PDA

View Full Version : Good Sunday Night in Squamish- Bear, Big Buck and Spotted Doe

TheProvider
06-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Was out most the weekend but Sunday night was awesome. Trying to see if I could cut my second bear tag I headed out to my first spot. Spotting a small 5' bear I watched him for a couple minutes and let him go.

Off to check a swamp that I've seen deer and bears in. Just nearing the end of the swamp there stands a big old blacktail. He walked like a 14 yr old dog with arthritis. His velvet antlers were really wide with 8-9 inches of heavey mass antler on the right side. There was a big knob where the velvet antler was just about to fork. His left side was the same mass nice and thick but only around 5 inches of growth. Just as I was taking my camera out of my pocket a smaller buck busted into the small clearing and they both took off. Hope see his antlers fully grown. A trail cam will be going up in his vicinity.

So after that I was pretty excited for Sept I decided to check out a small cut. Drove into seeing nothing I turned around and just as I began to drive again I spotted what appeared to be a deer head looking over a ridge at me. Grabbed my binoculars and gave it a look. "Doe"... double take... "SPOTTED DOE!!" She had white spots the size of golf balls all over her neck. I moved forward a little bit hoping to see her broadside but no luck. A fawn stepped out from behind her. I grabbed my camera and snapped a couple pics but with her being 120yrds away and it being dusk the pics are just dark and blurry.

All in all a great night to be in the woods :D

moose2
06-13-2011, 11:55 PM
Sounds like a good evening , hope you catch up with the bt buck this fall sounds like it may be his last winter.
Mike

TheProvider
06-14-2011, 06:33 PM
Ya I'm guessing it'll his last, if not for me knocking him down I'm sure a coyote/ wolf or cougar will get him

walks with deer
07-07-2011, 10:53 PM
funny

I saw a pure white do near squamish this spring.

TheProvider
07-07-2011, 10:54 PM
Its the first spotted one I've seen

walks with deer
07-13-2011, 12:19 PM
sumas mountain in abbotsford has them my dad chased one he called pinto for years it was a decent buck

my freinds mom has one eat her roses its not fallow its a blacktail I will see if I can get my hands on the pics you would not believe it.