PDA

View Full Version : Where's your secret spot?

mijinkal
06-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Ok guys, I'm not going to beat around the bush here. I want to know an awesome lake to take the family out fishing in 2 weeks. Is it too much to ask for your secret spot?

OK, maybe not your super secret spot, but your second favorite spot ... or third?
I have a small camper and a canoe and will travel up to 4 hours from Langley to get to a nice quiet lake with some fish in it. I'm only going up for the weekend so I don't want to drive for too long. I don't care how many fish are there, just enough for the kids to catch a couple.

I know the drill; I should go out exploring to find a lake of my own, but I'm clueless when it comes to lake fishing. I can catch salmon out of the Fraser, Vedder and the Pacific but I haven't done much in the terms of lake fishing. Most of the remote lakes I've been to, I spend the time looking on the other side of them for moose and deer, not looking for fish in them.
Don't worry, I won't be telling everybody ... or really anybody about the lake if it's that remote.

To show my appreciation, I will post a full report with pictures of the weekend (minus the lake location) if you'd like. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Al

mjmbc
06-09-2011, 09:52 AM
go to skull or prosser just past princeton lots of nice fish there follow the powerline up and theres another secret lake fairly high up i think its a mile high

moosinaround
06-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Check out the 100 mile house area. Any of the big lakes Canim ect. The Lakes between Little Fort and Blue River North of Kamloops seem nice too. Maybe a little too touristy for ya though??. Moosin

sarg
06-09-2011, 10:19 AM
i like to take the family shea lake it is off the kane valley road at the cold water ext of the coquihalla. i live in mission and it take us about 2h to get there with my truck and camper. it a very nice little lake and the fishing is not bad either. it has a little dock witch the kids can swim from lots of room for the kids to ride bike and run around, i have a young family so it works great for us.
good luck with ur spot.
sarg:)

newhunterette
06-09-2011, 10:24 AM
Check out the 100 mile house area. Any of the big lakes Canim ect. The Lakes between Little Fort and Blue River North of Kamloops seem nice too. Maybe a little too touristy for ya though??. Moosin

hey dont be telling my secret places mister grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr just kidding

its a bit longer a drive heading up to 100 mile way but I can honestly say the best dang fishing in them little interlakes in the area

srupp
06-09-2011, 10:25 AM
hmmm Helena lake west of Lac la hache..good fishinfg ..nice campground lots of trails for hiking or quading...

steven

Weatherby Fan
06-09-2011, 10:45 AM
Loon Lake just past Cache Creek,I've been going there since I was a todler and the trout never stop jumping and the fishing is awesome in June.
PM me if you need more info.
WF

lovemywinchester
06-09-2011, 10:50 AM
Go to Tunkwa Lake resort. 3 hours from Van. Cheap camping, store, shower house, inexpensive cabins if its crappy out, quad and dirt bike friendly. Nice quiet place and easy to get to. Playground for the young ones. Leighton lake is right there and better fishing than Tunkwa. I stayed there all last summer, its a nice spot for they family and NO Yahoos.

http://www.tunkwalakeresort.com/

The Dude
06-09-2011, 11:04 AM
If you're really lazy, :-) they just stocked Alice Lake north of Squamish, and there's lots of camping and other stuff to do. Peterhope has some big fish, but I think that's more of an advanced lake (deep fishing, etc). My buddy fishes there and slays, but hes an addict, lol.
All the little lakes around Quesnel have nice fish, but it's a long drive.
Also one of the sponsors here has cabins, ( bclakefronts.com) and lots of pics of big fat brook trout....maybe they allow campers? You can always ask.

PS: Just checked that Tunkwa website. Looks alright, lotsa fish, even a playground. LMW might be on to something here :-)

akyne
06-09-2011, 11:08 AM
It's pretty tough to go wrong with a new lake with even a little foresight / research. Most interior lakes are stocked and provide decent fishing, especially for a family outing. In my experience, while the kids might be excited to land a 5lb rainbow, most kids (younger kids anyways) just like to catch fish and plenty of them. You can go onto the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC website and look at stocking reports. Find a lake that isn't restricted much beyond the regional regs and is stocked regularly. While it may not be a trophy lake, it will, on a good day, provide numerous bites with little effort from your part. If you're new to fishing lakes, keep it simple and start trolling to cover water and figure out where the fish are.

Pull out your backroads mapbook and starting looking at lakes where you'd like to go and cross-reference the back pages for descriptions about individual rec-sites, as well as what the fishing may hold. A BCFS rec-site, or provincial park is a big bonus when you have the family in terms of providing basic amenities. The fishing reports aren't always accurate, but I find the write-ups about the rec-sites are pretty telling.

Unfortunately, within a couple hours of Langley, especially on weekends, you're not likely to find a secluded spot where you'll be the only people camping there, but that doesn't mean you can't still find a beautiful spot for a memorable fishing/camping experience. You should be able to decide for yourself within 5 minutes of arriving if it's worth staying. Is it clean? Are the tables and outhouses in decent repair? Does the site have some semblance of organization if other parties are already there or decide to show up later? Even then, I would have to answer a resounding "no" to all of those questions before I kept going to the next spot.

At the end of the day, while the fishing and the scenery can vary from lake to lake, rarely does the exhilaration of just being out there, and that's what it's all about!

mijinkal
06-09-2011, 11:10 AM
Thanks for all the tips guys!
I'm liking the sounds of Shae or Prosser lake. They're a little more off the grid.
I spent a lot of time near Tunkwa last fall. It's a great area, but a little too crowded for me. I don't want to camp in a campground or close to other people.
I know of a few spots I could go to that are way off the grid, but I've never seen anybody fishing there so I'm assuming the fishing isn't the best.
100 mile house is a bit too far for a weekend trip, but I appreciate the advice regardless.

BigfishCanada
06-09-2011, 03:38 PM
OK serious keep this low key, great fishing, i mean great, at my house near kamloops www.bclakefronts.com

Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/British-Columbia-Canada-lakefront-Cabins-near-Kamloops/145712506522

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/www.chriscade.ca/CIMG4222.JPG

mijinkal
06-09-2011, 03:44 PM
lol, thanks. Not a bad idea for a cabin rental for the weekend. Those places look nice. I want to take the dog with us though.
BTW, You don't have any prices on your website.

nano
06-09-2011, 04:48 PM
You could go to Deer, hicks and trout lakes in Harrison. Nice campgrounds and some great fishing too.

Coastfisher
07-04-2012, 09:01 PM
I would suggest any lakes in the kane valley off the cold water river exit its very close to langley and one of my favorite spot there are quite a few lakes up there Upper and Lower Kane, Chicken Ranch, Shea, Harmon they are all nice and all have fish. Shea and Harmon are 2 of my favorites if you want a bigger lake try Bluey, Kentucky or Alleyene they all have nice sites and they are all north of princeton but can be accessed off the kane valley road but they are by aspen grove. Check em out

czechmate
07-04-2012, 09:08 PM
Chataway thataway.

Fishhound
07-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Try Hatheum Lake off of the Okanagan connector its a trophy lake you are only allowed to keep one a day but you could catch a 10lb rainbow trout, small lake big fish

This is an artificial fly lake only, has a very nice campground and a resort

Goliath
07-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Considering your criteria, seriously consider Blue Lake (the one close to Peterhope).

Quite, private, close enough, great fishing.

Good luck.

Coastfisher
07-06-2012, 08:30 PM
Blue Lake?!?!?! Sssssshhhhhh I pulled a 9 pounder out of there