PDA

View Full Version : Platue Lake, near Peterhope

trevstar33
06-07-2011, 09:01 AM
I have been invited to fish this lake in a couple of weeks. Is anyone familiar with this lake? I will be flyfishing so looking for tips on flies, hotspots ect. I practice catch and release so don't worry I won't be taking any of your fish. :mrgreen:

Big Lew
06-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Out from the boat launch and immediately to the left, as well as across and along the edges of the shoals to the narrows is good with scuds and chironomids. On the other side of the narrows and left along the weed edge is dynamite after sunset during a sedge hatch for large fish. Along the far end of the lake weed edge can be good as well both during the day and evening. In the deepest part of the lake in front of the far end produces very large fish using leeches, dragon fly nymphs, large careys etc. during the day. Let them sink right down to the bottom, and then strip them up using short quick jerks, just a few at a time.

trevstar33
06-07-2011, 01:06 PM
Out from the boat launch and immediately to the left, as well as across and along the edges of the shoals to the narrows is good with scuds and chironomids. On the other side of the narrows and left along the weed edge is dynamite after sunset during a sedge hatch for large fish. Along the far end of the lake weed edge can be good as well both during the day and evening. In the deepest part of the lake in front of the far end produces very large fish using leeches, dragon fly nymphs, large careys etc. during the day. Let them sink right down to the bottom, and then strip them up using short quick jerks, just a few at a time.

Wow, great help thanks...

Keep your tip up. Trev

lovemywinchester
06-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Awesome lake when its on. We try to make it up there once a year for a few days. Its high up so be prepared for cold. Rough road up to it as well. Saw a grizzly there about three years ago. Normal trout fly lake, bring lots of Tom Thumbs for the last 2 hours of day. Watch out for the stink. The camp sites all smell like an outhouse for some reason. Not sure why but I can smell it now just thinking about it. Blue, Glimpse and Peterhope Lake all close by with big trout. Awesome area.

Big Lew
06-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Forgot to warn you, that lake has a nasty bottom, so if, by mis-adventure, you have to swim to shore, don't stand up once in the shallows! Keep swimming until you can grab something on shore.

trevstar33
06-08-2011, 09:06 AM
Forgot to warn you, that lake has a nasty bottom, so if, by mis-adventure, you have to swim to shore, don't stand up once in the shallows! Keep swimming until you can grab something on shore.

Thanks....Hopefully I won't be swimming..........

huntcoop
06-08-2011, 09:07 AM

LOL, what does that mean............

Big Lew
06-08-2011, 10:42 AM
LOL, what does that mean............
It means that the lake shore has a soft marl bottom, and if you try to stand, you will sink deeply, and have great difficulty getting out without help, if at all.

huntcoop
06-08-2011, 12:05 PM
It means that the lake shore has a soft marl bottom, and if you try to stand, you will sink deeply, and have great difficulty getting out without help, if at all.

Oh my.....

trevstar33
06-15-2011, 10:28 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/fish_2a.jpg
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/fish_3a.jpg
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/fish_4a.jpg

Thanks for your help guys ( special thanks to Big Lew ), it was a great weekend, lots of fish and good weather.

Big Lew
06-15-2011, 03:34 PM
Fantastic! I'm glad I could help. I've fished that lake many times since 1970. It does suffer from winter kill occasionally, but most years it's great,(looks like you found some of the nice ones) and the area around it is good for the family to explore.