PDA

View Full Version : crow shoot today & (rabbit)

Livewire322
06-11-2011, 05:31 PM
Went on a crow shoot today
Woke up a 3:20, my hunting partner wanted to leave later than planned so i went back home. go back to Freds house and load my pack into his truck, then Steve shows up, I introduced my self to Steve and then jumped into his jeep with my shotgun.
So now we are on our way to shoot some crows. We get out to the FReds buddies farm around 6:00 set up by a fence line with an owl decoy and some little crow decoys.
we weren't even sitting for 10 minutes when a crow comes flying over, BOOOM, feathers everywhere and the first dead crow of the day.

We were sitting down for around an hour more when i noticed a european rabbit -Oryctolagus cuniculus- (schedual C animal) pointed the rabbit out to Fred and Steve. Steve and i decided to walk over and investigate. Steve saw the rabbit dip into a little area between small hills, so he went to the left while i went straight at its last known position.
sure enough theres a rabbit sitting and looking at Steve totally unaware of my presence. So I take aim at maybe 10 yards aiming a little high hoping to dust him with the 12 gauge; and missed, so i cycle in a new round, the rabbit is not moving at all and BOOOOOOM, bulls eye right in the head. As we were walking back we noticed a second rabbit along a fence line to the north and went after it as well not wanting to leave it alone without its mate, however it had no interests in dealing with this 6'1" Elmer Fud and took of into the black berries not to be seen again.

We went back and sat in our little area blasting crows for a couple hours more. we set a bunch of dead crows up as decoys even hung one up on the pole with the owl and moved it out into the field. this got some attention from the crows which alowed us to add to our little collection. Steve shot 6 crows I shot 4 and Fred decided to let us have all the fun.
We murdered a murder of crows, feeling confident that i had completed my civil duty for the week, we packed up and went home at 12 noon.

Livewire322
06-11-2011, 05:35 PM
http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z386/livewire322/

just copy and paste it into your search bar cause i cant get this photo upload thing to work!!!

Johnnybear
06-12-2011, 08:35 PM
http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z386/livewire322/IMG_0702.jpg

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z386/livewire322/IMG_0700.jpg

Rectifier
06-12-2011, 09:45 PM
I take it from the mention of Fred that this was the Sapperton shoot? Me and the wife were gonna bust some crows but I'm out of town and she's not that comfortable hunting by herself. Hopefully they'll put on another one soon and maybe i'll see you out there!

You look pretty happy with that rabbit, hope it turned out good when you cooked it up!

Livewire322
06-12-2011, 10:01 PM
I froze the rabbit.

Fred was talking about another shoot next weekend as well as the weekend after.
I will be out of town for next weekend but will definitely be at the one on the 25 if he hosts one.

Allen50
06-12-2011, 10:21 PM
what is it you do with the crow, make crow pie, you know you shoot it you eat it, just wounder,,????

Rectifier
06-12-2011, 10:30 PM
In this case you shoot it because it eats things you eat - a single crow can result in the loss of over 100 ducks a year through eating ducklings and duck eggs. Not to mention songbirds, grains, fruits...
GVRD is massively overpopulated with crows, they blacken the sky in parts of town every day as they migrate to their nesting grounds.

I've heard of people eating them but I would never eat a garbage bird like that, not around the city where they eat so much trash! Most people don't eat yotes and I've never heard of eating a wolf... same idea

Edit: Didn't mention I'll be driving back next weekend but good to go on the next one, hope the weather holds up and Fred is game for more crow shootin'

Livewire322
06-12-2011, 10:48 PM
what is it you do with the crow, make crow pie, you know you shoot it you eat it, just wounder,,????

as much as i do follow this policy i dont with crows. I've eaten robin but wouldnt try eating a crow you know bird flu and all plus garbage eating. I know british people eat rook pie (crow pie)
if you want i will send you some as a gift?
they provide a good challenge and good training for shooters.

Allen50
06-12-2011, 11:02 PM
was just asking, i never shot crows, had no reason, yea we were tough if you shoot it , you should be perpeard to eat it, so don"t shoot something you don"t want to eat, so never shot crows, or other birds, grouse yes, yummy, i was just asking, heard of crow pie, so i asked, did not know they went after duck eggs etc, even being old like me we learn new things, and to each his owne, i never shot ducks, don"t like the tast, yea tryed it but did not care for it, cougar meat is good to eat, shot one eating my friends sheep once, and just for me if i:m going to shoot it, i would try it,, its ok if the guys like to shoot crow i don"t have a problem with it, was just asking something and got a answer, good luck shooting,, i was not putting them down or anything in that way,, all is cool... thanks,,,

Rectifier
06-12-2011, 11:24 PM
I'm the same way Allen, just not with crows!
We are all so prepared to defend our sport against the anti's that we can end up squabbling amongst ourselves.

I personally don't even 'catch and release' other than illegal or dink fish - I was always taught that if you are going to go out and hurt something, you should finish the job and eat it.

But if you have a shotgun and some spare time, crows are like free skeet and you don't even have to toss them :D

hoochie
06-18-2011, 11:13 AM
I'm in Langley and we see 40-50 crows fly by our place every night. I try to count them as they pass over, but there are way too many to count. Crows are a neussance, and there are thousands of them in the Fraser Valley. I havent shot one in a long time, but if there was a "crow shoot" I would enjoy taking part.

NorthShoreX
07-17-2011, 04:28 PM
I too would take part in a crow shoot if there was one put together.

bogtrotter
07-18-2011, 11:59 AM
From the Hunting Regulations "Schedule "C" animals can be captured or killed anywhere and at any time in BC."
Crows are Schedule C. Your government is asking you to kill crows !!

seanps
07-18-2011, 01:35 PM
Seriously? Crow shoots?

I guess I may have considered it when I was a teenager, but now that I know about the birds' incredible intelligence, I wouldn't be sitting out in a field blasting them for fun on the mistaken belief that killing a handful that live and feed dozens of kilometres away will have any meaningful impact on duck populations.

limit time
07-18-2011, 02:43 PM
Went on a crow shoot today
Woke up a 3:20, my hunting partner wanted to leave later than planned so i went back home. go back to Freds house and load my pack into his truck, then Steve shows up, I introduced my self to Steve and then jumped into his jeep with my shotgun.
So now we are on our way to shoot some crows. We get out to the FReds buddies farm around 6:00 set up by a fence line with an owl decoy and some little crow decoys.
we weren't even sitting for 10 minutes when a crow comes flying over, BOOOM, feathers everywhere and the first dead crow of the day.

We were sitting down for around an hour more when i noticed a european rabbit -Oryctolagus cuniculus- (schedual C animal) pointed the rabbit out to Fred and Steve. Steve and i decided to walk over and investigate. Steve saw the rabbit dip into a little area between small hills, so he went to the left while i went straight at its last known position.
sure enough theres a rabbit sitting and looking at Steve totally unaware of my presence. So I take aim at maybe 10 yards aiming a little high hoping to dust him with the 12 gauge; and missed, so i cycle in a new round, the rabbit is not moving at all and BOOOOOOM, bulls eye right in the head. As we were walking back we noticed a second rabbit along a fence line to the north and went after it as well not wanting to leave it alone without its mate, however it had no interests in dealing with this 6'1" Elmer Fud and took of into the black berries not to be seen again.

We went back and sat in our little area blasting crows for a couple hours more. we set a bunch of dead crows up as decoys even hung one up on the pole with the owl and moved it out into the field. this got some attention from the crows which alowed us to add to our little collection. Steve shot 6 crows I shot 4 and Fred decided to let us have all the fun.
We murdered a murder of crows, feeling confident that i had completed my civil duty for the week, we packed up and went home at 12 noon.

Nice reference to David Shatzuki!

limit time
07-18-2011, 02:47 PM
Seriously? Crow shoots?

I guess I may have considered it when I was a teenager, but now that I know about the birds' incredible intelligence, I wouldn't be sitting out in a field blasting them for fun on the mistaken belief that killing a handful that live and feed dozens of kilometres away will have any meaningful impact on duck populations.
Thats fine, i'll take your spot! More for me the better, killing crows is fun!

walnutz
07-18-2011, 03:24 PM
Id love to do this anytime also!!! Please send me a pm if your getting another one together!! Cheers

Peter Pepper
07-18-2011, 04:31 PM
I shot a stump the other day, don't wanna eat it though

BlackwaterMerc
09-05-2011, 08:05 PM
I shot a stump the other day, don't wanna eat it though

Thats what I was thinking!

Mr. Dean
09-07-2011, 10:55 AM
I use crow for fertilizer. I can't even fathom the number I've killed.

Shocking?
No, not once you're informed on the species and why it's needed to hunt them.... The Net Result is all about Conservation.