PDA

View Full Version : scouting

iwing
06-13-2011, 11:59 AM
I am planning on hunting mule deer up high this year in the 8-23 area. I am wondering what the deer up there will be eating july, august and september and what are everyones favorite land features to glass over when looking for the deer. Where will deer up high prefer to bed down as well. Will they look for thick cover or will they bed in the open but hiden behind logs and rocks. If anyone is willing to share any migration details or any details about this area I would love to hear some local knowledge.

Thanks

Isaac

hunter1947
06-14-2011, 04:07 AM
Deer will be eating grass and browse on twigs and old mans beard late mornings the deer get lots of water from the food they eat grass etc ,look for there beading areas on shaded sides..

iwing
06-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Thanks alot, I have watched them eating old mans beard.

jeff
06-14-2011, 07:30 PM
obviosly glass the timber edges and up high alpine openings and they will bed down on timber edges or just inside the timber look behind stumps right at timber edge very hard to pick out but ive shot numberous deer bedded down lots of glassing time needed though GOOD LUCK

mark
06-14-2011, 09:26 PM
Thanks alot, I have watched them eating old mans beard.

That is winter range feed, they dont eat that in the summer!

M.Dean
06-14-2011, 09:35 PM
That is winter range feed, they dont eat that in the summer! I watched Deer eating that Beard stuff off trees well they were standing in thick, lush green grass! There must be some thing in it that they really like, the green grass looked like a way better meal too me. I should have lots of pictures with a couple young Deer eating that stuff early in the season, late Sept and Oct, I'll try to find them and post them.

dana
06-14-2011, 09:37 PM
Summer feed is the lush flowers of the highcountry. Lupine seems to be a favorite. Bedding zones are up high where the wind is strong enough to knock the bugs back. Remember those velvet covered antlers are full of blood right now and those slick summer coats don't resist the onslaught of the hoards of bugs too well. Wind is the friend of a High Country muley. Bedding areas high up with a good commanding view is preferable. Always amazes me seeing them bed where the mountain goats play.