PDA

View Full Version : Boat Storage Solution - Off Season

Riverratz
06-07-2011, 11:03 PM
Boats can be "hunting gear" so I think this fits into this thread category;

All boat owners who don't have access to a storage building always seem have the annual dilemma of where to store their boat in the off-season, especially those who live in areas of REAL winter - as in heavy snowfall.
Storage rental space is expensive. Fabricating some sort of temporary shelter usually leads to frustration or failure, not to mention all sorts of carpentry nightmares. So-called portable garages are OK, but snow-loads usually lead to structural failure and $$$ disaster.
I tried the portable garage idea for two years and it was a pita keeping it clear of snow, not to mention the constant worry of snow-load & collapse.

I purchased this item in the early fall of 2010 and stored our boat under it for the 10/11 winter. It proved to be excellent in every respect. Economical & easy to put up, even the first time. No snow load problems whatsoever as the snow just slides right off on its own due to the steep angle and slippery surface. Even when heavy, wet, sticky snowfall was experienced, a couple of very light taps with a broom and the snow just slides off. Strong winds were no problem, including some real severe storms. This past winter we experienced above average snowfall too, so it got the real-life torture test.

Boat and cover survived the winter perfectly, not so much as a drop of water inside, cover and structure look like brand new.

Product is from a company called "Navigloo" in Quebec. www.navigloo.com, I purchased it thru Costco.ca

No tools required, completely adaptable to any size/shape/style of boat.
All parts are heavy duty plastic of some sort, all horizontal & vertical supports are sleeved and adjustable for length, simple push-pin to secure them. Cover material is very durable poly tarp.....thick and heavy. Framework is completely self-supporting and rigid once in place and cannot fall down in any direction.
About two hours to put it up by myself the first time around, it took some time experimenting to find the best fit. About 10 minutes to take it down this spring and store for next fall. Now that it has been set up once, I figure construct time this fall will be about 30 - 45 min. max.
Comes in two sizes, I got the larger one as our boat is about 23" overall.
Gets my thumbs up as a great product and economical boat storage solution. One year of storage building rental and it has paid for itself.

Here's our boat and how the structure looks;

http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt73/lloymar/Navigloo%20Boat%20Cover/pic1.jpg

http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt73/lloymar/Navigloo%20Boat%20Cover/pic3.jpg

http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt73/lloymar/Navigloo%20Boat%20Cover/pic4.jpg

Steeleco
06-08-2011, 12:08 AM
I did near the same thing with $20 worth of 1" PVC and a good tarp.

Riverratz
06-08-2011, 12:20 AM
I did near the same thing with $20 worth of 1" PVC and a good tarp.

Pffft ........We're talkin' snow here boy.......you know, white stuff that piles up 6 ft. deep. All you guys ever get down there in the lower rainland is ...........rain !!!! Why did you waste your money on PVC pipe when a simple cheap tarp would do the job ? :grin:

Steeleco
06-08-2011, 07:28 AM
Pffft ........We're talkin' snow here boy.......you know, white stuff that piles up 6 ft. deep. All you guys ever get down there in the lower rainland is ...........rain !!!! Why did you waste your money on PVC pipe when a simple cheap tarp would do the job ? :grin:

Valid point RR, but my boat isn't nearly as nice as yours, and I didn't want a 16' swimming pool LOL