PDA

View Full Version : Bow Hunting / fishing

NaStY
06-13-2011, 01:25 PM
So ive been looking into doing this. Im interested in the AMS system.

What type of bow is right for this? Will my hunting bow work?

Does anyone know who sells them in bc?

Where in the LML is good to hunt carp?

sarg
06-13-2011, 01:40 PM
hatzic lake is full of carp.

Bow Walker
06-13-2011, 03:35 PM
Burnaby Lake is another good place.

Your hunting bow will do in a pinch, but it would be better if you could set it up with the proper arrow rest and use fishing arrows, which are usually made of fiber glass and are fairly heavy. Then you need the proper killing head on the end of the arrow, and usually no fletching, and a way to retrieve your arrow with the wriggling fish on the end of it, and....the list goes on.

I'd phone a few places to see who has any bow fishing gear, places like Boormans, Big Game, and the like.

NaStY
06-13-2011, 03:41 PM
In case you didnt know, this is what comes in the kit.

http://www.amsbowfishing.com/index.php/ams-retriever-pro-combo-kit.html

And no im not advertising for them, just want info as to what bow fishing is like.....

BlackwaterHunter
06-13-2011, 04:34 PM
check out 3riversarchery

knockturnal
06-13-2011, 05:47 PM
check out my post in the fishing section.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?68086-Bow-Fishing-success!!!-Hooorah!

I have 2 bows set up with the ams system and its an awesome. One for me and one for my GF. I pounded a bunch of carp this past weekend and its addicting like crazy. A little bit of a pain in the ass to get used to but they work awesome. I went out twice before hand for a few hours and couldnt hit a thing. I put a sight with 1 pin on, sighted it in to 10 yards in the back yard, went out the next day and smashed them. it was great. i fully recommend it. I would get another bow though. I dropped mine in the shitty water, hung it on a barb wire fence and got fish blood and scales all over it. i dont think the smell will come out. haha.

NaStY
06-14-2011, 09:03 AM
check out my post in the fishing section.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?68086-Bow-Fishing-success!!!-Hooorah! (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?68086-Bow-Fishing-success%21%21%21-Hooorah%21)

I have 2 bows set up with the ams system and its an awesome. One for me and one for my GF. I pounded a bunch of carp this past weekend and its addicting like crazy. A little bit of a pain in the ass to get used to but they work awesome. I went out twice before hand for a few hours and couldnt hit a thing. I put a sight with 1 pin on, sighted it in to 10 yards in the back yard, went out the next day and smashed them. it was great. i fully recommend it. I would get another bow though. I dropped mine in the shitty water, hung it on a barb wire fence and got fish blood and scales all over it. i dont think the smell will come out. haha.

It was your post that got me and the kids going. Looks like it could be lots of fun. Did you have your AMS systems shipped from the states?

knockturnal
06-14-2011, 07:01 PM
nope. Got them both from Hardcore Archery here in town. He keeps them in stock for people like us. I researched into doing the closed face spinning reel thing and by the time it was said and done with the reel, reel seat, little rod, line, rest and arrows, i was better off to just buy the kit. Plus, those AMS reels are idiot proof. As long as you keep the arrow slide in front of your rest, its almost next to impossible to screw it up. I made that mistake when sighting in the fiances bow and the arrow ended up in the neighbours yard. haha.

NaStY
06-14-2011, 07:23 PM
I was in there store a couple years ago. Nice people and a neat store. Heard they had a bow range upstairs for trying out new bows. They dont list anything on there web site. Oh well, i pretty much know what I want. I just need to get it and spend some time setting it up........

Rectifier
06-14-2011, 07:56 PM
Burnaby lake even eh? Maybe I'll drop by Hardcore on the drive home and check out the AMS gear. Going to need to find a crappy bow though.