PDA

View Full Version : Local Outfitters?

ncaufield
06-09-2011, 12:26 PM
Hey Guys

So this year is my first hunting season. Purchased my rifle and been taking it to the range. I live in Vancouver so I was curious about outfitters? Any recommendations? Some people here have been kind enough to offer to take me out. Should I just do that or is there something to going out with a guide for the first time? One issue with that is all the outfitters I have see are like $5000US.

Foxton Gundogs
06-09-2011, 12:34 PM
You'll learn way more by going out with experienced "buddies" I think they will be more prone to share the good stuff with you. IMO

Jelvis
06-09-2011, 12:36 PM
What yah hunting for, I mean what species of animal?

ncaufield
06-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Deer, moose, bear. But anything really. I want to learn everything. It is the culture of hunting that has attracted me, not any specific species.

Mr. Dean
06-09-2011, 01:24 PM
Deer, moose, bear. But anything really. I want to learn everything. It is the culture of hunting that has attracted me, not any specific species.

I'd just get on out there and go solo if I had to. You'll learn tons of stuff that way too.

ncaufield
06-09-2011, 01:43 PM
I'd just get on out there and go solo if I had to. You'll learn tons of stuff that way too.

Except I wouldn't know the first thing to do if I saw something ie. cleaning, quartering, transporting etc. :)

mjmbc
06-09-2011, 01:48 PM
better and cheaper to go with an expd guy , if you dont know what to do , get et a book on butchering game meat etc maybe start small with birds rabbits then work on doing a deer bear etc. where ya from i will take ya along with me

mjmbc
06-09-2011, 01:50 PM
oops sorry isee vancouver thers lots of ppl there im sure that will take you out

Jelvis
06-09-2011, 02:34 PM
At least when you start out you won't be looking for a certain size, like a trophy.
You want the culture, that's good too. Sounds like you got the means for going if you can afford a pro guide.
If I was trying for the experience of the outdoors and a chance at a deer I would try October in any buck in region 3.
You should go with an experienced hunter at first if you meet some at the range or near where you live or from the site here. Make arrangements for October and use a camper, tent or rent a cabin in advance for a long weekend or say for four days.
Red Lake area or Tunkwa Lake area and you'll have a good time seeing some wonderful hunting country near other people in the area.
Take a look on this site for the cabin rentals at Red Lake near Kamloops in region 3 for instance or in region 8 just east of Princeton. Fine people and can inform you what's going on at the area they use.
Cost would be reasonable and a good time around hunter friendly people willing to assist you as well in your hunting adventure.
This site has all the info a new hunter could use, for preparing a downed animal for the table.
Good luck to you and the best in hunting B.C.
Jel

FirePower
06-09-2011, 03:14 PM
PM me if you like.

jonz
06-09-2011, 05:06 PM
There's a lot of videos you can learn stuff from on the net, just do some searching. Even plenty showing field dressing etc. Good luck

Moose Guide
06-09-2011, 06:05 PM
Just find a buddy and go, no need to hire a guide!!! $5000 is a cheap hunt but you can do it way cheaper, save your money for your own gear instead of buying a hunt.

hellojello74
06-09-2011, 06:11 PM
some outfitters give discounted rates for residents, and other rates for meat hunts, just a thought. There is also a thing to be said about learning from someone who does it more than once or twice a year.

Darksith
06-10-2011, 07:40 AM
I wouldn't go with a guide, once you get some experience in the woods, a few like minded friends and some desire, you can guide yourself via a fly in hunt to some spectacular areas for much cheaper than a guided hunt, and hopefully with the same result. Spend your cash on your equipment that will last you a life time. If you just want to go hunting this fall, Im in kamloops and I'd be happy to take you to some spots where we will definitely see deer, and if we are lucky a big 1, and also a chance for an immature moose or bear. Its just too easy to go back your first animal, no need to pay so much money when the thrill will be the same no matter the size. PM me if you like.