PDA

View Full Version : Wildlife Biologists

Fallen Timber
06-09-2011, 06:46 PM
Hey guys,

I'm wondering if anyone on here knows about the best way to get in touch with wildlife biologists. I've heard this is a good way to find out more about the areas and animals you hunt, specifically about population trends, feed, migrations, the rut, etc. I`m looking to become a more successful hunter but also have a genuine interest in this stuff.

Not really sure if I should be looking for MoE biologists or if they are employed by a different ministry like Natural Resource Operations. I'm especially interested in talking to someone based in the EKs about elk. If you guys have any experience with this and how to go about it I`d love to hear it.

Thanks in advance.

boxhitch
06-09-2011, 07:59 PM
If it is elk biology info you are after, there is some info available on the Gov BC website. Some specific to the koots. .....env.gov.bc.ca/kootenay/emp/emp.htm
Then there are the several thousand other hits on a Google search.

What you are after would take a very long phone call to get across, I wouldn't ask anyone to try that.

NaStY
06-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Get involved with your local BCWF and or hunting clubs. Lots of info out there.........

Gun Dog
06-09-2011, 10:03 PM
Start by e-mailing FishandWildlife@gov.bc.ca. They don't bite.

BromBones
06-09-2011, 10:15 PM
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/main/regions.html - should get you some phone #'s to start with, and go from there.

www.envmail@gov.bc.ca - fire them an e-mail and ask for specific ph #, or e-mail address for the regional biologist you want to get a hold of. E-mail is usually your best bet.

Fisher-Dude
06-10-2011, 06:09 AM
Get involved with your local BCWF and or hunting clubs. Lots of info out there.........

The best advice so far. Work with the bios through your club and you'll learn a pile of info from them. There are also lots of people within local clubs/regions that are on wildlife and FHAC committees that have reams of info on all species of animals and their management. I'm sure your local committee is looking for people like you to help with game management/stewardship projects.

Darksith
06-10-2011, 07:50 AM
most of the info you seek is probably available through google. You just gotta figure out the correct wording and questions. Its pretty easy to learn an animals prefered feed (mule deer region 3 = blue bunch wheat grass) then you gotta find that food source (forest fires remove vegetation, blue bunch wheat grass is 1 of the first plants to return to a burn site), 2-5 year old burns are great places to find concentrations of deer in region 3. Other things to learn are migration patterns, mating habits etc etc. Most biologists publicize their research/knowledge, but I agree that its tough to beat the face to face chat over a coffee, and the above posts have great ideas to hook up with the people you seek. Good luck.

Fallen Timber
06-11-2011, 11:33 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm actually in the process of moving back to the Okanagan and joining my local fish and game club when I'm back home is at the top of my list.

I'll try and fire off a couple of emails and hopefully get some dialogue going. I've done a bit of the google thing but I've seen enough scientific studies and papers for now, I'm hoping to get some anecdotal and down to earth info.