PDA

View Full Version : Curious new guy. Really interested in Hunting.

Wilderness
06-13-2011, 10:35 PM
Hi all,

I was curious about if it's possible to be able to hunt rabbits in the lower mainland using a bow, slingshot and an Air rifle below 500fps? Or is it possible to harvest Rabbits in those methods or by trapping within the Lower Mainland?

What licenses, permits, tags or education system one has to partake or acquire to be able to do so if it's allowable(with regulations in mind of course)?

Thanks for your time,
Wilderness

dutchie
06-13-2011, 10:55 PM
Get your CORE (Glen Goldsack in Langley is the Guy I like to refer people too, great guy and is a great source of knowledge for a new hunter) and you can get your PAL aswell with him.

Then you will need to buy a license and a Fraser valley special area permit for hunting in the Fraser valley.

lots of farmers hate rabbits on their fields, i hunt them with my .410 on a few farmers fields.

Dutchie

Wilderness
06-13-2011, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the info.

new hunter
06-15-2011, 10:22 PM
Bow would be good , #30 pound range , field points . It'll be a challenge but also quite a thrill. Check the 2011 hunting synopsis , I don't think you need a licence to hunt invasive species { most rabbits in B.C.}. Good luck.

pmj
06-15-2011, 10:39 PM
Watch out for local no shooting or discharge of... Bylaws. Most areas in Metro prohibit discharge of anything including bows or (any) air rifle.

Livewire322
06-15-2011, 10:39 PM
if you have a pellet gun or shot gun and your CORE you can hunt schedule "C" animals anywhere without a licence (according to the regulations)
My point is that if you shoot a European rabbit its okay. Happy hunting

eaglesnester
06-16-2011, 06:56 AM
Some of the new pellet guns with MV of over 1200FPS would be effective on rabbits and a marksmanship challenge. A slingshot would be a somewhat usless endevor. A bow would also be effective. My dad hunted rabbits with a bow and I used a Marlin39A 22LR lever gun to hunt rabbits when I was a kid in Missouri. A more effective weapon would be a 410 shotgun. If you are using a pellet rifle with a MV of 1200FPS you need a PAL anyway so why not go with a better weapon? Don't get me wrong here a running bunney wabbit is very hard target to hit with a 410 unless you are a good shooter. Rabbits are quite tastey. I like to roll em flour and cornmeal, brown em in bacon grease, throw in some white wine, put the lid on and simmer sloooow, make a nice gravey and you got some fine eating. As has been stated on previous posts, pay attention to local bylaws and all the hunting regs and you will be good to go,

Cheers&Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester

Ambush
06-16-2011, 06:15 PM
Rabbits are quite tastey. I like to roll em flour and cornmeal, brown em in bacon grease, throw in some white wine, put the lid on and simmer sloooow, make a nice gravey and you got some fine eating.

The PERFECT way to get rid of the pests.:-D