have to get some supplies together before we go so that we are definately prepared for anything. We are not looking for a prize bull or anything we just want to fill the freezer mostly. Of course it would be really awesome to get a big one though.

Brett
06-16-2011, 10:20 PM
Around PG is great for moose , but, we do NOT have an open season, spike fork only, that is why I suggested a little north they have 3 brow tines or 10 point BIG ones and spike fork open??

moosinaround
06-16-2011, 10:41 PM
If you are coming up to PG, I would head 3 more hours North and hit the 7b moose season. Aug 15 till Aug 31 any bull moose. September 1 till sometime in Oct it is 10 points on 1 side, 3 brow tines or spike fork. You have a shot at a cow elk after sept 15, and 3 point or better bull elk as well. Check the regs, but that is what I would do. 7a has a spike fork season from sept 10 till nov 5, and a calf season that in some MU's starts oct 1 and lasts till oct 25. Some mu's around PG have 6 point bull elk seasons as well. Let us know what you are doing, I could steer you into a few spots if you are interested. As far as filling the freezer, beef is about 3 bucks a pound cut and wrapped, and bison is a little bit more. Moose in 7a or 7b will run ya upwards of 7 bucks per pound, so come for a camping trip, and shoot a moose while you are camping! Moosin

Drillbit
06-16-2011, 11:45 PM
What about Giscome? I hear there's a guy there, that has so much moose meat, he feeds it to his dogs.

hunter1947
06-17-2011, 03:21 AM
If you are coming up to PG, I would head 3 more hours North and hit the 7b moose season. Aug 15 till Aug 31 any bull moose. September 1 till sometime in Oct it is 10 points on 1 side, 3 brow tines or spike fork. You have a shot at a cow elk after sept 15, and 3 point or better bull elk as well. Check the regs, but that is what I would do. 7a has a spike fork season from sept 10 till nov 5, and a calf season that in some MU's starts oct 1 and lasts till oct 25. Some mu's around PG have 6 point bull elk seasons as well. Let us know what you are doing, I could steer you into a few spots if you are interested. As far as filling the freezer, beef is about 3 bucks a pound cut and wrapped, and bison is a little bit more. Moose in 7a or 7b will run ya upwards of 7 bucks per pound, so come for a camping trip, and shoot a moose while you are camping! Moosin

Good information X2..

Darksith
06-17-2011, 08:38 AM
Moose in 7a or 7b will run ya upwards of 7 bucks per pound, so come for a camping trip, and shoot a moose while you are camping! Moosin

just curious, but to get a moose butchered up that way they are charging $7/lb? Or are you just referring to the cost of the trip.

Brett
06-17-2011, 09:55 AM
he's referring to the cost of the trip all in, Moosingaround and I get it done for $.50/pound, Anyway...

Giscome is 10 min east of PG and still has the limited open discuss earlier.

If he has moose on his property and sees a spike or calf every year, well he's a lucky guy, or he has a small freezer and like to talk himself up :) does he drive a big truck? :)

Drillbit
06-17-2011, 10:18 AM
I was just teasin', I think we all know who I was talking about!

moosinaround
06-17-2011, 11:21 AM
I was just teasin', I think we all know who I was talking about!
Actually I believe he hunts the early any bull season up north, then hunts for elk up there. Moosin

moose2
06-17-2011, 12:33 PM
Your best bet for getting a moose would be on the northern opener August 15 anywhere between Chetwynd to Pink Mountain. It can be hot and crowded , but any bull is open. Use the heat of the day to walk the tree line of cut blocks to locate good moose sign. Once you have found a good feeding area show up at first light ( best on foot ) moose know what quads mean, 30 minutes past likely will be to late. If you don't see any at first light go back a couple hours before dark and wait until legal shooting light is over THE BULLS IN THESE AREAS ARE WELL HUNTED AND DON'T STAY IN THE OPEN LONG. Its hot this time of year but there are coolers around if you look into this when you pick an area you will be alright. Remember don't sleep in this time of year breakfast and a nap can come later. PM me if you need cooler info or info on specific areas.
Mike

TooTall
06-19-2011, 08:15 PM
You guys are great. Everyone one is being so helpful.

Moose2 thanks for the offer of the freezer space we may just take you up on that offer.

Does anyone know what it's like to hunt anything by One Island Lake south of Dawson. We have a friend with a cabin on that lake and may be able to use it?

moosinaround
06-19-2011, 08:19 PM

Moose2 thanks for the offer of the freezer space we may just take you up on that offer.

Does anyone know what it's like to hunt anything by One Island Lake south of Dawson. We have a friend with a cabin on that lake and may be able to use it?

Perfect area! Check the regs, but I'll bet you could find moose around there!! Moosin

gunnie2008
06-19-2011, 11:01 PM
I live in Prince George, Moose n mule deer have been feasting in my garden on turnips n cauliflower all fall shrub trees in winter. try west of PG Vanderhooof area or East Giscome, Mcbride. areas all good. get yourself some current forestry maps and ask for maps from new logging area for safety reasons. ps last years forest fires will have new growth n feed for them. happy hunting.

gunnie2008
06-19-2011, 11:13 PM
I live in Prince George, Moose n mule deer have been feasting in my garden on turnips n cauliflower all fall shrub trees in winter. try west of PG Vanderhooof area or East Giscome, Mcbride. areas all good. get yourself some current forestry maps and ask for maps from new logging area for safety reasons. ps last years forest fires will have new growth n feed for them. happy hunting.

TooTall
07-12-2011, 01:02 PM
Well it's official we got our quad 2 weeks ago so now to start planning.

Ghillie
07-12-2011, 01:05 PM
If you are coming up to PG, I would head 3 more hours North and hit the 7b moose season. Aug 15 till Aug 31 any bull moose. September 1 till sometime in Oct it is 10 points on 1 side, 3 brow tines or spike fork. You have a shot at a cow elk after sept 15, and 3 point or better bull elk as well.
x10!!!
THIS!! I was gonna say this but he already did, so I second this notion!!

CanuckShooter
07-13-2011, 09:16 AM
What about Giscome? I hear there's a guy there, that has so much moose meat, he feeds it to his dogs.

They like elk too......

I'd make sure to bring an elk tag, one of our local buddies from Dawson Creek told us that is a 'hot spot' for elk. Moose are abundant up there, the most productive method we found was to glass old logging cuts from first light in the morning...the moose bed down in them and will be getting up and moving back into the timber through out the mornings.

TooTall
09-16-2011, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the great advice. I am taking my C.O.R.E this weekend so I can hunt with the hubby next month. But we will be sticking to the island it looks like.

KB90
09-16-2011, 05:53 PM
You won't be able to go that route, as selling and buying game meat is illegal.

Does anyone know of anyone that would sell Moose meat on Vancouver Island

TooTall
09-19-2011, 01:54 PM
Oh ya I found that out this weekend.