PDA

View Full Version : Rivers up and these guys are 5 months early.

Crazy_Farmer
06-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Somebody should let them know the corn wont be ready to eat for another 5 months.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/Crazy_Farmer/good.jpg

Always get seepage once the river hits 17-18' and holds. More height, more seepage. Theres 100 acres of corn out there, only time will tell how much will be ruined.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/Crazy_Farmer/good2.jpg

nolimits
06-08-2011, 07:06 PM
Where are those pics taken???

lorneparker1
06-08-2011, 08:17 PM

lol

Lorne

nolimits
06-08-2011, 08:19 PM
lol

Lorne

This is not the answer I was hoping for.

longshot
06-08-2011, 08:57 PM
They are in the lands of the CRAZY FARMER...

Crazy_Farmer
06-08-2011, 08:59 PM
What were you hoping for then?

The Rough area, district, M-U area, city, Postal code, Address, Street, GPS coordinates?

Not trying to be a d*ck but you're not the first nor will be the last to ask me locations. Sometimes even the most harmless of questions could have sinister motives.

Ozone
06-08-2011, 09:26 PM

In flooded corn fields

goatdancer
06-08-2011, 09:33 PM

The Rough area, district, M-U area, city, Postal code, Address, Street, GPS coordinates?

Not trying to be a d*ck but you're not the first nor will be the last to ask me locations. Sometimes even the most harmless of questions could have sinister motives.

How about just the province?

Crazy_Farmer
06-08-2011, 09:37 PM
Sure thing, B.C.

shoot2kill
06-08-2011, 10:05 PM
the river, most likley the fraser, corn planting season just began in the fraser valley and not really anywhere else cause the ground needs to warm up in the rest of the province. So i'd say somewhere between agassiz and delta within a km of the river.

Crazy_Farmer
06-08-2011, 10:08 PM
Ding ding ding. We have a winner!!

shoot2kill
06-08-2011, 10:36 PM
honk honk! whad I win? A perrdy stuffed goose for my stuffed goose collection I hope?!
LOL

Bow Walker
06-09-2011, 08:39 AM

Some people just want everything handed to them on a platter.........

heyblast
06-09-2011, 03:44 PM
5 months early and about six to seven feet too short. Nothing like a flooded corn field in the fall if your hunting, no good if your the farmer thou. Looks like your going to loose some of that crop, hope the water drops soon.

06-09-2011, 04:20 PM

Id be good with GPS but i might be able to do with address.
Im not looking for your special spot,, just some where freeking awesome to start :mrgreen:

field marshal
06-09-2011, 04:30 PM
No flooded corn here Adam! Sprouts about 2 inches high and climbing for the sun!Looking good for the Fall?:-D Cheers----Field Marshal.

6.5x55
06-09-2011, 09:33 PM
I've noticed about 3 flocks of about a dozen each around the flooded fields in the upper valley. They all seem to be adults. Is this normal ? I would be expecting them to be paired up with goslings. Is it possible that some nesting sites have been flooded out. Just curious .

heyblast
06-10-2011, 03:54 PM
I'm sure some nests have been lost to rising water, I know of one for sure and that some pairs will try a second time but it's my understanding that Canadas don't nest untill their 2 to 3 years old.

Crazy_Farmer
06-10-2011, 04:50 PM
They're molt migrators I would say.

Yeah Heyblast you're right with the younger birds, that arent breeding yet and stay together in a flock still.

I know our geese in the fall head south to oregon/Cali based on band reports where they get shot, so during spring the head back north here and molt. Hence the molt migrators, they don't go all the way north to AK/Yukon/Territories

heyblast
06-10-2011, 05:58 PM
Never heard the term molt migrator before. I thought waterfowl didn't molt till July or August. Hunted opening day in north eastern Ontario Sept. 15 and found ducks that still counldn't fly [ and no we didn't shot them, so no comments from the experts ] from molting. When you say molt is this a full molt or do they retain their flight feathers for now. Going to have watch closer.

lorneparker1
06-10-2011, 06:22 PM
Never heard the term molt migrator before. I thought waterfowl didn't molt till July or August. Hunted opening day in north eastern Ontario Sept. 15 and found ducks that still counldn't fly [ and no we didn't shot them, so no comments from the experts ] from molting. When you say molt is this a full molt or do they retain their flight feathers for now. Going to have watch closer.

That would take ground swatting to a whole new level! I love it!

6.5x55
06-11-2011, 12:05 PM
thanks for the explanation Crazy , I didn't realize that they would be molting. It explains their reluctance to fly even when approached by the dog.

Crazy_Farmer
06-11-2011, 04:03 PM
Well it's just a nickname given to them. They still can fly now as like Heyblast mentioned molt is normally late june-august. But normally these ones should be pairing and nesting up. Younger birds not old enough still stick together.

Farmer
06-12-2011, 09:56 AM
We don't have seepage in our cornfields, at least not yet, but we do not allow geese or crows in our cornfields when the corn is just up. They will each pick a row and walk down it pulling up each plant and eating the seed. Usually you just have to shoot one. This year there were crows in the field at the same time as the geese, so I shot a crow instead. The geese have not been back.

Ian F.
06-13-2011, 06:11 AM
...... but we do not allow geese or crows in our cornfields when the corn is just up.... ....Usually you just have to shoot one........ Is your last name doolittle? and can you put my name on your depredation permit?