PDA

View Full Version : Manning Park Bears..

hunter1947
06-14-2011, 03:53 AM
I was coming through Manning park on Sunday morning and almost creamed my car this stupid idiot slams on her breaks comes to a screaming halt.

Then out jumps this lady and starts running toward this sow with two cubs she gets within 50 yards and starts filming.

The sow chases the two cubs up the tree and then comes straight to wards the women she runs back to her car the bear then turns and runs back to the cubs gets them down and is gone..

mjmbc
06-14-2011, 04:45 AM
tooo funny
ya ought to try driving the icefields highway even those big tourbusses do that and all of em get out too stand in the middle of a 2 lane highway

XPEIer
06-14-2011, 06:25 AM
I used to live and work there, the bear jams are an annual occurance and sooner or later there will be people killed. I know I have done the same thing numerous times, flying down Alisson pass and come around one of those tight corners and there are cars, trucks and Rv's all over the road. Stupid people dont even pull over.

hillclimber
06-14-2011, 06:33 AM
A bunch of idiots! Glad that has never happened to me. Once a big rig slams into one of them then they will finally realize how stupid that is and they'll pull over if there is a next time.

Wood butcher
06-14-2011, 07:09 AM
Someone will want to blame the driver that hits them. There is no cure for stupid!

Tikka270wsm
06-14-2011, 07:14 AM
Sounds like a scenerio I've seen numerous times on Highway 4 from Port Alberni to Ukee/Tofino. People get so complacent with the excitement of seeing wildlife that they risk their lives as well as the other drivers lives in order to get a picture. Idiots is right!!!
One time driving through the "Hydro Hill" section of Highway 4, I came around the corner and there was a car parked in the middle of the highway on the other side of a blind corner. I actually had to drive off the highway into the ditch, hugging the cliff face in order to avoid hitting this fool. I actually hit the cliff face with the passenger side mirror that's how close I got. I gave this "China man" one hell of an earfull! He was trying to get a photo of a bear but instead almost got me killed in the process.
Glad you avoided a collision. At least you know your reflexes are still good.LOL

06-14-2011, 07:32 AM
Ya what Tikka said!
I never hit any one but my dad did and then the guy behind him hit him. The 90 degree corner Ukee side of Thunderous creek or thunderass if your local!

Iron Glove
06-14-2011, 08:46 AM
I remember as a kid in the 50's heading to the Prairies on holidays and stopping in Banff and Jasper to feed crackers to the bears through an open window in the car. There would be bus loads of people out of the bus within feet of the bears. Kodaks clicking away. :(
People are a lot smarter now and aware of the dangers involved but still the traffic jams occur. At least they tend to stay in their vehicles now.
Two weeks ago coming back from Tulameen we stopped at the Westgate "park" to walk the dogs a bit. Within a few minutes I quietly tell the wife there's a big bear about 50 feet away at the garbage cans so we packed up the mutts and off we went to the Hope Slide stop instead.

ROEBUCK
06-14-2011, 09:48 AM
just a thought !

how about keeping to the speed limit in parks.
tourists like to see wildlife and come from far away ,were theres no bears,
wildlife viewing should be expected as should crossing animals,SLOW DOWN

06-14-2011, 10:05 AM
HA HA Roebuck you are funny.
Tourists already slow us down,,, Speed isnt the problem it is stoping on a blind corner or just blindly stomping on the breaks that is!
Nice try, I can really see Wayns as a speeder.

ROEBUCK
06-14-2011, 10:34 AM
I cant see wayne as a speeder either !
But speeding through parks is prevalent and my post was generaly about that.
keep your speed down and you should be able to make it through the park without any collisions
drive safe !

06-14-2011, 10:45 AM
Well, you are right in large.
But in my 12 years of driving Ukee to Port Alberni You see some tourists do some really dumn things to look at wild life. I am not talking about Walking up to a sow and cubs to film them either. I mean stoping in bad places or at bad times.

Problem is even if you drive the speed limit when someone does something stupid like Wayne is talking about it speed has nothing to do with it. Chances are you are doing the proper speed the proper distance away from the vehicle in fron of you and yes you probably are looking at the wild life as well but when you look back foreward 3 seconds later and the guy infront of you has just slammed on his breaks.. Yer done.

hunter1947
06-15-2011, 02:09 AM
Well, you are right in large.
But in my 12 years of driving Ukee to Port Alberni You see some tourists do some really dumn things to look at wild life. I am not talking about Walking up to a sow and cubs to film them either. I mean stoping in bad places or at bad times.

Problem is even if you drive the speed limit when someone does something stupid like Wayne is talking about it speed has nothing to do with it. Chances are you are doing the proper speed the proper distance away from the vehicle in fron of you and yes you probably are looking at the wild life as well but when you look back foreward 3 seconds later and the guy infront of you has just slammed on his breaks.. Yer done.

You are right I never speed I always go just under the speed limit when there is no one behind me ,I go the max speed when someone is behind me or I pull over and let them go.

I was at my safe distance when this person come to a screeching stop and if I was not on the ball I would have hit her its a good thing I stay my safe distance when driving ,I find the worst speeders that drive the roads in BC are the people that have Alberta plats on the viecal....

RB2
06-15-2011, 11:13 AM
There are bear jams on thee Seatosky Hwy just about everyday now. Even hearing about people trying to feed them>

blindbob
06-15-2011, 07:04 PM
I have a cabin at Manning Eastgate. I see ******s slamming on brakes to take pictures of game all the time. One couple were about 30 yards to a bear and 100 yards from their camper.

BCBear
06-15-2011, 07:08 PM
You need to write a book Wayne. You always seem to have a lot of interesting encounters!

buck nash
06-15-2011, 08:04 PM
When I was in jasper on my way up to mt. edith caval, there was a grizzly sow with two cubs walking across a bridge. I couldn't believe my eyes but tourists were walking from either end of the bridge towards the bears and leaving them no way to get by except through the tourists. The bears were obviously used to this sort of stupidity cause they just walked right through the crowd and were within 5' feet of some of the people and the people just stood there filming. Lots of potential Darwin awards out there.

Everett
06-15-2011, 08:16 PM
Exact same thing happened to me on sat. in Manning cinnamon sow with with two cubs. This time it was one of those ****ing rental RVs driven by some box head. I actualy stopped and threatened to kill him if he scared a cub into the road he left in a hurry. Tourists in Rental RVs are the most dangerous thing on the road in BC

Tikka270wsm
06-15-2011, 09:02 PM
Tourists in Rental RVs are the most dangerous thing on the road in BC[/QUOTE]

X2
Ain't that the truth! Don't know the roads, the locals, the wildlife and most of all....Don't know how to drive a friggun RV!

hunter1947
06-16-2011, 03:15 AM
Exact same thing happened to me on sat. in Manning cinnamon sow with with two cubs. This time it was one of those ****ing rental RVs driven by some box head. I actualy stopped and threatened to kill him if he scared a cub into the road he left in a hurry. Tourists in Rental RVs are the most dangerous thing on the road in BC

Its a good thing we stay alert when driving it only takes a split second if your not alert I wish my Video camera battery was not dead at the time this lady did her thing I was going to film the bears with her running over to the bears and then the bear running after her LOL.

I did pull over to the side of the road after I came close to nailing her I did not want a person coming around the corner and nailing me she was still out on most of the lane when she chased after these bears.

I will be getting a new battery for my movie camera this is not the first time the battery has let me down when I start filming my scouting trips in July a need a back up movie battery..