PDA

View Full Version : *** are you into ELK hunting? ***

pse&remington
06-09-2011, 02:45 PM
Just trying to expand my research regarding ELK hunting for this year. This year will be my second time out ELK hunting and am looking forward to our trip out to the EAST KOOTENAYS for 2011 season.

We are not sure where the ELK hunting is best and are looking for any ideas and suggestions you may have, we have never hunted in the Kootenays but are really excited to go ELK hunting.

Not looking for way points to your secret hunting grounds but trying to get some sort of idea that we are heading in the right direction.

Want to have a great trip, and want to plan as much as we can, so if you could please help.

So far we are looking towards Elk Valley and the Bull River anything else is really appreciated. I hear the Tuchodi is the place to go but finnancial it does not work at this time.

specbelly
06-09-2011, 03:16 PM
Elk Valley is good area, also area around Canal Flats. South/east of Cranbrooke as well. Elk are all over that part of the country, just need to get off the raod and spend some time at it. Watch for Griz, they like the sound of gun shots, it's thier dinner bell

Marc
06-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Elk Valley is good area, also area around Canal Flats. South/east of Cranbrooke as well. Elk are all over that part of the country, just need to get off the raod and spend some time at it. Watch for Griz, they like the sound of gun shots, it's thier dinner bell

The also come into elk calling as well as we found out last fall. Watch your backs out there guys what you think is a bull elk coming into your call could surprise you.

IslandHunterBXL
06-09-2011, 04:39 PM
wear and orange hat! was last out that way 2 years ago and every trail i went down, around every corner, and top of every hill i ran into other hunters. never seen so many ppl in the bush. get on the bugle and get hootchie mamma's firing back at ya from everywhere. scary stuff! Good luck though, nice landscape to hunt out there

pse&remington
06-09-2011, 11:11 PM
Good to hear the area is Elk Country, thats what I wanted to hear. The plan to just get in there, spot & call was just what we were planning. Thanks on the Grizzly heads up, we were thinking of bow hunting so i guess we'll make sure theres a rifle on back up.

The Dude
06-09-2011, 11:15 PM
It's ELK country, but it's also HUNTER country out there. I gave up HUNTING in the EAST KOOTS because of so many damn HUNTERS!
A friend got an ELK in CANAL FLATS last 3 out of 4 years, so that might be good.
Also I would hunt for ELK in the WEST KOOTS as it's open now, and I heard it's crawling with huge ELK.......might have to go there myself.
Hope this HELPS!
DUDE!

Weatherby Fan
06-09-2011, 11:21 PM
We go to the Cranbrook area,lots of grizzly also,had a few run in's with them and been charged once at very close range.didn't end well !
What time of the year are you planning a trip for ?
WF
PM sent

pse&remington
06-09-2011, 11:25 PM
Thanks Dude what is considered West Kootenay, WF we were thinking on the first two weeks of October

Spy
06-09-2011, 11:42 PM
It's ELK country, but it's also HUNTER country out there. I gave up HUNTING in the EAST KOOTS because of so many damn HUNTERS!
A friend got an ELK in CANAL FLATS last 3 out of 4 years, so that might be good.
Also I would hunt for ELK in the WEST KOOTS as it's open now, and I heard it's crawling with huge ELK.......might have to go there myself.
Hope this HELPS!
DUDE!
LOL:wink::wink::-D

Spy
06-09-2011, 11:44 PM
We go to the Cranbrook area,lots of grizzly also,had a few run in's with them and been charged once at very close range.didn't end well !
What time of the year are you planning a trip for ?
WF
PM sent
Any story or link to It? Hunting season is along ways away!

The Dude
06-09-2011, 11:45 PM
Thanks Dude what is considered West Kootenay, WF we were thinking on the first two weeks of October
Creston and Castlegar. Was LEH for years, but now it's GOS (Open Season). If you get around the NIMBYs, it can be a good tough ELK hunt, I hear.

Kalum
06-10-2011, 06:23 AM
I've heard it's a little nutso for hunters down there, is it the same during the Sept 5 archery season?

Fisher-Dude
06-10-2011, 06:31 AM
I've heard it's a little nutso for hunters down there, is it the same during the Sept 5 archery season?

Worse. From what I've heard, BOW hunters shoot at any movement they think might be an ELK coming in to their ELK call. Be very cautious when hunting ELK in a BOW season, there's nothing worse than an ARROW in your ASS!

sawmill
06-10-2011, 06:34 AM
wear and orange hat! was last out that way 2 years ago and every trail i went down, around every corner, and top of every hill i ran into other hunters. never seen so many ppl in the bush. get on the bugle and get hootchie mamma's firing back at ya from everywhere. scary stuff! Good luck though, nice landscape to hunt out there

That`s why I will never hunt the Bull River area.I could tell you where I hunt but then I`d have to kill you.

sawmill
06-10-2011, 06:35 AM
Worse. From what I've heard, BOW hunters shoot at any movement they think might be an ELK coming in to their ELK call. Be very cautious when hunting ELK in a BOW season, there's nothing worse than an ARROW in your ASS!

Hee Hee! Shit disturber.:mrgreen:

Darksith
06-10-2011, 07:29 AM
Lots of areas in and around jaffery, but again lots of people. If your not afraid to get out and hike up high you will see less hunters, and depending on the temps, that might be where you want to be in the first week of oct. Find a heard of cows, you will know there is a bull in there somewhere, then you just gotta count to 6.

Mikey Rafiki
06-10-2011, 09:44 AM
Get up..... way up, just at the tree line. I hunted many weeks last season without running into anyone, you just gotta use them damn legs.

bforce750
06-10-2011, 10:13 AM
Just come up and explore., you will find elk and deer in almost all areas .Cranbrook, canal flats,kimberley, elk vally, wasa,wherever. Get out walk and call early morning ...don't go buy a hoochie mama...they elk know that one..lol

bforce750
06-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Dont waste your time in the heat of the day ...go fishing unless its cool or overcast and raining..take my advise!!!

d6dan
06-10-2011, 11:37 AM
The also come into elk calling as well as we found out last fall. Watch your backs out there guys what you think is a bull elk coming into your call could surprise you.

I heard about that Incident Marc. G bears love eaten elk too!..Pulling the trigger is no different than calling, its like ringing the dinner bell.

J_T
06-10-2011, 11:43 AM
Beauty. That's only because you wear your HBC hat when your in the EK and the majority of bowhunters are actually aiming at you.

J_T
06-10-2011, 11:47 AM
We call in a few Grizzlies every year with either calls or kills. It simply goes with the territory. Have enjoyed seeing and experiencing lots of grizzlies up close and personal over the years. Highly recommend maintaining calm at the time. So far it's always ended well.

The Dude
06-10-2011, 11:50 AM
Beauty. That's only because you wear your HBC hat when your in the EK and the majority of bowhunters are actually aiming at you.

It's all those Union-Member NDP Card-Carrying Crossbow Hunters. (All three go together), gunning for the elusive FD.
Judging by his promiscuous posting habits though, it seems he's rarely out of his computer-equipped Man-Cave. http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Heliox18/111smileychubbyhilarious.gif

Oh yeah, and ELK!

CanuckShooter
06-10-2011, 11:51 AM

When it's like that find yourself a spot with a nice view and sit on it....all those hootchie mamma packing boys will push some elk your way!!

Fisher-Dude
06-10-2011, 12:13 PM
It's all those Union-Member NDP Card-Carrying Crossbow Hunters. (All three go together), gunning for the elusive FD.
Judging by his promiscuous posting habits though, it seems he's rarely out of his computer-equipped Man-Cave. http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Heliox18/111smileychubbyhilarious.gif

Oh yeah, and ELK!

The crossbow guys love me. They are all road hunters too. It's those traditional guys that hunt me down!

It's funny - ran into a guy when we were launching our boats last weekend, and he sees my "Huntshoot" hat - he asks if I'm also on HBC. "Yep", I tell him. "What's your handle?" he asks. I say, "Well, maybe I shouldn't say, 'cause I'm a bit of a shit disturber." He says, "Are you Fisher-Dude?!?!?!"

True story. Out of 10,000 people on this site. Yikes!

Says he always wanted to meet me in person. :D

06-10-2011, 12:21 PM
So who was he? :)
some times that is just as important when it comes to you FD

Fisher-Dude
06-10-2011, 12:22 PM
MGNM300

Great guy!

The Dude
06-10-2011, 12:22 PM
Don't tell me it was Jelvis, or I'll crap my pants.

Fisher-Dude
06-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Jelvis lives in Vegas.

http://www.webitsmart.co.uk/billed.asp?PrivatBilled=6647569

J_T
06-10-2011, 08:22 PM
The crossbow guys love me. They are all road hunters too. It's those traditional guys that hunt me down!

It's funny - ran into a guy when we were launching our boats last weekend, and he sees my "Huntshoot" hat - he asks if I'm also on HBC. "Yep", I tell him. "What's your handle?" he asks. I say, "Well, maybe I shouldn't say, 'cause I'm a bit of a shit disturber." He says, "Are you Fisher-Dude?!?!?!"

Says he always wanted to meet me in person. :D I don't know if I need to meet you (unless it's to pull my traditional wood arrow out of your butt) but based on your tenacity I probably wouldn't mind you doing my taxes.

jeff
06-10-2011, 08:59 PM
the findlay creek main outa canal flats is a good spot

300H&H
06-11-2011, 09:27 AM

Says he always wanted to meet me in person. :D

Who doesn't want to meet the great FD !

Movingdirt
06-11-2011, 10:12 PM
Region 8 elk herd is growing bigger and better every year. Chetwynd, Tumbler areas have good elk. Kootenays are always good. Elk love thick, steep, nasty stuff when pushed. Elk love thick, steep, nasty stuff when not pushed. They also like the shady side of a mountain when its hot. Gullies with running water and thick cover are a favorite. I do not advise shooting an elk in the evening and packing it out the next day. Stay up all night and get it done if possible.

GoatGuy
06-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Lots of spots with lots of elk and no resident hunters. Findlay is a good spot so is Dutch creek, be sure to say hi to bill. There was a handle on here before, think it was walkingslaughterhouse or something like that who gave up plenty of good spots to look.

Loads of country in the ek and most of it has no resident huters, just a matter if laying down some boot leather.

Jelvis
06-11-2011, 10:31 PM
If your in Cranbrook area hunt the Jim Smith Lake area, and do some calling, and hunt.
It's close and a heck of an area for elk hunters ..
Jella peeno .. You heard it here 1st .. Jim Smith Lake .. You gotta see it 2 b leave it ..
Please don't tell no one about the lake tho for the big bull elk there ok .. Tanks a mil

nicholasbardon
06-12-2011, 08:21 AM
Last year was my first year as well, went out in mu 8 near Christina lake. We found the elk but couldn't find a 6+ bull (required in this area) This year I am going all out, I've been doing a lot of reading and picked out a few areas, would be happy to exchange notes and recommend some books. Think I will be heading way up the bull river area, for bow season see if I can't minimize my contact with the crowds. Ill send you a pm later today or you are welcome to do the same if you have specific questions. Who knows maybe we can help each other............