PDA

View Full Version : What's your most commonly used method of travel while hunting?

PeaceRegionInfo
06-07-2011, 11:41 AM
When you go hunting what are the 2 most common methods of travel you use (select only 2 from the list)? Don't include time spent traveling to or from a hunting area, only time spent actually hunting.

Barracuda
06-07-2011, 12:41 PM
not really sure how to answer as we use mc or boat or truck to get to and from areas to hunt and i do keep my eyes peeled when i am getting or going somewhere. use the truck when looking for tracks with the dogs.

The Dude
06-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Truck to near top of mountain ----> Foot to top and then bottom of mountain ----> Truck to camp/beer store. (depending on animal hunted)
I only use a quad for retrieval if practical.

Jelvis
06-07-2011, 01:04 PM
One way I use if the slope is fairly steep with about a foot of snow I make my way to the top ridge line by foot, then snow board down with my ott six in my hands zig zagging thru the trees swaying back and forth, my eyes peeled looking for any tell tale movement.
Jelly .. Bo Deli .. Do not try this unless real good at snow boarding ..

sapper
06-08-2011, 02:53 PM
Jelly, that is your best post yet.

Big G Hunter
06-08-2011, 07:49 PM
Usually I get there by truck, then its all by the 2 feetand good boots. Very rarely do I use a quad, except for retreival, (when I can borrow it from my Dad).

finngun
06-08-2011, 08:04 PM
i use my little honda off road bike too...very handy on small roads...going slow--see more but very cold ride late of the season..

BromBones
06-08-2011, 08:22 PM
Boots, and a canoe.

SimilkameenSlayer
06-08-2011, 08:25 PM
toyota land cruiser, but mostly my big smelly feet.

buck nash
06-08-2011, 11:50 PM
Usually drive to my area, park my jeep for the day then its the ol' heel toe express. But it all depends on what I'm after and where I'm hunting. Bear hunting I did a lot of driving around looking for sign.

mungojeerie
06-09-2011, 02:05 AM
I have always hunted on foot, was introduced into hunting by ppl who believed in walking everywhere so I was disappointed when I got back into hunting and my new partner was a dreaded road hunter. He pretty much sticks to his jeep 80% of the time, now mostly because of health reasons.

But honestly though I prefer to do a lot more walking and sitting than he does, I can't say it's been detrimental to him seeing animals. Generally he sees more moose than anyone else we talk to while hunting. Last year we saw 4 cows and met at least that many hunters with cow draws who couldn't find one all week.

sailpunk
06-09-2011, 03:39 PM
I have a sailboat...LOL

gwillim
06-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Pretty much all walking. I have some favourite areas where I have some circuit routes that I walk, game trails, old mining trails and ridge lines. I try to plan the day so that I am never more than 500m from a road, so if I do get something it's not an epic to drag it out.

I would like to do more hunting from my canoe in the future. There are a few places I'm thinking might be promising. Maybe next season!

frenchbar
06-09-2011, 07:43 PM
horse and on foot .

BillyBull
06-13-2011, 09:58 PM
Well the trip in is with 2 4x4-trailers, then its on all foot working the meadows, crossing the creeks/rivers in bare feet or waders and after the animal is down we now use the ATV to haul the load out instead of dragging the miles....

Buckmeister
06-13-2011, 11:20 PM
One way I use if the slope is fairly steep with about a foot of snow I make my way to the top ridge line by foot, then snow board down with my ott six in my hands zig zagging thru the trees swaying back and forth, my eyes peeled looking for any tell tale movement.

Jelly, that is your best post yet.

He left out the part about doing it naked!

hunter1947
06-14-2011, 03:39 AM
For me on foot..

moose2
06-14-2011, 07:15 AM
I use a guad or truck to get to camp , then all hunting is done on foot. For mountian species I will walk as far as it takes. For moose and elk I try to hunt areas on foot that I could get a quad into for retrieval. I will use a vehicle to scout a different area for sign , but once I find it I am back on my feet again.
Mike

MichelD
06-14-2011, 11:05 PM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e369/Hublocker/MichelJune2011027.jpgMy gate cheater. The little white truck gets me there though.

Surrey Boy
06-16-2011, 04:05 PM
MichelD does it again. Bicycle hunting is underrated - stealthy, fast, easy to strap a kill to, cheaper than a horse and more politically correct than an ATV. Only thing is you have to be in shape.

bear buster
06-16-2011, 08:22 PM

So what if you shoot something at top of mountain....who rides the board down? the hunter or the hunted? or is it 2 birds one ....snow board.

new hunter
06-18-2011, 10:46 AM
Truck for small game show leather for deer.