PDA

View Full Version : First ever b- bear down! Finally!

boothcreek
06-13-2011, 03:47 PM
Finally Downed my first Blackie this weekend!!!!
My second year hunting for one of these guys and never got a crack at one until saturday in the AM.

Altogether seen 13 bears on saturday, mainly sows with cubs and quick glimpses of smaller single bears. Was out hunting by myself and decided this weekend to go on a little roadtrip a bit further from home with camping/hunting. Besides the food poisoning(store bought Smokie...... ugh, right the first night too) I got it was totally worth it!!! Was driving a log road(last ditch effort before heading home, I felt so ill) and came around a corner and seen just a big black butt sticking out of the ditch about 100 yrds in front of me. Parked the Car, and got the rifle ready but the bear dashed up the steep 15 ft bank into the trees before I could crack open the door..... Ok, Rifle on my Lap I drove past the spot real slow and there he stood about 20 yards from the edge of the trees staring at me. Stopped the car and got out and he started walking away. I put the crosshairs on him, I whistled and he turned and walked several yards towards me to check out the noise. Crosshairs on his chest and Boom! He tried to dash up the tree beside him but after about 3 feet he fell down and piled up at the roots of the neighbour tree.
Gutted him, rolled him down the steep bank(rolled right to the car, yay). Took me about 45 min to figure out how to get this sucker into the car...... but I managed to get him in -Whole-. A nice little boar, U shaped white mark on his chest and beautiful coat on him. Measured pretty close to 5'5. Not the biggest bear out there but for a first bear big enough for me! After skinning and closely examining the shot wound(right shoulder) I found my bullet didn't hit a single bone but destroyed most of the lung, the big artery along the spine and then lodged in his right hind leg, Bled out in seconds.

Anyhow, here are some pics. The field pics are rather bad since I took them with my phone and wasn't feeling too steady with being ill and excited all at the same time.
The other pic is when I got home and he was too stiff from being in the car to be posed nice. All the pics with him skinned out and me turned out totally blurry........ my mother doesn't know how to focus our camera appearantly.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a37/Pheasants4ever/firstbearwithrifle2011-1.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a37/Pheasants4ever/firstbbear2011-1.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a37/Pheasants4ever/10thjune2011026.jpg

Buckwheat
06-13-2011, 03:50 PM
very nice bear! Congrats on your first~!

Buckwheat

Steeleco
06-13-2011, 03:51 PM
Nicely done. Good looking bear, you going to do some Taxi work on it yourself?

fester
06-13-2011, 03:54 PM
awesome, nice looking bear.

boothcreek
06-13-2011, 03:57 PM
Not sure yet what I want to do with him. I might rug him, I am getting him dry-tanned in any case. Have no space for a lifesize mount or anything, honestly not even space for a rug. Might just hang him on a nail on the wall for now.

bcRack
06-13-2011, 03:57 PM
that's so cool! good for you! Awesome pictures boothcreek! I wish I could go out by myself and do that....at this point it looks like it's the only way I'm gonna get my spring bear!

demlake
06-13-2011, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the pics, and the story.

Good looking bear.

boothcreek
06-13-2011, 04:06 PM
that's so cool! good for you! Awesome pictures boothcreek! I wish I could go out by myself and do that....at this point it looks like it's the only way I'm gonna get my spring bear!

My circle of friends consists of basically 2 people, both non-hunters(you would think as a taxi apprentice I would know a few hunters... nope). No one in my family hunts either, so either I go out by myself or I get nothing.... have been reading and self teaching myself how to hunt since last spring and honestly thought I was a lost cause right about now.

boothcreek
06-13-2011, 04:11 PM
Found a pic with the skinned out bear thats not AS blurry..... also after my mother telling me i looked too serious.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a37/Pheasants4ever/11thjune2011003.jpg

bigben
06-13-2011, 04:16 PM
Hey nice bear and congratulation self taught hunter great first trophy hope there is more to come good luck excellent story and nice pictures

06-13-2011, 04:17 PM
Good work, BC.
Everything is better when you work for it! You can tell in the pic up there ^^^

nature girl
06-13-2011, 05:16 PM
Congradulations for your first bear. Nice job getting her done all by yourself.

boothcreek
06-13-2011, 06:24 PM
thanks everyone, I am still absolutly thrilled about it. I think no one expected me to actually pull it off. The Skull is boiling away as we speak and hopefully by next week I can paint it!

ques deer
06-13-2011, 08:11 PM
good job congratulations great looking bear

BCHunterTV
06-13-2011, 08:26 PM
congrats on the nice bear

SR80
06-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Nice job on your first bear, what kind of gun are you shooting there??

NaStY
06-13-2011, 08:38 PM
Wow great job. You will always remember the first kill.....

I like the little white patch on his chest.......

Maverick
06-13-2011, 08:43 PM
Congrats on the bear. Be sure to post pics of the completed rug

BillyBull
06-13-2011, 08:47 PM
Well BC for a farm girl doing it on her own that's a nice blackie for your first. Thanks for sharing your day.

moose2
06-13-2011, 10:42 PM
Really nice looking bear it will make a nice rug. Congratulations on your first animal I am sure there will be many more to follow.
Mike

hunter1947
06-14-2011, 03:43 AM
Well done on getting your first black bear as your wright up was great ,congrats to you..

boothcreek
06-14-2011, 08:31 AM
Nice job on your first bear, what kind of gun are you shooting there??

My stepdads old 30-30 lever action. Love this gun!

Thanks everyone. It was a fun weekend for sure. Seen lots of unfamiliar country too which is always nice(moved to canada 9 yrs ago from europe and I just love the diverse flora and fauna of bc!)

Fishgutz
06-14-2011, 08:53 AM
Congrats on your first bear!